Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I control another X10 device when my floodcam motion detector is activated?  (Read 7358 times)

vanda32547

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Need some advice and help please ...

I just replaced a X10 dual floodlight PR511-HA with motion decection with a floodcam VT38A. I want to activate another X10 device when the floodcam senses motion. HOW? I was able to do this with my old unit by adjusting the little switches inside on the PR511, however the VT38A does not have these switches inside the control panel.

Is it possible to activate another device with this unit?  ???

Regards,
Bob

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

The House Code and Unit dials set the address for the unit. Like all cameras it uses the unit group of four. 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16.
The address is used to turn it on but the manual also indicates if it goes on from motion. It sends an X10 RF On to the address it is set to. Normally that would turn off any other cameras in the group, but since it is an on command.  Any other X10 module would go on also if set to the address and you have a transceiver. Guess it could also trigger a macro in AHP.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:32:06 PM by Brian H »

vanda32547

With my old X10 dual floodlight PR511-HA with motion detection I was able to turn on a lamp in the house, indicating someone was on my property. I want to be able to do the same thing with my VT38A floodcam but can't figure out if it is possible?

Brian H

• Community Organizer

I looked at the manual for the PR511-HA and it looks like it can control four addresses by power line signals.
The VT38 does not send an X10 Power Line signal only has a power line receiver in it to turn it On and Off in manual.
It does send an X10 RF On signal, to its address, when the camera turns On by motion.

You could use a transceiver to put the RF signal from the camera on to the power line or AHP with a CM15A interface with a macro.

To control the lamp in the house. It will have to be set to the same address used to control the VT38A and a transceiver like a TM751 be used to put the RF X10 On signal on to the power line.

vanda32547

I looked at the manual for the PR511-HA and it looks like it can control four addresses by power line signals.
The VT38 does not send an X10 Power Line signal only has a power line receiver in it to turn it On and Off in manual.
It does send an X10 RF On signal, to its address, when the camera turns On by motion.

You could use a transceiver to put the RF signal from the camera on to the power line or AHP with a CM15A interface with a macro.

To control the lamp in the house. It will have to be set to the same address used to control the VT38A and a transceiver like a TM751 be used to put the RF X10 On signal on to the power line.

Yes I have the CM15A and plenty of TM751's but what about controlling a Socket Rocket unit?

Bob

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Program the Socket Rocket to the address being sent by the floodcam.
The CM15A or a TM751 will take the X10 RF signal and send it over the power line to the Socket Rocket.

vanda32547

Program the Socket Rocket to the address being sent by the floodcam.
The CM15A or a TM751 will take the X10 RF signal and send it over the power line to the Socket Rocket.

Tried doing what you suggested and had no luck. Even though I reprogrammed the socket rocket to the same House & Unit Code as the VT38A unit.  -:)

EXAMPLE ...
Let's say I chose to set my TM751 transceiver to House Code A for all of my exterior lighting needs. Leaving unit code 1 unassigned, since I could plug something in the transceiver itself. I continue to program Unit Code 2,3 and 4 (Floodcam Group) and I program my socket rocket to House Code A Unit 2. When the floodcam assigned to House code A Unit 2 goes active it should by your explanation ALSO turn on the socket rocket?

Is this correct?  ???
If so, that is exactly what I did with no positive results. What am I missing here?  :(

Regards,
Bob 

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Well if the VT38A is addressed A2, TM751 on A and the Socket Rocket is programmed to A2.
When the camera goes on it should activate the Socket Rocket.

Few things I can think of. The RF signal from the VT38A is not reaching the TM751 or the power line signal from the TM751 is not reaching the Socket Rocket.
Would you happen to have an X10 remote that you could stand near the TM751 and see if it can control the Socket Rocket in question. That would be a rough test of the power line signal.
If you reset the VT38A to A1 you could see if the TM751 went on with the VT38A. I don't think the VT38A sends any off signals. So after a light goes on it may not go back off when the camera stops.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.