🔌General Home Automation > Automated Home Showcase

Tuicemen's Off grid setup!

(1/44) > >>

Tuicemen:
Many regulars here know I've been working on a Log home as a retirement home which is totally off grid.
This has produced some challenges but once I had a pure sinewave inverter installed it made X10 possible.

Current setup:
Stand alone controllers:

* CM15A(1)w/ ActiveHome Pro v3.318 HomeGenie (HG) & Ha-Bridge
* WM100 and Wi-Fi app
Plugins: none in use as I move to a Raspberry Pi setup
* SmartMacros
* iWitness
* MyHouse Online
* On Alert
Computers:

* Toshiba laptop AMD E2-1800 APU 1.70 GHz 4 GB of ram(used in the city as well but mainly just for HomeGenie (HG) debugging and Programing)
* HP Thin Client 1.66 GHZ atom 3 GB ram 40gig hard drive running Windows 10( used as an alternate streaming device and for debugging HG)
* Raspberry Pi 3B+ running HG and HA-Bridge
* ODROID C0 embedded in a CM15 running Domotics and mochad (this is currently only in testing for Domotics) failed to perform
Addons: Currently these are only used while I'm Programing as the CM15A runs connected to the Pi 
* AlertDialer(no longer in use)
* PC Companion (all plug-ins)(no longer in use)
* BlueWatch(no longer in use)
* TAC(no longer in use)
* UltraLight[/color](no longer in use)
Other Programs: These are used to control X10 and other protocols from my pi

* Home Genie (HG) this is a multi OS compatible web interface type program and is now the primary program for controlling things
* HA-Bridge also a multi OS compatible program allowing integration of other protocols not supported by Home Genie  this also turns the pi into a Philip Hue Hub and adds Amazon Alexa control of devices configured in it
* Domoticz& mochadcurrently testing and comparing to HG
TRANSMITTERS-WIRELESS:

* -RM Broadlink Pro Provides Wi-Fi to RF & IR
* - keychain button type battery (KR19A)

CAMERAS:
 - cam anywhere(no longer in use)
 - non X10 flood type with built in SD card to monitor the vegetable garden and scare of would be pests during growing season
 - Bushnell Trail Camera (monitors mineral lick put out for the deer)
 - EasyN 9outdoor IP camera)
 - Airsight XX70A outdoor PTZ
 -Airsight XX59 indoor
 - X10 linked ball cam

Modules: X10 and other protocol
- Appliances(AM486)
 - 3 Pin Appliance module (AM466)
 - 1 WS469 switch
 - Wall Receptacle module (PA011)
 - Universal module (UM506)
 - SR751 RF signal repeater (increases RF range to over 200 feet)
 - 3 Wijit RF appliance type modules
 - 1 sonoff Wi-Fi low power control module

MOTION SENSORS:
- 2 EagleEye (MS14A)(no longer in use)

UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROLS:
 - Icon Remote (no longer in use)
 -Platinum remote (UR73A)

SECURITY:
  -DS7000 Protector Plus Security System
 - Door/Window Sensors
 - Motion sensors MS10A( not in use as I don't want critters triggering the alarm)
 - SH624 & Security Keychain Remotes

MICELLANEOUS:
 - VCR Commander (no longer in use, the linked camera has a micoSD card)
 - EasyBulb Wi-Fi LED lights
 - XTBM Signal analyzer
 - Amazon Dot
 - Brodlink RM

Additional Notes:
* The Broadlink RM pro provides RF and IR control of almost every thing 
* Amazon Dot provides voice control of Just about everything RF (even X10 Securirty), IR, and X10PLC  via the Broadlink Homegenie and HA-Bridge softwares
* I'll add to the list as I acquire more

Tuicemen:
The House is a log home I've been working on for over 10 years and did most of the work myself!
I utilized a horse to drag the logs out of the bush and used ropes and pulleys to get the logs in place.
Since this is totally off Grid I'm using solar panels for most of my power although I do have a small 400 watt wind generator.
I've just installed a Back up generator which was specially designed for off grid applications ( I really need this in the winter) to help with long periods of no sun.

The main X10 part of this setup is the DS7000 Which I posted about here in Topic: Security for Remote Places  (Read 52155 times)
Since I had a phone line run in underground notification of an alarm was a simple add.

Internet I figured would be a slow dial up connection or maybe a wireless connection as the neighbour has that.
As it turns out I'm close enough that I can get a DSL connection which ends up being just as fast as the wireless but more reliable.
I got a modem wireless router combo as the fewer things plugged in the better (solar issue).
Getting out my killoWatt meter I soon found the modem was using more power than I wished it to.
In fact there are a few things that are like this.
Enter X10!
X10 doesn't save me on power costs as I have none during the sunny months (generator fuel costs have yet to be determined)
During the day time hours I usually produce more power then I can use. But I night I'm drawing off my batteries.
X10 modules allow me to automatically turn off devices that I wouldn't be using during none waking hours.
The wireless router modem being one.
The radiant flooring circulating pumps is another place.
The CM15A turns these on and off periodically threw the night the thermostat kicks in the others when and if needed.
I also have the Cm15A turn these on for the weekends and off threw the week for times I'm not there
I haven't got the outside wood furnace setup with X10 (yet).
Since it has Backup fuel capability (propane) I'll be able to trigger this to come on before I get there for a week end or vacation.
Sure X10 modules use a small amount of power but the issue Is to keep the power consumption down as low as possible with out going back to candles.

Most of the house is set up with led lighting with a few CFLS where lots of light is required so I don't use any lighting modules (Yet).

My X10 camera is embedded in the log work close to a window the window frame covers the camera but a small hole in the trim allows the camera a view of the main floor.
Since all trim was left natural wood and just varathaned  I burnt around the edges of the hole for the camera which made it look like a knot which fell out.
You real have to look to notice there is a camera there. By then I'd have a good full face shot ! rofl
The EagleEye is mounted under the log steps  on the landing so anyone coming up to the main floor is detected and any movement on the main floor is also picked up.
Motion turns on the Cam anywhere and VCR Commander which starts a record sequence.
 >!

mike:
Can we comment?  If so, COOL!  javascript:void(0);

We live in a log home 1/2 mile off rd in the middle of 40acres of woods and heat fully with outside wood boiler.  Got electric tho.  keep the descriptions coming!

lodtrack:
Sounds like a labour of love. I have the opposite problem, I have grid power by no landline. After reading your post and tripping through some linked threads, I was pursuing how to get an Internet stick connected laptop (in cell coverage) to have  my cottage security system contact me. What I came across via a linked thread was the ability to use a docked Bluetooth cellphone with a handset to dial out of the cottage. I purchased one from Vtech and will be trying it out this week. I was not able to verify from the online manual whether the security console dials into the unit if it will sense the lack of landline connection and transmit via Bluetooth cell. If it works,for the cost of leaving a prepaid cellphone at the cottage that will dial out infrequently, it could be a good solution to my lack of landline.

Tuicemen:
lodtrack  we had originaly thought about using cells for our comunication but the service wasn't steady enough!
If you went out to the fire pit and stood on one leg you'd get a connection. but never long enought to make a call.
I even tried climbing the tower that my wind turbine is on Half way up you could make a call the next day it wouldn't work! B:(
Coverage for wireless internet is good when you can get connected.
 It seems to be getting better and they're talking about puting in another tower so maybe down the road! ::) :'
 >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version