Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would like an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV then a Channel  (Read 8965 times)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Would like an Eagle Eye to turn on a TV then a Channel
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »

What you need, insofar as switching AV inputs on the TV is what is known as a "discrete code".  Many TV remotes have you press a "Input" or similar button multiple times to cycle through the inputs, but quite often there is a "discrete code" that when sent once will go directly to the input you want.

BVC and the USB-UIRT store IR codes in the popular "Pronto" format.  The IR code can be learned from another remote, or typed (copy and paste) from libraries of known codes.  I would suggest Googling "Pronto discrete code" and looking for your TV model and the input you want to switch to on one of the sites that show up.
 >!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:38:00 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

What you need, insofar as switching AV inputs on the TV is what is known as a "discrete code".  Many TV remotes have you press a "Input" or similar button multiple times to cycle through the inputs, but quite often there is a "discrete code" that when sent once will go directly to the input you want.

BVC and the USB-UIRT store IR codes in the popular "Pronto" format.  The IR code can be learned from another remote, or typed (copy and paste) from libraries of known codes.  I would suggest Googling "Pronto discrete code" and looking for your TV model and the input you want to switch to on one of the sites that show up.
 >!
Bill, In my case I'm using a modulator on a vacant cable channel 122 into my whole house cable TV system to monitor all the cameras so instead of switching to a source or input on the living room TV I need an IR command to go to CH122, that is a 3 step button command, after the turn on command.

Dave, I have successfully programmed the VCR Commander (UX23A) to turn the TV on then off after 5 minutes. Now I just need a way to send an IR command for CH122. The BVC / USB-UIRT method is cost prohibitive at this time for me so I will continue to look for another way. I may have to use BVC & UIRT eventually. Thanks so far.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:24:24 AM by Frank3d »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »

Dave, I have successfully programmed the VCR Commander (UX23A) to turn the TV on then off after 5 minutes. Now I just need a way to send an IR command for CH122. The BVC / USB-UIRT method is cost prohibitive at this time for me so I will continue to look for another way. I may have to use BVC & UIRT eventually. Thanks so far.

See if the TV's setting will allow you to set the start (power on) on channel to 122. If the TV doesn't have a power on setting... try remembering to turn the TV to 122 before turning it off.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Frank3d

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »

See if the TVs setting will allow you to set the start (power on) on channel to 122. If the TV doesn't have a power on setting... try remembering to turn the TV to 122 before turning it off.
Dave, Already thought of that but no way can I teach my wife to remember to set the channel to 122 before she turns it off. Besides that what if the TV is already on? Then I would only like it to switch to ch122. I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too as they say. Still thinking and appreciating any input. Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »

Dave, Already thought of that but no way can I teach my wife to remember to set the channel to 122 before she turns it off. Besides that what if the TV is already on? Then I would only like it to switch to ch122.
I understand... but we should point out for the newbies: Wifes can learn.. it's just never a good idea to teach them. It's always best to make the automation setup conform to established [wife] patterns/habits.

....... To bad the Nstinct remote doesn’t have a X10 RF receiver in it. If it did then I could create a macro in it to do this task....
Could you just make your Nstinct remote's Off be a macro... that includs the 122 channel change 1st. At least you'd be half way there.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:32:16 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Frank3d

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »

Dave, Already thought of that but no way can I teach my wife to remember to set the channel to 122 before she turns it off. Besides that what if the TV is already on? Then I would only like it to switch to ch122.
I understand... but we should point out for the newbies: Wifes can learn.. it's just never a good idea to teach them. It's always best to make the automation setup conform to established [wife] patterns/habits.

....... To bad the Nstinct remote doesn’t have a X10 RF receiver in it. If it did then I could create a macro in it to do this task....
Could you just make your Nstinct remote's Off be a macro... that includs the 122 channel change 1st. At least you'd be half way there.

That's a darn good idea. I have a UX23A (VCR Commander) turning the TV on by the Eagle Eye already so this would be a good alternative. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:50:21 PM by Frank3d »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.