Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automatically switching/rotating cameras  (Read 5972 times)

carinrvt1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Automatically switching/rotating cameras
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »

I will start off that this topic may be frustrating to us all as I try to explain this.  I am not tech savy and when I am successful its usually dumb luck.

I am running my x10 cameras through a different online web service (Marestare.com) for my foaling stall (we raise horses if you haven't already figured that out).  I recently discovered that these cameras will switch automatically when I plugged a 2nd camera in at the house to test it while the barn camera was still running.  However, when I took the 2nd camera outside to install it in the barn, they stopped switching and I started to get "ghost" images. 

Is there a certain distance they have to be part to work correctly?  They were both on A1 and worked in the house. 

thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Automatically switching/rotating cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

Only one wireless camera can be on at a time or you get the interference as you found.
Cameras work in groups of four. Same House Code and Units group 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16. Turn one On the other three in the group go Off.

What remote or controller are you using to switch the cameras?

They are controlled by power line commands so typical X10 signal troubleshooting maybe needed.

One camera should be on A1 and the second on A2. Sending an A1 On should turn off A2 and sending an A2 On should turn off A1.

carinrvt1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

Not using any remote or controller.  When one was plugged in inside and the other out in the barn, they did switch/rotate on their own.  But when I installed the 2nd cam in the same barn 4 feet part, it stopped.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

They can't switch on their own. They turn on and off by power line signals and when first powered up. They default to On.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Multiple_Cameras_with_One_Video_Receiver

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_Camera_Switching

The only reason the second camera worked inside. Was its signal was strong enough to completely mask the one in the barn.
You will have to either use a camera remote and RF to powerline transceiver to manually switch them, or get a computer program to do it automatically with the proper X10 devices to send the power line control signal to the cameras in the barn.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:43:42 PM by Brian H »

carinrvt1

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »

I will read the links provided. Thank you.  But I promise cam 1 and cam 2 switched back and forth w/o me doing anything several times. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »

OK what model cameras?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.