Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!  (Read 112943 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »

I followed your mounting pi in CM15 very closely!  I prob will end up the same after all your work documenting it! 

So I splurged and bought the pi zero W.    Amazing power in such tiny packages!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »

I followed your mounting pi in CM15 very closely!  I prob will end up the same after all your work documenting it! 

So I splurged and bought the pi zero W.    Amazing power in such tiny packages!
Yes more powerful then my first PC ::) :'
I found a store in the US that sells the W for $5 but you have to pick it up from the store http://www.microcenter.com/product/486575/Zero_W?src=raspberrypi
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »

I just paid $14 with shipping to Arduino website;  they have been good to us with our boards from them in the past.  so I get to try (again) to master Linux!  ech!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »

so I get to try (again) to master Linux!  ech!
Actually you don't have to master Linux. Once HG is up and running you don't need to play with the OS other then for rebooting if you like.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

Tuicemen, thought I would give an update...  I did rcve pi zero W.  First 16gb mem card would not boot;  tried both raspbian and even NOOBS.  format and directory looked fine for both.  gave up, got a second 16gb stick and put NOOBS on it - booted and I got HDMI screen as expected!  But mouse would not move pointer so I could not pick raspbian to install!  tried different usb hubs, direct mouse, keyboard instead.  nothing moved mouse pointer.  Then the pi overheated a 12 pin chip behind the pwr usb input and no more display.   Nothing I could do revived it.  Some others reported in their forum to my post they had same thing so were watching...   Arduino replaced it no cost;  just came in.  I THINK I identified that on this new pi zero they have a potential issue if you plug in usb pwr to pwr connector AND usb to computer - which also supplies power...  anyway, I have not retried - shall do so this weekend.

Meanwhile, my WYZE pan cam $ 25 cameras are doing so great I have been active on their FB pages...   last night guys said they are using IFTTT to send trigger from cameras motion sense messages to OPENhab program.  some using stringify.  alexus involved too if you want...

So I went to OPENhab and checked it out.  Holy crap!    1000's of hardware interfaces written for!  cm15?  yup.  100,000's users, zillion programmers working on this open source program.   some running thir home automation on pi's....  Phillips Hue stuff central too ifyou are into that.  well needless to say I will be checking it out now...    I will report back if anyone wants me to...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »

Thanks for the update Mike,
You should only have your mouse and HDMI cable plugged in to the Zero on initial setup (+ power of cource). then setup SSH so you can use putty to terminal in from Windows and install other stuff. This way only the CM15 needs to be plugged in to the zerro.
I'd love to read about your progress with Openhab purhaps you could start a thread in the PI section on the forum here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=153.0
I'm sure others would be interested as well to follow your progress. It may even get others to try Openhab. ;)
 >!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:52:42 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »

Thanks for the update Mike,
You should only have your mouse and HDMI cable plugged in to the Zero on initial setup (+ power of cource). then setup SSH so you can use putty to terminal in from Windows and install other stuff. This way only the CM15 needs to be plugged in to the zerro.
I'd love to read about your progress with Openhab purhaps you could start a thread in the PI section on the forum here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=153.0
I'm sure others would be interested as well to follow your progress. It may even get others to try Openhab. ;)
 >!
Cool thing about OpenHAB.org is that no no SSH or putty is required.  More plug and play for users?  Still learning here...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:41:58 PM by Tuicemen »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »

I've added a ODROID C0 embedded into a CM15 here which I've posted about elsewhere on the forum here so I won't go into the build process of it here.
Also updated my OP to reflect its addition.
Currently this is only used to test another Linux HA software Domoticz this is running along with my Pi + HomeGenie setup so I have no macros or timers currently configured it it which might conflict.
I'm watching others posts on using Domoticz and their setup progress. I'm not conviced Domoticz is going to perform for me as yet  ::) :'
there are some asspects I like about it and it is frequently updated unfortuneately the documentation doesn't seem to get updated as frequently.
At least thats what others postings suggest.

To fully test the ODROID I'll need a USB hub even though this has two full sized USB ports as my though is this will eventualy replace the Pi 3B+.
I've found a small unpowered hub which also includes a Ethernet connection which will provide faster streaming abilities then currently possible with it.
The issue will be if it will work being none powered ::) :'
The use of an external Wi-Fi will allow for a more powerful wi-fi board then the PI and an external antenna though I've not had an issue with the PIs wi-fi.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »

the 2 different non powered usb hubs I tried did not work - could not even power the LED in the mouse...  but my cheap 8 port powered hub handles it all.  Do to limited workbench space, I bought a $ 10 wireless keyboard and wireless mouse;  was supposed to be both bluetooth and/or wifi but turns out I do not know how to use it via the pi bluetooth so just stuck the little USB interface into the hub and now have 2 mice and a nice wireless keyboard...  I also charge my phone while out here off this hub.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »

I wouldn't even attempt a hub from a Pi Zero W though there are several 4 port hats available for it some utilize the USB test solder pads
The ODROID C0 is basically the same as a C1 less the USB ports and Ethernet port so in assents using a 3 port HUB it will be running the same ports as a C1.
I'v tested and it does run fine with a 8 port powered hub but that's overkill for my off grid place and in reality I only need one extra USB for when I wish to use a mouse/KB which is usually only When setting up streaming. The idea behind the ODROID or PI is to limit power consumption here having to add a power hub would kill the advantages this has over the PI 3B+.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »

power savings makes sense to limit it.  I was too dumb to know better.  BTW, it NEVER worked into the single micro USB native programming port!  Your pointing to the USB pads and me soldering a female USB to those made  it work!  I have 2 mice, 2 keyboads (if I want the big one too and cm15 all plugged in...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »

Well another year gone by and I didn't do much here in the line of x10 automation other then eliminate the need for the Broadlink RM to arm/disarm my x10 security setup HG now does that directly with the CM15A.
I've been having issues with my noip dsn and finally had enough of it. It just failed to do its job to many times this year.
Moved to the free duckdns.org. I also had issues with my pi 3B+ throwing a low voltage error and causing HomeGenie to shutdown.
it appears it was just a lose USB connection which I believe I have fixed. Good thing I hadn't pulled my WM100  and my Airsight cameras could still be accessed ::) :'
I pulled my Odroid Co as it just wasn't performing (would never stay running)
I replace my solar deep cycle batteries in October as I had three go bad in the summer and didn't wish to chance going through the winter and having to replace them then. I added a quick fill option to these which makes water top up a quick thing to do now and saves my back. It is possible to automate this so I may look into that more in the spring. Currently I have an app that should remind me to check and maintain the batteries  at specified times.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2020, 07:42:11 AM »

With pandemic restictions in place I've been hoping to find some automation ideas to add here but not got to doing much.
I did replace my pi 3b+  hooked to a cm15 with a moded cm15 with a pi zero inside and hardwired the usb.the only wire coming from the cm15 now is the pi power cord.
I continued to have issues with my router after internet outages so  I created a cron job for the pi and stopped using the dns re-sync program this seemed to be working better. However after a while this to failed to keep my internet alive. I found the router needed a reboot after these occurances. To solve this for now I simply added a X10 appliance module to the router and toggel it daily. I had hoped to code the HG Duck dns program do do this automaticaly using free time I gained from the pandemic lock down unfortunately I found I don't have the free time I thought I would.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:07:31 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:21 PM »

I took a run up to the off grid pace to do some snow removal while here I added a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor to my Cm15/pi  as well I added a power button to the case to easily power down/up the Pi inside.
I added my Inside temperature/humidity display to HomeGenie so I can check on the inside temperature.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:17 AM »

With pandemic restictions in place I've been hoping to find some automation ideas to add here but not got to doing much.................

using free time I gained from the pandemic lock down unfortunately I found I don't have the free time I thought I would.

I took a run up to the off grid place.... I added a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor to my Cm15/pi  as well...I added my Inside temperature/humidity display to HomeGenie so I can check on the inside temperature.

Your temperature/humidity sensor setup is nice... impressive. And Inspiring.

I've also felt like I've run-out of automation ideas/projects for this years "Automation Season". I did have a small water leak a couple months ago... which was fortunately a quick clean-up and easy repair. But then... the other day... I found a (ever-so-slight) run-on toilet (I found during an inspection) in a rarely used bathroom.

Even with our over-priced city water supply... both events hardly match what a detection setup would likely cost. But it was a jump in the water bill that caused me to inspect my water connections and devices. So... maybe a little digital over-sight of my waterlines might be worthwhile. And judging by the weather forecast... I've got some newly found time to research this idea.

Thanks Tom.  
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.