Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Am I missing something obvious?  (Read 9372 times)

kfreels

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Am I missing something obvious?
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »

I'm looking at X10 for security because it seems to be the only way I can find that will allow me a way to configure the system to send me a text message when an alarm is tripped. However, I seem some major pieces missing here.
First is what appears to be a total lack of a keypad for arming and disarming the system. I have to give a remote to my wife and all three kids. If that remote gets dropped, lost, or stolen the system is no longer secure. Also, it's a pain in the rear carrying an extra remote. Sure, I can hide a remote around the house, but that seems to be a rather tacky way to disarm a system with as much capability as this.
On top of that, there is the ugly box that an intruder can smash to stop the alarm and dialer. One yank and the thing is useless. A wall mount would also be more useful rather than taking up table space with this ugly little box.

So are there other hardware pieces out there compatible with this system that will do these things? Or is this all there is?

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Am I missing something obvious?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »

There's no keypad for arming the DS7000.  Remotes are required to disarm the system. However you can arm the DS7000 keypad with a 90 second delay to exit your home.

If someone loses a remote, you simply reset the DS7000 by powering if off.  This erases all registered sensors and remotes.  It's a little bit of a pain, but your system would again be secure. 

I have wall mounted my DS7000 in an area that would be hard for an intruder to find.  Wall mounts are readily available on Ebay.

You may be trading off having a keypad for convenience, but you'll be saving $35 or more monthly by not paying for a monitored service.  You just have to decide what fits your lifestyle the best.  There are other DIY systems on the market that offer keypad access.  I don't know if they send text or email alerts.  You will need a full time running computer and AHP to send text and email alerts from your DS7000.

Hope this helps.

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »

I had the same feelings when I first looked at the ds7000 but to tell the truth, in the few short weeks I've had the system, I prefer the remotes. However, here is a thread that talks about making a wireless keypad to disarm the system.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22025.0

As for losing a remote, I had the same thoughts but once I understood how the system works I realized it wasn't a big deal to clear and reprogram as kfreels already mentioned. And yes, they do offer a wall mount for $10 either at x10 or on ebay. Just add the wall mount on your next order.

For the system to send you a text message you might need something like activehome pro and/or a 3rd party software like pc-companion. However, you do realize you can program up to 4 different numbers in to the console that can call your cell phone?

Brandt

• Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »

If you run HA software you can easily setup a touch screen with a number pad pin to arm/disarm.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

If you run HA software you can easily setup a touch screen with a number pad pin to arm/disarm.

Hey, I like that idea. Adds to the "Geek" factor so my family can have another reason to call me "Your such a Geek!"

Brandt

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »

sure if you want some details let me know

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

sure if you want some details let me know

Oh yeah, would love some details.

Brandt

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »

first what HA software do you have and what touch screen device do you have available (preferably a wifi one you can leave at home)

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »

first what HA software do you have and what touch screen device do you have available (preferably a wifi one you can leave at home)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, so it might be better to start another. But currently I use AHP and the only touch screen I have at the moment is a PC touch screen monitor. That said, I don't mind getting something else.

I'm sorry kfreels, do you have anymore questions about your new security system? As you can see, there are many ways to modify a system to do what you want. There are many people here that have been doing this for a long time and have come up with many ingenius ways to overcome problems.

mrpush

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »

Hi,

These system have some shortcomings that you might not be able to live with.   Not only do I agree with you, I own one and have experience.  The lack of a key pad by doors is a major problem.  We have lost remotes or can't find then when we need to disarm.  Carry is a pain.

Also, if you put the consle in a secure location, then you nullify the DB's of the siren and make it less useful.

There are many limitations with this system that we have not been able to live with.  I'm not bashing X10, they have some great stuff, but this system need some serious improvements.  I don't see them in the new unit, just some design changes and gimmicks.  Cell phone operation is good however.

Read some of my experience here:

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22649.0

Thanks,

M

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »

X10 has a new model that is better.
Right now we don't have any user feedback, but I expect we will shortly.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc1200_security_lcd_new.html

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.