Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RR501 and DS10a signal boost  (Read 4373 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
RR501 and DS10a signal boost
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »

I have a DS10a in my basement attached to my garage door.  Open the door triggers the DS10a and sets a couple macros in motion.   The problem is that even with the antenna mod, sometimes my CM15A doesn' pick up the DS10a RF signal. 

Could I use an RR501 to solve this issue?

Thanks.

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Re: RR501 and DS10a signal boost
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »

You may want to search for the many antenna mods for the cm15a to help with reception. I did the simple 18" wire taped to the existing antenna and that helped a lot. Another trick I did was for a double door setup. In my family room is a door you open to go down a few steps to open the outside door. I have a ds10a on the outside door and we keep the inside door closed all the time and that kills the transmit on the ds10a.

So I extended the wires on the mag switches and moved the ds10a through the inside door and mounted it inside the family room. Now my cm15a hears it all the time. Maybe you could extend the wires on your ds10a and move it closer to your cm15a?

peg-leg

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »

I've already done the antenna mode.  I built the large antenna with coaxial connection to my CM15a.  It definitely helped.

I also extended the wires on a DS10a, but for a different reason.  I have one DS10A that's registered to my DS7000.  It's connected to my screened in deck door.  My theory there is that if an intruder sets off the alarm before even entering my back door, he'll most likely not proceed any further. 

The problem I ran  into was cold weather kills the batteries.  I used phone wire to extend the sensor wire and mounted the main part of the sensor inside.  It's working great all the time now.

For the garage door sensor it would be impractical to extend the wires due to the distance to my CM15A.  I've heard the RR501 can receive RF and convert to a powerline signal.  If so, this would solve my problem.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »

sometimes my CM15A doesn' pick up the DS10a RF signal. 

Thanks.
No.
The RR501 transceivces X10 RF commands to powerline. What you need to to repeat the RF signal. X10 used to make a "Smart RF Repeater". You may find one on eBay.
Best solution is the find a way to get the CM15A reliably receiving the DS10 signal. Which antenna mod did you add to the CM15A?  The "F connector with a half wave antenna" mod should give the greatest range. I will try to find the link.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

peg-leg

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »

I did the F connector mod. I get around 150ft reception using my 16 button remote.   I've modded a DS10a with a longer antenna, I just haven't tried it yet. Fortunately the problem is rare, but I'd like to make it non existent.

Thanks for your input.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »

Thanks.
To answer the question directly posed here - No. To expand on Dave W's reply, the RR501 and/or TM751 only take remote control RF (Examples- NStinct, SS13A, HR12A Palmpad) and convert them into PLC.

In your case, the DS10A's signal has to be heard by the CM15A or (if you used it) the CM19A directly- they're the only modules to see and act on Security code devices.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »

... I've modded a DS10a with a longer antenna, I just haven't tried it yet. Fortunately the problem is rare, but I'd like to make it non existent.

I would love to know how you modded the ds10a antenna. Could you explain, maybe with some pics?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

I would also be interested in the antenna mod to the DS10A worked.
As from looking at a few of the photos of the PC board. It looks like the antenna and the tuned oscillator are the same PC run.
So I am wondering if your mod detuned it.

There is no FCC database data on the DS10A like many of the other X10 RF devices.

Second photo of this thread. I believe the round PCB run with the split at one end and the surface mounted cap on the other is the antenna.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=15686.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:01:21 AM by Brian H »

peg-leg

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

I haven't tested the modified DS10A yet, so I have no idea if the mod helped.  I will do so soon though.

The only changed I made was to solder a 12" length of wire to the ds10a's  existing antenna.  Someone else had posted a similar mod on the forum and I simply copied theirs.

I'll update with results in the next week.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.