Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: X-10 Modules not Responding after Smart Meter Install  (Read 109022 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: X-10 Modules not Responding after Smart Meter Install
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

have you passed on your results to the Duke engineer Paul?

No, I had not contacted Duke directly because my customer was in close contact with them, but I will do so now.

FYI, I added a Smart Meter Rejection kit to the XTB Ordering page.  I only have components for a few of the kits because the ferrite filters are on backorder.  I also have not ordered the components for my own custom filter because there has been no interest at all in the fix.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »

Good, when (and If BGE (Baltimore Gas Electric) starts converting to Smart Meters, I'll be ordering one.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:08 AM »

Good, when (and If BGE (Baltimore Gas Electric) starts converting to Smart Meters, I'll be ordering one.
You might want to wait and see if they cause any problems first. It is a lot of money to spend on something you might not need.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2012, 01:52:25 AM »

You might want to wait and see if they cause any problems first. It is a lot of money to spend on something you might not need.

The fix should also prevent neighbor's noisy CFLs from affecting your X10 systems.   ;)

BTW, those special low-frequency clamp-on ferrite filters cost about 15 bucks each.

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »

The fix should also prevent neighbor's noisy CFLs from affecting your X10 systems.   ;)

BTW, those special low-frequency clamp-on ferrite filters cost about 15 bucks each.

Jeff

Jeff - I know it isn't a HUGE amount of money, and I'm sure it is well-worth the investment if you have a SmartMeter that is causing problems with your system. However, if you don't have a problematic SmartMeter (we have reports of other makes/models NOT causing problems), then why spend the money?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »

Noam,

You misunderstood me.  I am not advocating installing the kit unless someone indeed has a problem with signals coming in over their powerline.  I was just trying to point out that the kit will not only help with a smart meter, but it will also help block signals coming in from other sources too.

Since I don't make the clamp-on filters or the XPNR, I get very little out of making it available.  The filters are not available through a distributor, and they cost about $15 each with shipping in a lot of 20 (the smallest quantity they sell).

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »

Jeff -
I certainly didn't think you were suggesting people buy stuff they don't need (you're so humble, you don't even push YOUR products, even when the need for them is so obvious!), I'm sorry if my earlier post came across that way.
I wonder if your clamp-on filter solution would have helped me a few years ago with the problems I had from my neighbor's bad CFL. Of course my solution (buy him a pair of new $7 bulbs) was probably cheaper.  ;)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »

I wonder if your clamp-on filter solution would have helped me a few years ago with the problems I had from my neighbor's bad CFL.

Since measurements show the ferrite filters reduce the powerful smart meter signal down to a very low level, they would also be effective blocking other noise too.  The configuration of the shunt filter would depend on what type of noise is causing the problem.

Jeff

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

with the interest in smart meters, this link may be of interest to some...  3 pages of posts....

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=143299&page=3
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.