Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!  (Read 112945 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

Comparing the two cameras dimensions I see the EasyN cam is slightly smaller so I swapped them back out as the Easy N cam should allow a windsurfer antenna.
I'll attempt a couple of antenna mods next time I get up.
I'll make sure to pick up the needed supplies before I head back up here.
I Also discovered I need to keep my router where my Thin Client can have a Ethernet connection wireless is to slow for my server (UltraLight) and streaming.
I had my wife attempt a connection from the city and it seems I have everything setup correctly for the router  :)%
I'll now set up AHP to turn my inside Foscam to the door that is opened with a ds10 signal via PCC if the X10 Security system is armed.
I'll also turn the exterior cameras to the door which was opened.
I set up the server so I can arm and disarm the system in case I forget to do that when I leave, a quick look at the status on the server will let me know if it is armed or not and if a door or window has been opened.
I've set Ultralight to run as a service in case for some reason there is a power loss (low batteries) I've also enabled the thin client to be booted via the Ethernet card.
Something you can't do with most Wi-Fi cards.
PCC will send the required magic packet to do this from the city if needed.
I can also Shut down the thin client with PCC from the city if this is required for what ever reason ??? ::)
 >!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:53:47 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 05:29:57 AM »

Very interesting. :)+ I just finished reading all four pages. I too use Foscam indoor and outdoor IP cameras and DS10a for doors. How can I make Foscam to point to the door when ds10a send the signal? I have assigned H/C to DS10As so I can use it with macros.
Be great I you can help me with it. In return I'll send you a great picture of a gift from pack of wild turkeys. I have lots of running around my place, including almost full white Turkey. Although have not seen them this winter. Get some deer and ducks and crains, fox, wolf etc but no bears.
I have often thought of setting up a wind turbine and lately been thinking about solar panels. I am not sure if it will be worth it to invest in these setups as Quebec Hydro rates are not as high as of Ontario and defiantly not high as in States.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »

Setting up your system so a ds10 activation talk to your camera is very easy.
However I'm not familiar with H/C
You'll need to be able to send a windows command or be able to send a web request if you can do either then it isn't a issue.
Since PC Companion is able work along with many different softwares sending it a windows command to trip a user command to send the web request was my route.
You'll need to set some pre-sets in the camera software so they will turn to the area you wish.
The number of the pre-set  is needed for the web request  my camera inside has 5 pre-sets but it can only can see two doors however it can monitor the stairs from the lower level where a  third door is located going to the garage.
my outdoor cameras can see the garage and one door.
Since there are many users that may wish to implement something like this I'll post a how to on my Site in the PCC tutorial section http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=66.0
I may only have the code for 5 pre-sets so try to keep them to lower number However I may be able to figure out the code for a higher pre-set

My reasoning for going off grid was not the rates nor the initial cost to run the lines however it had a big part of my final design.
The wind turbine was added a cheep secondary source and doesn't provide much help here as I don't get long enough steady winds.
The nice thing for me and most that see the place is no power lines rofl
However that could have been done with buried wires at double or triple the price of over head wires and poles

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »

I use x10 AHP with CM15A and H/C is just a module code like A10. This allows me to use macros to turn on lights when any of DS10A is activated and also sends email using AHP plugin.
Sorry about not mentioning it earlier.
I only use 5 presets. Most positions are covered by other cameras any way. Since I have couple of these cameras so I just once in a while turn them to see away into to back yard I should say rather back forest.

I will be sending the picture I promised, ASAP I get to my PC.

Shall look forward to the setup on your website. When ready would you please just send me a message. Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »

I use x10 AHP with CM15A and H/C is just a module code like A10.
Ah understood
The tutorial is now posted. So anyone else looking to do this the how to is posted there!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

With my Off grid place having been online for over a week I'm seeing some areas for improvements.
Although once I get connected I can view x10 Activity, from the cameras I can see who logged into each. (I'll add that to Ultra)
I can see the status of my security system and see the internal and external temperatures. However I find there are still things I'd like to have info to remotely.
Also there have been a few things I'd like to trigger remotely. Some of these can be added remotely but not all (I'm working on that ;) )
There are adds for the solar setup to enable remote access to info but they are expensive so I'll need to look into something more suited to my pocket book. ;) It would be cool to add that info to the sever!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 05:25:37 AM »

There are adds for the solar setup to enable remote access to info but they are expensive so I'll need to look into something more suited to my pocket book. ;) It would be cool to add that info to the sever!
As I recall, noam has a homebrew (Arduino?) setup to monitor his solar system.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

I currently have a couple of displays that allow on site monitoring of my system.
A Trace battery monitor display, and the Magnum controller for the inverter.
As well each of the two charge controllers (currently in use) have built in displays though the Outback charge controller does hold a history.
I'd love to hack into info from any one of these and be able to display it on my server or even display something indicating attention is needed.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »

Do any of those displays have rs232 or usb computer connect capability?

I'm sure you know, but maybe didn't think of for a while, programs like teamviewer.com that let you go in and run the remote computer as if you were sitting in front of it.  Just a friendly reminder if you forgot and it is of any value!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

Thanks Mike.
All devices have  some sort of connecting cable jack. However I'm not sure exactly what they are at the moment (USB, Serial, or rs232) as I'm in the city now.
My experience with teamviewer hasn't been favorable. ( I find it extremely slow and with a slow connection there it would be worse)
Not knowing what exactly (voltage?) is being feed through those ports is my biggest concern. I don't wish to fry my newly connected Thin Client

I've found software available for Outback and Morningstar products nothing for Trace  nor MagnumEnergy as yet though Magnum has a kit.

MagnumEnergy requires a (web monitoring kit) ($$$)
The Software for Outback requires a network hub (mate) something I currently don't have or require. ($$$) there is third party software for this as well (WattPlot)

The Morningstar software (MSView) looks promising as all I need is the appropriate cables ( no large $ out lay), software is a free download
Next time I'm back I'll look to see which cables I need since there are 4 ways to connect depending on model #s
This can be used with either their inverters, charge controllers or relayers  or any combinations.
It looks like it logs info to a CSV file which I'll easily be able to extract data from for use with my server (Ultra) , and X10 setup (though not sure for what yet).
  >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »

All of those appear to connect to their remote servers although you can probably use the WattPlot software w/o the web connection.

I'm always leery of cloud servers both for security reasons and concern they may go the way of X10's servers.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »

All of those appear to connect to their remote servers although you can probably use the WattPlot software w/o the web connection.

I'm always leery of cloud servers both for security reasons and concern they may go the way of X10's servers.
Yes I'm not fond of any cloud based things, X10 software servers weren't the only thing to fold up over the years.
The WattPlot and the MSView software both appear not to use a cloud server.
I've downloaded the MSView since this will be the cheapest (hopefully no extra cables needed as I have a bin full of mixed connector wires)
I've installed this on my city PC to have a look at.
There are several ways this can be hooked to a PC and none require the internet.
It can even be connected via a Ethernet connection and router.
I'm not sure all what info I can pull from my Morningstar charge controller as yet as it certainly won't be able to supply the info a inverter would.
Also most of these software only allow a read, the MSView does allow some interaction based on what hardware is connected.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »

I've found a way to do a screen capture of my desktop remotely and added this ability to Ultralight so it auto refreshes regularly.
This will save me having to add extra code for monitoring my solar (though I may do that anyways) as I can have the MorningStar software (MSView) , my Weather app and a webcam (PS3 cam or a Kinects) if I wish, displaying on screen.
I'll added this so I can view this and all my IP cams from the same web page.
Too bad my va12 stopped working again :( or I could add in the x10 cameras I have .

I have this working at my city residents (other then the MSView) and the page refreshes regularly thought the real test will be over the net. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »

Too bad my va12 stopped working again :( or I could add in the x10 cameras I have .

I have this working at my city residents (other then the MSView) and the page refreshes regularly thought the real test will be over the net. ::) :'

ya, join the club.  I just tried again to make a va11 or va12 work on win 7 or 8.....  I remember a few years back doing lots of testing and finding which would and would not work on win7, 8, 32bit, 64bit....  but of course I could not find those posts easy enough....

anyway, I NEEDED a webcam thing recently so we could keep an eye on last years baby raccoon who this year is a mama and decided she just HAD to move into her old house inside our barn! 

So I gave up on those and paid someone in US $ 7.00 each w/free-shipping for a couple rca plug composite video to USB adapters.  Even these took a bit to make work, but got it.  I have been wondering if this would work with X10 to get those 6-7 cameras back on line here too....

Enjoy mama-cam if you want:   192.182.173.122:8080

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »

So I gave up on those and paid someone in US $ 7.00 each w/free-shipping for a couple rca plug composite video to USB adapters.  Even these took a bit to make work, but got it.  I have been wondering if this would work with X10 to get those 6-7 cameras back on line here too....
You don't mention the make of the USB adaptors but in my tests with other RCA plug to USB adaptors and video capture cards AHP was able to utilize them.
I'd be interested in the make of the adaptor and where you got it, if it does indeed work with Windows 7 or 8 I can resurrect some X10 cams as well as some other old brands.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.