Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!  (Read 112924 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2018, 11:46:15 PM »

The Pi with HomeGenie supplies me with more info then the X10 WM100 app  ;)
And I can view it from any where even using my PC in the city :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2018, 01:41:43 AM »

If you use an Android device, you can install the basic app to easily control things from anywhere in the world.  I decided to buy the more advanced version and it provides a better mobile experience as well as a LOT of info (some of which isn't available in the web interface).  If the original dev was still working on the program, I'd say it was a no brainer.  Being somewhat of a dead end today, it's a fair price at $4 when I got it (was $10 for the longest time).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »

I see the HomeGenie Android app and may grab it.
I'm still new to the whole PI thing and not sure where the X10 WM100 app is headed the developer working on it is so slow.
The Cm15 doesn't have as powerful a PLC signal but the WM100 doesn't have RF.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »

I'm still new to the whole PI thing and not sure where the X10 WM100 app is headed........... the WM100 doesn't have RF.

With Alexa (or Google).... it's hard to have much of a reason to use RF to control X10 anymore. And don't forget the real advantage of WM-100. It connects wirelessly.... even via the Internet. So (at least theoretically) the Pi used to control your cabin-located WM-100... could reside back in the city.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »

I'm still new to the whole PI thing and not sure where the X10 WM100 app is headed........... the WM100 doesn't have RF.

With Alexa (or Google).... it's hard to have much of a reason to use RF to control X10 anymore. And don't forget the real advantage of WM-100. It connects wirelessly.... even via the Internet. So (at least theoretically) the Pi used to control your cabin-located WM-100... could reside back in the city.
True If we had the protocol or the pi was loaded with the Android OS.
The reason for going with the Pi at the off grid place was for the streaming abilities HA was an added benefit.
I'm currently working on a CM15 embedded with a pi for my city place. This Pi is less powerful but I should be able to communicate with the off grid place with it and HG. If not I can connect directly to the Pi that's off grid via the PC or phone.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »

Recently I had a issue with my internet and was unable to control any X10 devices with my phone. One draw back to the WM100 B:(
With my Pi conected to the CM15A I can now use a RF remote when this happens again. Luckily lengthy outages are rare.
Steaming works well even with HomeGenie running in the background handling my autmatin,security and IP cameras.
One draw back is Netflix doesn't  work on Linux nor does my cable any where streaming. The issue is browser compatibility. >*<
This may mean me moving to Windows core,good thing HomeGenie will run on Windows. How well it works on core remains to be seen.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »

At one point I had a Google Voice account setup to use for text messaging.  The script on this forum and a little time tweaking later and I could asyncronously control my home.  It would even respond when it got the message and toggled things as desired.  That was sweat!

HG can utilize a phone txt devide to do the same, but you need a data connection to the device I beleive.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »

I updated my OP to more accurately reflect my HA hardware in use here.
Home Genie (HG) now controls every thing here I currently wish.
I can even Arm my security console and pictures are emailed when the security system is tripped  :)%
Disarming is also possible but I've purposely left that option out.
Every thing I did with AHP and its plugins I can now do with HG + much more.
The HG timers and macros are far superior to AHP.

I still use HA-Bridge to allow voice control of things via Alexa but it has been moved to my Pi with HG.
I can even Arm/Disarm my security system via voice though with the location of the Amazon dot in relation to the DS7000 Alexa can't hear the disarm command if the system has been tripped.
I discovered the code in HG for interfacing to a Philips Hue hub is basically the same as what is required to interface with the HA-Bridge :)%
With some minor tweaking of the code I can control things with HG which HG normally couldn't.   :)%

My CM15A is now connected to the PI 3B+ 24/7 but it use to be connected to the thinclient 24/7 as well to enable remote control from the city.
Although the thinclient used very little power the Pi uses even less.
I still have my thin client PC setup but AHP is no longer used here. It looks like its days of usefulness are numbered as I find streaming works better from the Pi :)%, even if that is all the thinclient is doing ::) :'

I still have a WM100 running here too but I really don't know why ::) :' I guess it is to help debug the Wi-Fi App.
However without some movement on the development of the Wi-Fi App it too will vanish from my setup here.
Currently the only benefit of using the WM100 over the CM15 is a stronger PLC signal which I don't have issue with here. The WM100 actualy uses a little more power then the CM15A as well though not as much as the CM15A and Pi combo.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2018, 09:38:12 PM »

… Home Genie (HG) now controls every thing here I currently wish...…

:)%  >!  #:)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2018, 06:57:54 AM »

… Home Genie (HG) now controls every thing here I currently wish...…

:)%  >!  #:)

WOW, too interesting to pass up...  so downloaded and installed HG.  trying to figure it out - some good docs on line I am slowly going thru.

One killer out of the gate is that weather underground cool widget;  WU says they no longer give out free API keys so that kills its usefulness unless someone knows a way around that?

And can TWO programs use the cm15 USB?  Do I need to shut down AHP to use this HG?

Thanks.

HA Dave

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »

WOW, too interesting to pass up...  so downloaded and installed HG.  trying to figure it out - some good docs on line I am slowly going thru.

This has beenTuicemen's accomplishment.

I haven't been able to (other than web surfing and word-like docs) accomplish ANYTHING using my Raspberry Pi. BUT... HG will also run on a HDMI Win10 stick/PC too (I think). So this would be a great move forward. As the stick-PC's (like the Pi's) run on milliwatts.... yet still make a home run SMART.

I am a GREAT fan of AHP! It is an amazing product (when paired with the CM15A). But without the old long-gone X10 servers... that AHP star doesn't shine too brightly anymore. HG may be a fine replacement.

I will never go back to NON-AI Home Automation again. Without a AI smart Digital Assistant a home is only half-automated.   
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:00:55 AM by HA Dave »

mike

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »

Agree with most of you comments.  I gave up trying 'other' ahp lookalikes long ago too.  I have been forced to learn rasb pi brother arduino for some cool work projects, but I fail so far to see what it adds to the party over ahp - suppose if I were doing stuff online or with cell phone maybe. 

I first loaded the HG program on house laptop just to see what it is about, and then installed it on my main computer with cm15 usbed in...   I am not sure if changing settings to enable X10 cm15-usb THEN restarting the HG program, or stopping the ahp program, made it find it...  but it seems to have found it...  I began the restarted program at 9am this morning, it found cm15 usb, and has been churning away ever since with hour glass equiv as it appears to be identifying each and every X10 module I have?  I just saw it pop up with message about B10 module (I have one)...  Not sure if I should kill it or let it go more...

Wow...   added a 'room' (they call group), went to add an X10 module (they call it a widget) and ALL MY FRICKIN PROGRAMMED X10 MODULES, SECURITY SWITCHES ARE LISTED!!!)     I'm going to keep playing this way and it continue to find stuff on my home network.  I think it found an IP camera, not sure yet...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »

I already had a Wunderground key but other then having it display the condition thats all it is doing for me there is a way to utilize dusk dawn from it but I use another method which I think is simpler.
The weather widget can be removed as I'm sure you already discovered
It should be noted that installing HG on a PC running AHP will stop AHP from working as HG uses different drivers.

I'm happy to help anyone get this setup on a Pi it isn't  difficult but you have to be willing to use the terminal window. The installer doesn't work from the desktop in the newer Linux versions that I tried. You only need to paste 3 lines hitting enter after each and your done.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »

Thanks.  I assumed I would find solution in their forum;  obviously I am not alone not being able to get a "key."  I assume there are 2 or 3 OTHER than wunderground widgets by now to pick from...   not a big deal yet.

Big deal is thee apparent common issue of dashboard not coming up after install...  that is where I am now...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

A simple browser refresh always works for me.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.