Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wanting a non-EagleEye occupancy sensor switch solution  (Read 5212 times)

kamiller42

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wanting a non-EagleEye occupancy sensor switch solution
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »

I am looking for an occupancy sensor switch like the one X10 compares itself to, the Leviton wall switch, http://www.x10.com/home_automation/ms14a_ha_leviton_occupancy_sensor_wall_switch.html.

I know I can setup an EagleEye sensor with an X10 wall switch to get the same effect, but I like the all-in-one, nice looking solution like Leviton's. I just wish it was X10 controllable.

Does X10 have a product like that? I have some cheaper ones from $15 to $20, but again, they are not part of the X10 network.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wanting a non-EagleEye occupancy sensor switch solution
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »

I looked at the ACP10 installation manual. It does not look like it has an automation features and can not be controlled by an X10 signal. As you indicated.

The MS14A is only a motion sensor. It would also need a RF receiver like an RR501,TM751 or CM15A to name a few. Plus an X10 Outlet or Wall switch to complete the setup.

I have not seen a compareable X10 one.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »

Does X10 have a product like that?
No.
The link you site IS X10's answer to the Leviton switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

kamiller42

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM »

Thanks guys. That's disappointing. It seems a product like that would fit nicely in X10's product portfolio.

My goal is to have the lights automatically go on in a couple of bathrooms.

Does X10 have a product like that?
No.
The link you site IS X10's answer to the Leviton switch.

It's not a great solution for indoors. The brown MS14a is not very attractive, it's an extra device and requires installing an X10 device to receive the ON command, and requires battery baby sitting which an in-wall solution wouldn't.

The link I provided doesn't really make sense. They compare a motion sensing wall switch with a motion sensor. That's like comparing a lamp shade with a light switch.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »

Then the big box home supply store can fix you right up!

I use the NON-X10 motion sensor switches in my garage and a laundry room... they're GREAT. There isn't anything X10 control could add to them... that I can think of. Some [bath] areas aren't well suited for motion sensor lighting.. as the shower/tub area is blocked from motion sensing.

Being a little creative... may find a solution that might include a separate light and an X10 motion sensor that could be ceiling mounted in the shower.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

kamiller42

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

Then the big box home supply store can fix you right up!

I use the NON-X10 motion sensor switches in my garage and a laundry room... they're GREAT. There isn't anything X10 control could add to them... that I can think of. Some [bath] areas aren't well suited for motion sensor lighting.. as the shower/tub area is blocked from motion sensing.

Being a little creative... may find a solution that might include a separate light and an X10 motion sensor that could be ceiling mounted in the shower.
That's what I will end up doing. I just like getting X10 versions of switches and other fixtures if competitively priced. I could buy a regular switch, or I could buy one with a brain (X10).  ;D

I thought of two uses for an X10 switch in the bathroom:
1) Give the place a lived in look when away.
2) Play a prank on someone in the bathroom. Just kidding.  ;)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:15 AM »

2) Play a prank on someone in the bathroom. Just kidding.  ;)

Boy, that takes me back.  When my youngest son was about 9 (he's 17 now) he convinced us that he could handle scary movies.  We rented "Poltergeist".  At bedtime, I had rigged up a 96" florescent light in the upstairs bathroom along with a smoke machine that I X10'ed.  I then propped a sock in the door so it wouldn't close.

I told the older boys to go to bed and wait about 10 minutes then start banging on the walls, floors, etc. 

Long story short, I spent the next week sleeping on the couch.

BUT........ the kid and I still have a great laugh every time the story comes around.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »

Boy, that takes me back.  When my youngest son was about 9 (he's 17 now) he convinced us that he could handle scary movies.  We rented "Poltergeist".  At bedtime, I had rigged up a 96" florescent light in the upstairs bathroom along with a smoke machine that I X10'ed.  I then propped a sock in the door so it wouldn't close.
I told the older boys to go to bed and wait about 10 minutes then start banging on the walls, floors, etc. 
A dark side of Knight has come to light. <pun>

So how long did it take for your youngin' to resume using that upstairs bathroom?  ;D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

bout as long as it took me to get off the couch.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.