Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improving Reception  (Read 8364 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Improving Reception
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

Hello is there anyway to improve the reception of the receivers. The actual picture isn't that bad but the antenna is as you know directional is there a work around I was thinking of going to a completely different system, but with the new x10 iWatch Mobile software that allows you to view your home from your phone I said I would first see if I can improve the reception before moving on. First Alert has a kind of nice wired system that uses a SD card.  Guess if I do sell the stuff maybe eBay??  ???

Tom j.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:34:13 PM by tom j »

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Improving Reception
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »

Hey Tom,
I thought I saw a bunch of posts regarding a mod for the receivers...something like a wireless router antenna. Are you using Ninja's on the cams?
I am. And I'm getting ready to dismount the antenna on the remote cameras and affix them to the soffit or the wall directly so they don't move as the
cams pan around. I haven't opened one up yet but I'm betting the little coax is cut just to fix. That means adding to the coax to get that paddle moved
away. I bet Brian, Mr. R.F.  :) might have some ideas. Playing around with stuff in the gigahertz range gets tricky though.
So, putting an omni-directional antenna on the receiver (like the wireless router ant.) and fixing the camera paddles so they always point to the receiver will
yield the best results. The fewer things you have between cam and rcvr, the better.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:42:01 AM »

Here is one of the threads on replacing the antenna with a wireless router antenna.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=u1fkidnk0377l4mc60fc78irj1&topic=21060.0

Extending the antenna a long distance could be a problem. Unless well thought out as mentioned 2.4GHz is finicky to things like coaxial cable used.

tom j

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »

Hey Tom,
I thought I saw a bunch of posts regarding a mod for the receivers...something like a wireless router antenna. Are you using Ninja's on the cams?
I am. And I'm getting ready to dismount the antenna on the remote cameras and affix them to the soffit or the wall directly so they don't move as the
cams pan around. I haven't opened one up yet but I'm betting the little coax is cut just to fix. That means adding to the coax to get that paddle moved
away. I bet Brian, Mr. R.F.  :) might have some ideas. Playing around with stuff in the gigahertz range gets tricky though.
So, putting an omni-directional antenna on the receiver (like the wireless router ant.) and fixing the camera paddles so they always point to the receiver will
yield the best results. The fewer things you have between cam and rcvr, the better.

Well I had to give up on the Ninja's I have two cameras in the front and one in the back and it's very difficult to get a clear picture from all three. And before someone asks yep I laid the antenna flat but the reception is just not what I feel is acceptable. Thanks!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »

Here is one of the threads on replacing the antenna with a wireless router antenna.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=u1fkidnk0377l4mc60fc78irj1&topic=21060.0

Extending the antenna a long distance could be a problem. Unless well thought out as mentioned 2.4GHz is finicky to things like coaxial cable used.

Brian you're the GREATEST this is really a tremendous help and I'll have to give you another Bronnie points for your help. Thanks!!

Tom j.

Kermdogg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

I know that this is about 3 months old but maybe someone can make use of it if they find it on the forum.

I have 4 - Modded XC22As B/W nightwatch cams, 1 - Ninja Pan and tilt Base, 2 - VR36As Video Receivers, 2 - CR12As Camera Remotes, 4 - MS14As Eagle Eye Motion Sensors, 1 - VA12A video capture device, 1 VCR Commander II, 1 - TM751, 2-lamp modules, 5 - socket rockets, DS7000 and several security devices, AHP, iWatchout, MyHouse, Smartmacros, OnAlert

My home a 1200 ft2 ranch with attached garage, only 80 ft long, but with the composition of the home and wanting to monitor all four corners,  I had problems with reception, finding a secure location for the power supplies, and getting PLC signals to the camera supplies.  I read on the forum http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13139.msg73205#msg73205 that wireless cams could be modded to wired.  Liking the wireless functionality for multiple receivers I wanted to keep the transmitters.

Using Puck's mod I cut the camera loose from the transmitter and antenna.  Soldered the phone cable to the camera and heat shrinked the connections.  Then I placed the cameras and slid the phone cable into the F channel that holds the soffet, Running the cables toward the attached garage.  I drilled a hole through the F channel into the garage, fed the cables into the garage, Routed them to a location on the common wall for the house and garage, rolled up the service loops, and terminated with RJ-11s.  Two cameras penetrate the front of the garage and two from the rear.  All cables are concealed outside the house except a 5" drip loop at the camera.

If soldering skill are light, one could split the difference on the wire length exposed in the transmitter enclosure and solder the wires to wires and insulating them.  Overheating the board during cleanup is a common electronics error and could damage it.

Using a short piece of the cable,  I De-soldered the original 5 wires from the transmitter, Cleaned the 4 holes up with solder wick, and soldered the short piece of cable to the transmitter, terminating the other end of the cable to an RJ-11 jack.  Hung all of the transmitters 1" apart on the garage wall, connected the cameras RJ-11s, and oriented the antenna to face straight down the house.

Now all of the transmitter antenna are aimed directly down the center of the house through a gyp and 2x4 wall and all power supplies are fed from the same outlet that gets good PLC.  No rolling, lines, or snow, all cameras switch reliably.  My CM15A is centered in the house and for some odd reason I have not had an issue with the four MS14As??  For an attached garage scenario this is very easy way to keep the power supplies secure, and also solves the antenna orientation error that may cause problems on the pan and tilt base.

I've had perfect video for about 3 months and would like to place the transmitters in a project box with the jacksand antenna properly mounted.  This would give it a finished look and make it easier to mount ... but it's working and I have other battles to fight ... some day ... maybe?

I would recommend that before modding cameras and transmitters that one would find a reliable PLC outlet, and place a camera at that location.  Then move a receiver from location to location in the house to ensure that reception is adequate for their construction and needs.

kermit

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.