Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!  (Read 113347 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »

I've been playing with X10s new Wi-Fi proto type module here which is most likely where it's home will be once everything is worked out.
It will allow me to remove the Cm15 and HP Thin Client I now use for remote control over the internet, keeping power consumption low.

X10 has stated that they plan to make the protocol public so I see I'll need to create something for it in order to control my IP cameras.
 I now have issues with IP cameras resolved with placement of my router. No antenna mods needed. 

Since getting a XTBM signal analyzer I've managed to learn a bit more about this setup.
Although the system is relatively noise free the generator does pose a issue which affects the whole setup not just the circuit it is on which I previously though.
Although the noise level doesn't pose a issue right now if another low noise producer is introduced it most likely would be a problem.
I found a coffee maker which throws very high noise at one point during its cycle.
Since this is a single phase setup no phase coupling is needed.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »

Thanks for the primer.  I'm a ME, so have very limited electrical background and solar is limited to knowing that my calculator won't work in the dark.   ;)
rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »

Hey Tuicemen!

Just got emailed something you need!  check it out!  FREE ENERGY!

http://www.simpleoffgridsystem.org/report/1/150/-/32379692/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »

The tesla generator had been something I was interested in before however for my situation it isn't workable.
(sorry for the slow reply mike)

With X10s slow release of the Wi-Fi controller modules I like others have been looking for cheep alternatives.
I've been playing with some new wi-fi controllable devices from ITEAD in hopes of being able to reliably control my outdoor wood furnace. However I had issues with my Wi-Fi router and range which I've since updated to a newer more powerful one from my ISP.
I'll experiment more to see if this has enabled me to implement the ITEAD sonoff modules.
My Cm15 I believe is on its last legs as timers don't seem to fire dependably from it.
To work around this issue I've handed of these to my Prototype Wi-Fi module but others could use a mini timer( if your set up isn't to large).
I've added one of X10s HD Linked cameras into my setup. Since this can be setup to work offline and capture images to a mini SD I don't need to worry about the internet going down.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:56:06 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2016, 09:22:53 AM »

Update:
My X10 Linked camera is now set in Off line mode due to it not recording if the internet went down.
The Hydro guys cut my phone line while clearing brush from lines out at the main road this left me without internet for over 2 weeks.
Had I not been there I most likely would have without internet even longer. ::) :'
The reason for the linked camera in the first place was incase I lost internet connection.

In the fall I decided to look into a solar tracker to automate moving my pole mounted solar array ( I did this manualy for years)
I found a reasonably priced DIY Dual axis HD tracker from WindyNation
This isn't really a HD tracker as the linear actuators that come with it are only rated for 1600 lbs you can find them rated for 6000 lbs +
In any case I figured the actuators that came in the kit would handle my array so I ordered a kit.
I managed to get the East/West actuator controller and sensor setup before the weather got bad and am very pleased with its operation so far.

I plan to add the North/South actuator in the spring.
The only thing missing from this kit is a way to put this into a park position during High winds. :(
I'd love to be able to do this with X10.
I believe a power flash could be setup for this however I didn't wish to run AC to the array.
Another option is the iTead Sonoff SV Safe Voltage WiFi Wireless Switch. However access is cloud based only (so far) so if the internet goes down again this is useless.
Another option is this a wind trigger from inspeed However I'd like to find a cheaper route as I plan to add another pole mounted array.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »

Wow!  Looks like a little gingerbread barn sitting next to a Harbor freight 4 panel 50 watt solar array!  Wonder the cayotes haven't eaten the gingerbread barn yet!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »

LOL
The small ginger bread barn is actually an old dog house I converted to hold a 12 volt battery to power the solar tracker. It has a single 120 watt panel connected to it to keep the battery charged (over kill I know but it was a spare).
The array is composed of 8 140 watt panels giving a 1120 watt array producing 48 volts feeding my now 24 volt battery bank.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »

Wow!  Thought we were the only ones who ever repurposed an old dog house! How frugal of you!

Nice panels and set up.  We supplied a customer a nice 24Vdc to sine 120/240Vac converter once for a project.  I see one of these in your future if you don't have one already!

I googled itlead but found nothing.  Let us know where to find some data on it since of course we all are always looking for replacements.

If you need a CM15 replacement, I have a 3?4? spare Active Home Pro units I bought back when it looked like they would be gone...

Playing now with a couple M900 links and 16db antennas - range 35 miles...  can get full sig 3000ft thru the thick forest to my neighbors house with one in office window and other in golf cart...  but pulls upto 2 amps@ 12vdc so not good for low power use.  Trying to beam cable internet a mile away to get off this goshdarnawful frontier DSL crappy service.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »

I'd love to be able to do this with X10.
I believe a power flash could be setup for this however I didn't wish to run AC to the array.
Another option is the iTead Sonoff SV Safe Voltage WiFi Wireless Switch. However access is cloud based only (so far) so if the internet goes down again this is useless.
I haven't forgotten about adding X10 RF control to the Sonoff . I'm waiting to see what I need for an X10 RF Receiver in this ESP32 based project.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/ultimate-X10.html
I'd like to have a single RF Receiver board that could work with both.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »

I googled itlead but found nothing.
That might be because you mispelled Itead - get the L out of it.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

Wow!  Thought we were the only ones who ever repurposed an old dog house! How frugal of you!

Nice panels and set up.  We supplied a customer a nice 24Vdc to sine 120/240Vac converter once for a project.  I see one of these in your future if you don't have one already!
Thanks I actualy just move from 12 volt magnum 2800watt to a magnum 24 volt 4000watt pure sinewave

Playing now with a couple M900 links and 16db antennas - range 35 miles...  can get full sig 3000ft thru the thick forest to my neighbors house with one in office window and other in golf cart...  but pulls upto 2 amps@ 12vdc so not good for low power use.  Trying to beam cable internet a mile away to get off this goshdarnawful frontier DSL crappy service.
My neighbor had wireless service but soon switched to DSL seems every time the earth shifted (earth quake, road construction, work at gravel pit miles away...) the antenna would go out of alignment and it took weeks for someone to come out and realign it.

I haven't forgotten about adding X10 RF control to the Sonoff . I'm waiting to see what I need for an X10 RF Receiver in this ESP32 based project.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/ultimate-X10.html
I'd like to have a single RF Receiver board that could work with both.
I actual was hoping itead would make the protocol for the Wi-Fi available but a x10RF receiver add to the low voltage module would work too.
I'm working on modifying the Windynation Suntura control board to use the sonoff low voltage module. Since the control board can handle 12-24 volts in put and drops it down to 5v there are a number of spots the low voltage sonoff  can be wired  to get power.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:57:04 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »

I googled itlead but found nothing.
That might be because you mispelled Itead - get the L out of it.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

looks interesting.  tHANKS!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »

The cottage time is hear again and I've started to add a few things to my X10 setup.
Authinx supplied me with an Amazon Dot hoping I could create something for Alexa x10 control.
Alex10 was the out come which I've now setup here.
Interestingly if I use the same amazon account I set the dot up with in the city I can also control devices there from here and devices here from there! ??? :)%
Alexa will not report that it discovers x10 devices at my city residence but they still appear connected in the Alexa app.
Since this is a open concept designed home 1 Dot can hear me from any where on the main floor or the loft.

I modified some battery powered bug zappers to use wall warts to power them which are now plugged into X10 modules. There always seems to be a few mosquitoes that the dog brings in after its nightly outing.
Nothing worse then trying to get to sleep with those buzzing around ones ears.
I set these up to timers in AHP to come on a hour prior to bed time and off again.
With Alexa I can also turn them on/off,  I found some mornings I get awoke with the bugs as well so additional timers may be needed.

I managed to get the low votage SonOff module from itead to work with my WindyNation HD solar tracker's N/S actuator  over the winter(not installed yet)
WindyNation actually supplied me with a control unit to play with (less the actuators) as they had many requests for such a feature.
I also was able to flash the itead module so it no longer requires the cloud to perform.

While working on this I also was able to control it via Alexa.
Simply saying "Alexa, turn on Sun Tura Park" will place my array in a park position.
 Saying "Alexa, turn off Sun Tura park" will return it to normal operation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:49:35 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »

Although.... I took my last old X10 cameras off-line.... I kept the low-voltage (X10 addressable) power supplies. Just thinking for low-voltage controlled devices they might be helpful. As many of the new wall-warts can be real noise makers.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:27 AM »

I kept the low-voltage (X10 addressable) power supplies. Just thinking for low-voltage controlled devices they might be helpful. As many of the new wall-warts can be real noise makers.

So true, these are 9v and never had a issue with them (yet)! ::) :'  Luckily I don't have any noise issues here other then when the backup generator kicks in and that seems to be the circuit the radiant flooring is on so it doesn't affect my limited x10 setup here.
Since I've converted to 24volt it may be worth digging out my XTBM signal analyzer and do my annual check.
I did notice a charge controller making a  hum (more then usual) yesterday and it does have a setting to reduce interference if it happens to affect things. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.