Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would like an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV then a Channel  (Read 8934 times)

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Would like an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV then a Channel
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:32:38 PM »

Anyone have some AHP knowledge on how I might get an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV and then switch to a particular channel or input source? I thought about a VCR Commander (UX21A) set up to turn on the TV instead of a VCR but no way to go to a particular channel. That's why I would have to use a macro. To bad the Nstinct remote doesn’t have a X10 RF receiver in it. If it did then I could create a macro in it to do this task. But of course that would take more battery life needing to be able to receive a X10 RF command and convert it to an IR command at any given time. Oh WELL???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:00:43 PM by Frank3d »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Would like an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV then a Channel
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »

I use an IR  USB-UIRT device connected to my Home Automation Computer. My BVC software has the IR control built in (which allows me to control IR devices by macro, X10 remote, or voice command). I have a short YouTube Video that shows how I use this to control a remote control fan. I have also automated a chair some time ago... using a DS10A. Sounds like you have a similar project in mind.

My HA PC is in the basement, but using the PowerMid devices I can control the upstairs devices. The PowerMids work great for blasting a IR signal for a whole room Too. If you have the space available... I guess you could use a series of VCR Commanders hidden away with a PowerMid sender. Then just add a new VCR Commander for each new device or channel you decide to add later.

Anyone have some AHP knowledge on how I might get an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV and then switch to a particular channel or input source?

The Eagle Eye part (controlling the IR) is most interesting part of your setup/idea. Because an IR device tends to toggle (sending On when the device is already On... turns it OFF). You will need to create a conditional macro. With the condition being both a monitored code AND controlled by the status of the TV. I did that using a tricklesaver that monitored the TV's power. For the "switched device" I used a low voltage wall-wart connected to a Powerflash Module. I think I write around this on my Occupancy Sensing Page or HERE (at the BVC forum).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:16:44 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Frank3d

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

I use an IR  USB-UIRT device connected to my Home Automation Computer. My BVC software has the IR control built in (which allows me to control IR devices by macro, X10 remote, or voice command). I have a short YouTube Video that shows how I use this to control a remote control fan. I have also automated a chair some time ago... using a DS10A. Sounds like you have a similar project in mind.

My HA PC is in the basement, but using the PowerMid devices I can control the upstairs devices. The PowerMids work great for blasting a IR signal for a whole room Too. If you have the space available... I guess you could use a series of VCR Commanders hidden away with a PowerMid sender. Then just add a new VCR Commander for each new device or channel you decide to add later.

Anyone have some AHP knowledge on how I might get an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV and then switch to a particular channel or input source?

The Eagle Eye part (controlling the IR) is most interesting part of your setup/idea. Because an IR device tends to toggle (sending On when the device is already On... turns it OFF). You will need to create a conditional macro. With the condition being both a monitored code AND controlled by the status of the TV. I did that using a tricklesaver that monitored the TV's power. For the "switched device" I used a low voltage wall-wart connected to a Powerflash Module. I think I write around this on my Occupancy Sensing Page or HERE (at the BVC forum).
Dave, Looks feasible except for one thing. How would I make the TV go to a particular Channel? In detail heres what I want. I have a complete AHP system and 4 Sentinel cameras. The front door Sentinel camera turns on with an Eagle Eye. I also have a VR36a video receiver feeding a video modulator to tx on channel 122 into my whole house cable TV system. Presently if the doorbell rings I can turn on any TV in my house (5 of them) and switch to channel 122 and see who is at the front door. The problem is that all takes time fumbling with a remote to turn on the TV and switch it to channel 122. It would be nice if the living room TV would automatically turn on and switch to channel 122 when motion is detected at the front door by the Eagle Eye.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »

The problem is that all takes time fumbling with a remote to turn on the TV and switch it to channel 122. It would be nice if the living room TV would automatically turn on and switch to channel 122 when motion is detected at the front door by the Eagle Eye.

Get the USB-UIRT, BVC, one set of the PowerMids. Install BVC and the USB-UIRT drivers on your AHP computer. Teach the BVC software the On/Off codes for your TV. Then teach the software the channel 122 code/signal. Very simple easy to do... the IR software is already built into BVC.

Put a tricklesaver on your TV with a wart-wart in one of the switched plugs. Wire the wall-wart to a PowerFlash Module plugged into one of the non-switching plugs. Set the PowerFlash to your one of your monitored addresses [lets say.. it's M16]
Say your motion sensor is A1.
TV on/off fake module A3
TV Channel 122 fake module A4

Macro 1 (TV status OFF)
Trigger A1 On AND [condition] M16 OFF
Turn ON fake module A3
delay 5 secs (for TV to warm up... time may need adjusted)
Turn ON fake module A4

Macro 2 (TV already ON)
Trigger A1 On [condition] if M16 ON
delay 1 sec
Turn ON (fake module) A4

The BVC software uses what is called a listener. That means it listens to the powerline (and or RF) to hear an X10 signal. Once you've used the BVC (with IR ) software to learn the IR remote control commands. Program the listeners to to send an IR TV ON when it hears the A3 X10 command, and to send the channel 122 command when it hears the X10 A4 command.

Create a room called “Living Rm TV On” in AHP in the room add the :
M16 powerflash module
the fake (appliance module) A3
the fake (appliance module) A4

I did this on a small TV that came on and displayed any camera area where activity was detected. This this YouTube Video:  http://www.youtube.com/suitmanIM#p/u/11/d78pNoPALZ8
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:56:47 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Frank3d

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »

The problem is that all takes time fumbling with a remote to turn on the TV and switch it to channel 122. It would be nice if the living room TV would automatically turn on and switch to channel 122 when motion is detected at the front door by the Eagle Eye.

Get the USB-UIRT, BVC, one set of the PowerMids. Install BVC and the USB-UIRT drivers on your AHP computer. Teach the BVC software the On/Off codes for your TV. Then teach the software the channel 122 code/signal. Very simple easy to do... the IR software is already built into BVC.

Put a tricklesaver on your TV with a wart-wart in one of the switched plugs. Wire the wall-wart to a PowerFlash Module plugged into one of the non-switching plugs. Set the PowerFlash to your one of your monitored addresses [lets say.. it's M16]
Say your motion sensor is A1.
TV on/off fake module A3
TV Channel 122 fake module A4

Macro 1 (TV status OFF)
Trigger A1 On AND [condition] M16 OFF
Turn ON fake module A3
delay 5 secs (for TV to warm up... time may need adjusted)
Turn ON fake module A4

Macro 2 (TV already ON)
Trigger A1 On [condition] if M16 ON
delay 1 sec
Turn ON (fake module) A4

The BVC software uses what is called a listener. That means it listens to the powerline (and or RF) to hear an X10 signal. Once you've used the BVC (with IR ) software to learn the IR remote control commands. Program the listeners to to send an IR TV ON when it hears the A3 X10 command, and to send the channel 122 command when it hears the X10 A4 command.

Create a room called “Living Rm TV On” in AHP in the room add the :
M16 powerflash module
the fake (appliance module) A3
the fake (appliance module) A4

I did this on a small TV that came on and displayed any camera area where activity was detected. This this YouTube Video:  http://www.youtube.com/suitmanIM#p/u/11/d78pNoPALZ8

I planed on trying BVC soon anyway this will make me try it sooner. Ill let ya know how it goes. Thanks.

DeeJayT

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but I have been trying to do the exact same thing, only to get the AV input I need on my TV requires a press of the source button, 5 presses of the up button and a press of the enter button to get AV1 to show my camera, can this be programmed?

Frank3d

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but I have been trying to do the exact same thing, only to get the AV input I need on my TV requires a press of the source button, 5 presses of the up button and a press of the enter button to get AV1 to show my camera, can this be programmed?
DeeJayT, Welcome aboard.
I have a similar concern. I forgot to tell Dave that my TV takes 3 button presses to get to channel 122, a 1 then a 2 and then another 2. I'm afraid it would take a fancy RF/PLC to IR conversion macro to accomplish this. Hopefully the BVC software will do this. I presently have no experience with it. I'm researching...............

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »

I was never able to get my "source" controls to correctly and reliability switch (and then switch back) with my setup. I use an auto-switcher. So when the camera video is ON.. the switcher switches from the default (cable). Of course.. with HD that gets a little more complex. That was one of the reasons I went with the small TV as a digital picture frame... then later an actual digital picture frame with a video input.

DeeJayT, Welcome aboard.
I have a similar concern. I forgot to tell Dave that my TV takes 3 button presses to get to channel 122, a 1 then a 2 and then another 2. I'm afraid it would take a fancy RF/PLC to IR conversion macro to accomplish this. Hopefully the BVC software will do this. I presently have no experience with it. I'm researching...............

I don't think that would be a problem. However... there may be other solutions (there almost always are). Check your TV.. and see if it has an ON setting. Cable boxes and some TV's have a default ON setting that can be set so the unit always turns ON to the same channel. Both my TV and cable box have default ONs (called "power On"). Both also have a "favorites" button as well.. which I think could accomplish this.

Of course a separate tuner (DVD Recorder for channel 122 and just a video modulator otherwise?) and a PIP (Picture In Picture) would be an excellent setup.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:20:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

To bad the Nstinct remote doesn’t have a X10 RF receiver in it. If it did then I could create a macro in it to do this task. But of course that would take more battery life needing to be able to receive a X10 RF command and convert it to an IR command at any given time. Oh WELL???

Possibly see if you could find a rare ActiveHome 2 (CM14A).   Its like a CM15A with an Nstinct built right in.    :'
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »

Possibly see if you could find a rare ActiveHome 2 (CM14A).   Its like a CM15A with an Nstinct built right in.    :'

I had used an "eye" sensor at one time for the front door but have since hacked my doorbell with a PowerFlash Module to get a camera view when the bell is rung.

What would be nice... would be if the new AHP and Phone apps could immediately connect my android phone to a camera view (with microphone) and allow me to use the connection (and a speaker) to talk with whoever is at the door (while collecting time-stamped snapshots).

An app like that could be useful when I am at the office (NOT that I have a job... or an android phone).... or if I was in the back yard.

Frank3d

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »

To bad the Nstinct remote doesn’t have a X10 RF receiver in it. If it did then I could create a macro in it to do this task. But of course that would take more battery life needing to be able to receive a X10 RF command and convert it to an IR command at any given time. Oh WELL???

Possibly see if you could find a rare ActiveHome 2 (CM14A).  Its like a CM15A with an Nstinct built right in.    :'
Very interesting. Anyone know where I can obtain one (CM14A) ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »

I don't think the CM14A ever went into production.
A few beta testers may still have one.

From the FCC web site. There appears to be two versions. A 310MHz one and a 418Mhz one.
Looks like a CM15A with a RJ11 Serial Port Connector like the CM11A. Also had a extendable metal antenna and not the plastic one on the CM15A. Had a 1/8" stereo jack on the bottom for an IR extender cable.

If you want to see what the FCC site has on it. Like internal and external photos along with a schematic. One thing I did notice. The schematic is labeled "IBM JR COMPUTER INTERFACE"  ::)

Use B4S CM14A in the link below.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:50:54 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »

Very interesting. Anyone know where I can obtain one (CM14A) ?

Walt2 is a well experienced and knowledgeable X10er that I believe Beta tested the CM14A some years ago... if I remember earlier posts correctly.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

I believe you are correct, Dave.  A quick ASK search for the CM14A leads to here.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

What could... or can be done with an interface... is almost limitless. Looking for... or waiting till... is a never ending strategy. The X10 protocol and AHP suites of software, with the CM15A, and a connected running PC... IMHO is the best thing going at this time.

People have found ways to do... what I think are amazing things with the hardware and software available today. And X10 makes everything more affordable today... than ever before. I only hope I can continue to grow and adapt with the technology.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.