Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How about PC Companion to control TV on & Channel # via a UX23A???  (Read 2958 times)

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

All,
I recently came across a third party software that may do what I need called PC Companion. I see it has many extra commands that can be made to execute through a VCR Commander II (UX23A) that are not supported with AHP and the UX23A alone like use the X10 VCR Commander to string commands like TV power, TV channel3, VCR power, VCR record. I wonder if that means it will execute a string like turn TV on, a 5sec Delay then switch to channel 122? Realising that switching to channel 122 takes 3 separate commands itself, (1) + (2) + (2).
Can anyone using PC Companion give some advise? Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: How about PC Companion to control TV on & Channel # via a UX23A???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »

Since PcCompanion uses the hidden commands for a UX23A & UX17A and it is limited to codes available from X10.
With this in mind some newer AV brands can't be controlled. :(
X10 added these option to AHP in late fall 2010 but I haven't played with it to see exactly how it would work. ::) :'
I would imagine it works similar to PCC.
PCC will string the commands as I have it turn on my TV then switch to a channel then turn on the VCR.
You may wish to look into the USB UIRT as it will control the newer brands and has a learning feature.
There are several software makers that make software for controlling it I believe there are even some free ones.
However if you wish to control this with X10 your software options become less!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »

Since PcCompanion uses the hidden commands for a UX23A & UX17A and it is limited to codes available from X10.
With this in mind some newer AV brands can't be controlled. :(
X10 added these option to AHP in late fall 2010 but I haven't played with it to see exactly how it would work. ::) :'
I would imagine it works similar to PCC.
PCC will string the commands as I have it turn on my TV then switch to a channel then turn on the VCR.
You may wish to look into the USB UIRT as it will control the newer brands and has a learning feature.
There are several software makers that make software for controlling it I believe there are even some free ones.
However if you wish to control this with X10 your software options become less!
 >!
Tuiceman, Thanks for the quick responce.  >! So what your saying is that there is a slim possibility I can use AHP's IR Commands option if the UX23A supports my brand of AV equipment. If so, then I will start experimenting and see if my TV is supported.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »

So what your saying is that there is a slim possibility I can use AHP's IR Commands option if the UX23A supports my brand of AV equipment.
Yes.
I believe there is a list of devices supported in the X10 wiki. Someone else may provide a link as it slips my mind right now.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.