Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do they work?  (Read 18398 times)

jeepr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Do they work?
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »

I just saw on the website the new mobile apps, and they look very interesting.  The problem is that I quit using ActiveHomePro like 2 years ago and got some software from a 3rd party.  ActiveHomePro has nice features, but it simply never worked.  It's been a while, but as I recall, my biggest problem was with the remote control/monitoring.... it would hang, not connect, freeze, etc.  I was just told by sales there hasn't been an update of AHP since 2005, so I have no reason to believe it has changed.

So, with all of that said, then is it possible for the mobile apps to work with a "host" that doesn't?  What has everyone's experiences been?

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
Re: Do they work?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »

Perhaps what thesales person meant to say is that they haven't replaced AHP since it came out.
AHP has seen many, many updates recently. Since you own a license, I encourage you to try it out and give it a shot again. If it does work for you now, then the mobile apps will be a snap: the new AHP installerhas all the files for the Mobile Apps included, they just aren't unlocked until you get the software installer & reg code.

At any rate: http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

jeepr

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

jeepr

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:49:31 PM »

I did download the latest AHP, and it all looks as bad as in the past.  While my "host" computer was supposedly connecting to the MyHouse web server, the remote could never attached.  About 4 out of 5 times the remote would fail to even connect to MyHouse server.  And when it did, then it would just hang on "connecting to system xyz" (supposedly trying to connect to my "host" computer").  I opened ports 80, 443, 8080, and 8888, none helped.  I see posts in these forums with others with the same problems that have gone unresolved.

And, since I have to assume the mobile apps use this same interface, I'm not going to pay for them only to find they can't connect (or connect reliably) either. Nothing is going to fix this stuff until they either fix their "in between" MyHouse server or eliminate it and allow peer-to-peer. 

I'm back to HomeDomination for my software, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it WORKS and it doesn't suck all the resources on my host computer either.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »

@jeepr:
Yes, MyHouse is still a bit of a troublemaker. It's because of the way it was designed to work in browser as an ActiveX control.

The Mobile Apps use an entirely different interface: They're actually web pages served by your computer to the internet.
With the regular Mobile Apps, they're served internally to your home network (WiFi or Wired), and work that way. With the "Pro" versions, you can use a direct link to your internal network, or decide to use the X10 Reflector to view the page - either method has worked for many, if not all of us here with the Mobile Apps.

To access any of the regular Mobile Apps outside of your home network, you can use Port Forwarding on your router (as you had mentioned). When you buy one of the Pro apps and get the Reflector service, you don't have to worry about Port Forwarding, and it automatically extends that ability to all of the regular Mobile Apps.

As a side note, of course, I don't work for X10, but I do use it without any hitches. I even set up ActivePhone with public access the other day and let people control my Holiday Lights from the web. Worked without a single problem! I also use it on my old P4 2.2Ghz (non Hyper Threading) with 1GB of RAM, and I can still use that same computer for Bill's Voice Commander, serving media to my Xbox/PS3, and more.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:20 AM »

I did download the latest AHP, and it all looks as bad as in the past.  While my "host" computer was supposedly connecting to the MyHouse web server, the remote could never attached.  About 4 out of 5 times the remote would fail to even connect to MyHouse server.  And when it did, then it would just hang on "connecting to system xyz" (supposedly trying to connect to my "host" computer").  I opened ports 80, 443, 8080, and 8888, none helped.  I see posts in these forums with others with the same problems that have gone unresolved.

And, since I have to assume the mobile apps use this same interface, I'm not going to pay for them only to find they can't connect (or connect reliably) either. Nothing is going to fix this stuff until they either fix their "in between" MyHouse server or eliminate it and allow peer-to-peer. 

I'm back to HomeDomination for my software, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it WORKS and it doesn't suck all the resources on my host computer either.

Say could you give me the rundown on Home Domination I'm always open to new things. And do these mobile apps really work are all the bugs basically out of them, I might try one. Thanks

Tom j.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »

And do these mobile apps really work are all the bugs basically out of them, I might try one.
The Mobile Apps have been quite consistent for me.
There's only been one real bug I've ever run into. There was one of the earlier versions of ActivePhone that didn't dim/bright properly. That was fixed ages ago and is no longer a problem.

What everyone sees about the mobile apps are networking issues. Working in the realm of computer repair, I see a lot of people get frustrated with home networking - either because they are intimidated by the controls (which are fully documented in your Router's instruction manual), or because their service provider blocks certain things (which can't be helped).

I agree that no one enjoys reading a 30 page manual about their shiny new router, but if you want things to work, you may have to read it. Everyone has to start somewhere!

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »

For me they work fine then they all stop working. I just got x10 cameras when i plug them in i lose WIFI i think my router is 2.4 ghz. I'm thinking that it. Is there a router that don't use 2.4 ghz ? I have iphone 3gs now going to upgrade it when iphone 5 come out in June.

So you said i don't have to use port forwading they you have the pro apps ? the iwatchmobile was using an other ip address xxx.xxx.x.6 ahp was using xxx.xxx.x.100 X10 commander was using port 6003 at ip  xxx.xxx.x.6.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »

For me they work fine then they all stop working. I just got x10 cameras when i plug them in i lose WIFI i think my router is 2.4 ghz.
Did you try changing freqs on cameras and router? i.e Set cams and receiver to lowest frequency in 2.4GHz band (A) and force router to highest frequency if possible.

Otherwise have camera ON before powering router. Router should scan for unused frequency when powered up.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.