Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help with powerflash or substitute  (Read 3704 times)

smithcferg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
help with powerflash or substitute
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:43:48 AM »

I need to monitor a when a house generator comes on/shuts off, and when the power  comes on/shuts off.   There is an automatic transfer switch that sometimes doesn't work quite right, and without going into details, would be very problematic to just change out. 

The transfer switch has been set up with two relays - one that closes when power comes on, and one that closes when the generator comes on.  I am not currently invested in any x10 equipment.  I was going to get two PSC01 switches, a c17a firecracker and either the tm or the rr plugin transciever in conjunction with an old computer that is hooked into a ups.  This is a cheap way to do offsite remote monitoring, using software like Active Home Vista.

So I thought using the PSC01 switch would be a good idea, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet.  Can anyone lead me to a place that still sells these for a non-astronomical price?  Or alternatively, is there another product made by x10 or another company  that  would easily communicate with computer software so I can keep track of this . . . or some other product that can be easily modified to serve the same or similar purpose?  I did look at the DS10a wireless door switches by x10, but this doesn't seem like a very direct solution.

Thanks for all your help in advance@!

Craig

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: help with powerflash or substitute
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:48 AM »

The PSC01 Powerflash module. Takes a 0-18 volts low voltage input or dry contact input {Switch selected} and sends a power line signal. Determined by its mode switch.

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/psc01.pdf

The CM17A Serial Firecracker is strictly RF so it has no way of seeing anything on the power lines. Including the PSC01 power line commands.

TM751 and RR501 take RF signals and send them on the power lines. They will not take a X10 power line command and send an RF command back to the CM17A.

Agreed X10 prices have gone up and I believe I saw the PSC01 on a discontinued list.

smithcferg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I have just found the insteon  iolinc devices.  Are they a good substitute for the psc01?  Their manual says they can not only sense contact closures and broadcast x10 signals, but they can also open/close relays. 

I thought the firecracker <-> transceiver was a bidirectional path; thanks for catching that.  I really need the contact closure data to be able to go to the computer fr this to work.  It looks like they also discontinued the c15a  :-*

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Craig

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:42:31 AM »

I do know the I/OLinc can have an X10 address programmed into it triggered by the dry contact sensor input.
I don't remember if the relay uses the same X10 address or could also be assigned a different one.
I will test one and hope to have added data for you.

I have no idea if the program mentioned in a Smarthome Forum post would do anything for you but I know the author is very good at knowing X10 and Insteon. It also can be used with a few different X10 interfaces including the CM11A that one of the on line vendors has a large quantity of.
I believe they bought a whole production run of them.

http://www.madreporite.com/deus.htm

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-genuine-cm11a-activehome-serial-computer-interface
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:33:49 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »

If your power goes out (and the transfer switch doesn't work correctly), how do you plan on monitoring the status of those relays?
Do you have the computer on a UPS? I have heard reports of X10 PLC commands not working well on UPS-power.

You might look into doing this with an Arduino. It can be hooked up to monitor the contact closures on the relays, and log that information, either to the Pc, or an SD card (if you get the right shields for the Arduino).

Run the Arduino off a rechargeable battery (with a trickle-charger to keep it topped off), and you shouldn't have any issues with power knocking it off.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.