Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!  (Read 112923 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Tuicemen's Off grid setup!
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2018, 06:11:13 AM »

A simple browser refresh always works for me.

sure wish it worked for me too.  I was just warming up to this program too!  haha.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »

I always seem to think of adds after I announce I have every thing I wish B:(

1: Since Wunderground has stopped handing out free api keys I wonder how long before they deactivate those free keys?  ::) :'
I had PCC programed with several options for getting weather prior to moving to Wunderground.
I may have to look at that part of the code and see if I can create a different weather widget ::) :'
I had though about  trying to take advantage of the wunderground info for my solar tracker  which HG will trigger but it may be worth looking at creating a new weather widget first.
If I can figure this out I may be able to trigger other things based on different weather conditions. ::) :'

2: Currently HG only views and sends email from my IP cameras It would be nice to be  able to move them from inside HG even if only to preset positions.
I'm not sure if I can modify the existing camera widget but creating simple quick link widgets shouldn't be a problem.
Anyone would then be able to create macros to move a capable IP to a specific position . ;)

A simple browser refresh always works for me.

sure wish it worked for me too.  I was just warming up to this program too!  haha.

have you tried accessing from a different device like a laptop or phone?
I initially had issues with HG freezing or locking up until I deactivated non essential items.
I read the IR program was causing many issues and that is loaded by default.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »

There is a second (and third I believe) option for weather apps.  You can use the forecast for triggering events if you know how to code.  I recall WU killing the keys a couple years ago but then brought them back.  I don't think the key is what they make their money on (I assume it's the same model as google, selling you to advertisers), so I suspect they will stick around.

AHP and HG cannot run at the same time because they use different drivers to access the same device.  You will have to stop AHP and install a different driver (different port may be sufficient) to run HG using the CM15A.  Once you get the hang of HG, you will uninstall AHP anyway, so it's no problem.

mike

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2018, 10:27:19 AM »

Thanks for the added info and confirmations!

I love your comment " Once you get the hang of HG, you will uninstall AHP anyway, so it's no problem."    haha!  I see already that is going to be the way of my future!

I had to revo uninstall to get rid of all the junk in the register and reinstall to get uninstall to clean up its act and reintall and work again.

I have not had time to search out the WU replacements but figured they existed.   It will be pleasant to have macros that actually work logically!

I have yet to get into it, but has anyone made it recognize the various alarm keybobs like KR10, security remote controls?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »

I have yet to get into it, but has anyone made it recognize the various alarm keybobs like KR10, security remote controls?
HG will see security key flob arm and disarm signals.and you can create macros with those.
HG will not send security codes to arm disarm a console however I've been able to do that with a Broadlink RM and HA-Bridge which I call from HG

There is a second (and third I believe) option for weather apps.  You can use the forecast for triggering events if you know how to code.  I recall WU killing the keys a couple years ago but then brought them back.  I don't think the key is what they make their money on (I assume it's the same model as google, selling you to advertisers), so I suspect they will stick around.
That is good to know I also may check out the other weather options,
I've found a few weather resources that provide a free API ID and key so I believe another weather widget can be created without much difficulty.if required.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »

Thanks for the hints to get me going.  I see in HG forum you have asked a lot of the questions I was going to, so glad for your help like this!.  I see when I press KR10 HG 'sees it;'  the little top right blue turns on...  When I program my V572RF32 to emulate A1 on keyfob press, it sees and reports A1...   So ok on having to write a macro. 

But seems maybe not needed?  My cm15, although not talking to computer anymore since HG took over talking to it, still does have its internal macro that sees keyfob ARM command (and disARM) and DOES still send it to the security council...   since I will keep the cm15 as my HG server interface to X10, why not just leave those macros in the cm15 to continue to do their jobs?  I have them set for proper days and times to arm and disarm...  docs on cm15 say macro must reside in the computer, but apparently that was another x10 lie since they work fine still!

mike

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

WOW, too interesting to pass up...  so downloaded and installed HG.  trying to figure it out - some good docs on line I am slowly going thru.
I am a GREAT fan of AHP! It is an amazing product (when paired with the CM15A). But without the old long-gone X10 servers... that AHP star doesn't shine too brightly anymore.

HG may be a fine replacement.

OK Dave, I have done very little with this open source free HG yet, but enough to see that my AHP will become a simple modem to the power line for HG.

So far I cannot figure out the love for Pi interface since my CM15 seems all the interface I need.

Found this great X10 get started doc on their forum:   

http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/HomeGenieHelpece9.docx?action=dlattach;topic=1420.0;attach=2202

Dave, Try it, you'll like it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »

So far I cannot figure out the love for Pi interface since my CM15 seems all the interface I need.

Without an Internet connection... your Home Automation is blind to world. Without AI... and a voice... your HA can't tell you the time, the weather forecast, what is on TV, or the current age of Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 is now 50, btw). Without AI and the cloud... your HA can't play virtually any song you could think to request, or track the location of your car, or your phone... and respond as programed to on-line info/data.

A processor gives a Home a brain. AI makes a home smart. And currently AI means the cloud (processor, software, Internet, and cloud).

Found this great X10 get started doc on their forum:   
http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/HomeGenieHelpece9.docx?action=dlattach;topic=1420.0;attach=2202

Dave, Try it, you'll like it!

I am already using the HS (Homeseer) software on a Pi (Homeseer Hometroller).... which is awesome. And that setup also allows me to use Amazon's Alexa for home control. I am sure there are MANY much better HA setups than mine... my HA is NOT an example of the way things are best done or should be done. But I am a strong advocate for the inclusion of AI and cloud computing with Home Automation.

I will try HG (and other means) as time and money allows me to. And I will also share my results here as you and others (thankfully) do. Because I think that is the best thing to do for the X10 / HA community. I love Home Automation and I wish the best systems possible for all of us.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:42:05 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »

There is a second (and third I believe) option for weather apps. 
I searched for these and only found this one stating no API key required.
http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/indexc312.html?topic=142.0
However I decided to visit the web site which implies an API key is required now.
https://openweathermap.org/api
Since it appears to provide a bit more info then the WU widget I'll see if I can modify it for use with the now required Free API key.

HA Dave,
installing HG on a Pi takes less then 5 mins if you haven't done so, Do IT!
Since you already have Homeseer running on another PI you don't need to jump in controlling things right away.
 It will give you something to play with on rainy days. Then you'll be ready for HA season(winter months)to add things that may not be possible with Homeser ;)

As Dave stated adding a Pi to the mix gives the CM15 more power.
It also allows you to connect via Wi-Fi from any device anywhere.
A Pi Zero W will actually fit and work inside a CM15 (a $20 mod I did for my city place) http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1291.0
The reason I didn't go for this approach here was the required streaming abilities the Zero W couldn't supply while running HG.
My 3B+ handles this just fine.
With a Pi connected 24/7( like connoted to a PC 24/7) batteries aren't required.
I actually put off jumping onto the Pi wagon for far to long. However with the Pi Zero W selling for $7 I could no longer afford not to play with this. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »

There is a second (and third I believe) option for weather apps. 
I searched for these and only found this one stating no API key required.
http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/indexc312.html?topic=142.0
However I decided to visit the web site which implies an API key is required now.
https://openweathermap.org/api
Since it appears to provide a bit more info then the WU widget I'll see if I can modify it for use with the now required Free API key.

HA Dave,
installing HG on a Pi takes less then 5 mins if you haven't done so, Do IT!
Since you already have Homeseer running on another PI you don't need to jump in controlling things right away.
 It will give you something to play with on rainy days. Then you'll be ready for HA season(winter months)to add things that may not be possible with Homeser ;)

As Dave stated adding a Pi to the mix gives the CM15 more power.
It also allows you to connect via Wi-Fi from any device anywhere.
A Pi Zero W will actually fit and work inside a CM15 (a $20 mod I did for my city place) http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1291.0
The reason I didn't go for this approach here was the required streaming abilities the Zero W couldn't supply while running HG.
My 3B+ handles this just fine.
With a Pi connected 24/7( like connoted to a PC 24/7) batteries aren't required.
I actually put off jumping onto the Pi wagon for far to long. However with the Pi Zero W selling for $7 I could no longer afford not to play with this. >!

But WHAT does the Pi add that my home computer does not already add with HG?

(Is it just you want a lo power separate thing running HG instead of a full blown computer?  I suspect this is the case!  For me, I  MUST have my full computer running as it is server to Milestone cameras, I spy server cameras, teamviewer I need remote access to, other junk I still run 24/7.  Mine is on BIG UPS so no issue there.)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »

But WHAT does the Pi add that my home computer does not already add with HG?

(Is it just you want a lo power separate thing running HG instead of a full blown computer?  I suspect this is the case!  For me, I  MUST have my full computer running as it is server to Milestone cameras, I spy server cameras, teamviewer I need remote access to, other junk I still run 24/7.  Mine is on BIG UPS so no issue there.)
In my case here your correct I wanted a low power computer to run my HA here as well as double as a streaming device for my TV. Since I also run HA-Bridge on it it acts as several alexa device hubs in one. I also can monitor all my Ip cameras from it with or without HG.

I'm not suggesting anyone go and get a Pi to replace a PC. However getting one even just to experiment with will make you fall in love wit it.

Once setup a pi cm15 combo can be placed in an out of the way outlet like an hard to get at one behind a couch. ;)
Something you can't do with a PC. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2018, 04:09:09 PM »

I installed the openweather map program in HG and got a free API key to test run this alternate to WU.
It isn't as slick as the WU widget but I believe you can customize it much more if your willing to play.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »

Yes, openweathermap was the other one I was thinking about.  It didn't require a key originally, so when WU disabled the free keys for a time I switched (I know it stopped working, can't remember why but I think it was they disabled the API key).  I moved back when it was reported working again.  WU is slicker primarily due to users.  Openweathermap just didn't have that many using it on HG when the author was building it, so I think he lost interest.  It could be updated if someone took the time.  Heck, maybe it could be suggested on the new forum since there are some developers still engaged that might offer help.

The primary reason I use a RPi is lower power consumption and moving off a PC to a dedicated box.  I didn't want it to be running from something used for other things to increase reliability and since I was adding a new system, I didn't want to run up the bill (not that an idling PC really does anyway).  If you have a PC that is always on and generally idling, you could install your HA software there.

mike

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »

Sweet.      I have not dug in deep yet, but see stuff like this:

https://metacpan.org/pod/Weather::OpenWeatherMap

Is there an EASIER way to implement this rather than each of us reinventing how to program it into our HG each time?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2018, 06:13:05 AM »

There is a downloadable widget already created for this all you need to do is get a API Key.

Simply download in from HG  and then enable it and enter your info.
In HG click configure then Maintenance then  under system options click on the install package button to the right package manager.
In the window that appears scroll down to "Weather and Enviroment" and open it.
next click on "Open Weather" then click install package.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.