Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New AHP Version 3.305 Released 1/20/2011  (Read 26569 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: New AHP Version 3.305 Released 1/20/2011
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »

Dan: the X10 programmers in their wisdom added soft start modules and defind them as regular lamp modules they made a new category for old non soft start lamp and switches.
A better idea  -:)  would have been for them to make a new module type for the new softstart!
If you update to a version with softstart you must reconfigure all your lamp module types  to old non softstart! B:(
A picture is worth a thousand words!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

I wounder if you do the update from a version before the soft start modules where split out. To a newer version that does. The lamp and wall switch definitions get messed up.

A good programmer would have included an automatic, or at least a manual, conversion routine to handle this switch definition change.

Back compatibility with already existing .ahx files should really be an important requirement for any AHP upgrade.   :'
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »

Problem could be. Many never saw the wiki fix to call them LM14As. So they where LM465s and they don't ID what type they are. Insteons do.  ;D

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »

I use the same .ahx files.  I only have 1 soft-start wall switch in in upstairs room that has no timers.  Everything else is non soft-start modules. I have 2 soft-start modules (marked with a SS in indelible black ink) in my Spare Box that will probably never get used. All modules and wall switches are ones I've been using since the early days (mid-1980's) and every one works fine.  X10 still needs to beaten with sticks for not changing the module numbers for soft-start modules. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »

I use the same .ahx files.  I only have 1 soft-start wall switch in in upstairs room that has no timers. 
Well that is one reason why your timers failed!
But there seems to be a issue with the dusk setting maybe even the dawn setting! I'll have to check that one as I don't usethe dawn setting! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

Since I read here that if you use 3.304 or 3.305 you have to rebuild every .ahx file you have it's another reason to avoid 3.304 or 3.305.  Since I have 10 regular .ahx files that are used during the year plus 3 that are "special" .ahx files that are only used at certain times of the year or for special occasions, that's a LOT of .ahx files to be totally rebuilt.  X10 "dropped the ball" again, they should have only added the soft-start modules in a list and left all the "old style" alone.

Good old 3.228 and 3.296 had none of that "hoo-how".   B:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

Well I'm sure  X10 isn't going to make it so old users don't have to update they're AHX file now!
Hey but stranger things have happened! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

I agree that this wasn't the best course of action to have taken.
However, the problem started a few years ago (before the current developers came on board), when the hardware engineers released a new module, but used the same number as the old one. Since the two are not 100% compatible, they should have changed the module number.

There should be a way for AHP to take an existing AHX file, and "convert" it so that any "lamp" modules become "old lamp" modules.
It is a one-time conversion, but for someone like Dan, with a dozen or so AHX files, it is a pain to do manually.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »

It is a one-time conversion, but for someone like Dan, with a dozen or so AHX files, it is a pain to do manually.
Well Dan has a small setup!
Many of us use multiple AHX files and some very complicated setups with more then two dozen lamp modules in each AHX file.
The fact is all the long time users had already learned to work with the smartstart modules and now we have to make changes again! B:(
The damage is done! Changing it back or making a AHX conversion is only going to add to the problem now!
The Programmers know this forum exists!
How difficult would it have been to start a simple request for suggestion thread? ??? ::) :'
But then X10 could say "Hey we're not paying for that idea! It's not yours!" ::)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:42:50 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »

Just for the record, my system isn't small, I have 32 modules of various types in my system 24/7/365/366 days, at Christmas time add 7 more modules (3m lamp and 2 appliance).

Just because I don't need or use any plug-ins doesn't mean I have a small system

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »

I didn't mean to demean your setup Dan, but there are users that have over 200 modules in there setups!
256 is the maximum but even that could be stretched if one was creative, so by comparison your setup is on the small side.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »

It does for us what we want it to do.  My wife loves it, we NEVER come home at night to to a dark house.  My only wish is for a dual module (wall switch type) that would control both the fan and the lights for our Dining Room fan/light. It would need a appliance module for the fan and a light switch to control the fan.   If x10 or somebody here could create one, I'd gladly pay it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

It would be nice if X10 made a "Fan Module" of some sort. Would be nice as well as many other devices that would remove an obstacle or two for this person or that person. I am sure the folks at X10 like money as well as the rest of us... so they must think there isn't any money in it for them.

I found this:  The Hunter Fan 27185 Light Remote Control is equipped with separate buttons for 6-fan speeds and an instant off. You'll also enjoy the option of full-range light dimming. Manual light operation is also possible with the wall switch access plate. A unique switch plate holder is included with this remote control.

It would be simple enough to buy one fan and an extra remote. Then hack the extra remote with Universal Modules.

I control a simple tower fan using a IR PowerMid device and a USB IR device on my HA PC. There is always another way to get to separate the fur coat from the kitty.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 02:49:16 PM »

It would be nice if X10 made a "Fan Module" of some sort. Would be nice as well as many other devices that would remove an obstacle or two for this person or that person. I am sure the folks at X10 like money as well as the rest of us... so they must think there isn't any money in it for them.

I found this:  The Hunter Fan 27185 Light Remote Control is equipped with separate buttons for 6-fan speeds and an instant off. You'll also enjoy the option of full-range light dimming. Manual light operation is also possible with the wall switch access plate. A unique switch plate holder is included with this remote control.

It would be simple enough to buy one fan and an extra remote. Then hack the extra remote with Universal Modules.

I control a simple tower fan using a IR PowerMid device and a USB IR device on my HA PC. There is always another way to get to separate the fur coat from the kitty.

Nice idea, Dave, but a bit too complicated for what I'd like.  I'll stick with what I have (one standard light switch and two chains) unless x10 decides to make the module. (Fat Chance  B:( )

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »

It does for us what we want it to do.  My wife loves it, we NEVER come home at night to to a dark house.  My only wish is for a dual module (wall switch type) that would control both the fan and the lights for our Dining Room fan/light. It would need a appliance module for the fan and a light switch to control the fan.   If x10 or somebody here could create one, I'd gladly pay it!!!
Ideally, they should have a "lamp" module for the light, which would allow dimming, and a three-level dimming module (most ceiling fans are three-speed).
The only problem is that if you want to use CFLs in your fan, you'd need an on/off (non-dimming) lamp module.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.