Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ws12a problem turning off  (Read 6286 times)

carmanah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ws12a problem turning off
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »

I have several ws12a modules and a couple of appliance and lamp modules all of which work normally with the switches, a CM15A and a PalmPad. All of the x10 pieces are new.

I have a problem with a single ws12a. It is controling a single wall plug with an attached lamp. The wall switch, and PalmPad turns it on and off normally and the CM15 turns it on but it won't turn it off. I have added and deleted the lamp module and added a second "off" command but it still won't turn off. I have downloaded all the timers and modules several times. Does that sound like a ws12a switch issue or should I be looking somewhere else? I am running the latest AHP software.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: ws12a problem turning off
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »

I have several ws12a modules and a couple of appliance and lamp modules all of which work normally with the switches, a CM15A and a PalmPad. All of the x10 pieces are new.

I have a problem with a single ws12a. It is controling a single wall plug with an attached lamp. The wall switch, and PalmPad turns it on and off normally and the CM15 turns it on but it won't turn it off. I have added and deleted the lamp module and added a second "off" command but it still won't turn off. I have downloaded all the timers and modules several times. Does that sound like a ws12a switch issue or should I be looking somewhere else? I am running the latest AHP software.

A few questions:

1) Do you have any TM751 or RR501 transceivers in your home, or is the CM15A the only RF receiver you have?
If you have another path (besides the CM15A) to get the RF signal from the HR12A into the powerline, then the problem may be due to noise generated by the lamp itself, or some other device in your home. A TM751 and/or RR501 could be putting out a stronger signal, or one wilthless interference, due to the signal path.

2) What type of light bulb is in the lamp?
CFL and LED bulbs can generate enough noise to prevent the switch from hearing some commands. When the lamp is off, the noise isn't there, so "on" works, but not "off". A dimmer built into the lamp could also be a potential source for noise. You might want to troubleshoot with a different lamp (with an incandescent bulb), to see if the results are different.

3) Is there anything else on that circuit besides the one wall switch and lamp?
Other devices on the same circuit (although it could be anywhere in your home) can cause noise that interferes with the X10 signal. Some devices can act as "signal suckers" and actually reduce the signal strength, rather than just overpower it.

4) How, exactly, are you trying to turn it "off" from the CM15A?
Are you trying to use a timer, macro, or the GUI itself (clicking on the "switch" on the screen) to turn it off? Does it behave any differently depending on which method you use?

5) Does the Activity Monitor in AHP show the "off" command correctly for that switch when you try to turn it off from the CM15A?
Does the "off" command look any different when you send it from the HR12A?

carmanah

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »

CM15a is the only RF receiver

Its a standard Phillips incandescent tri light. Maybe I should try a different bulb.

I think its on the same circuit with my computer, printer modem etc.

I'm trying to use the timer. Everything else seems seems to turn it on and off properly.

The CM15 isn't actually connected to the computer except when I'm trying to update the settings.

The activity monitor doesn't show any movement from any of the the switches but shows properly from the CM15A and the HR12A

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

The WS12a is a dimming switch, yet you are using it to operate a wall outlet, right?  I was told you cannot do this because of the soft start dimming when it turns a light on.  I believe BrianH provided me with this info.  You might need to buy a non dimming wall switch.
What has your home done for you today?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »

Using a dimmer switch on an outlet. Is not a good idea and I believe an electrical code violation.
Too easy to accidentlay plug a appliance into the outlet and fry something.
Do you have a neutral power wire in the switch box? If you do a relay type switch like the XPS3 or WS13A would work.

AHP will not show any changes when the switches are locally toggled on and off. They have no power line transmitter in them to give AHP any clue it was changed. So that is normal. Local changes will not show up in AHP.

If the outlet and WS12a are on the same circuit as the computers. They can be making X10 power line noise or absorbing the signals.

You can turn it on and off from AHP and only the timer control is a problem?

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »

Yes, controlling the outlet with a dimmer is a code violation, but from a technical standpoint, there should be no difference, since the outlet draws no power at all unless something is plugged into it and turned on.

If you can turn it on and off from within AHP properly, but timers don't turn it off, it might be due to the module definition.
Make sure it is defined as a "wall switch" from the "old lamps - no SoftStart" category (assuming you are using AHP 3.302 or later).

I can't think of any other reason why a timer would fail to turn it off, but you can turn it off from the "switch" inside AHP.
Does the "off" command look EXACTLY the same when it runs from the timer, versus from the HR12A or by manually turning it off with the "switch" in the GUI?

carmanah

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

Thanks guys. I've been using AHP at home for years and liked it so well I decided to use it in our second home. The forum help is appreciated.

The wall switch and the HR12A both turn the lamp on and off off normally and there is change in appearance when it is done from the computer. The code issue makes sense when i think about it. When I change it to the old WS12A lamp module, it doesn't work. I think the best thing is to change the switch to a WS13A. I'm pretty sure there is a neutral wire in the box. (I'm assuming a non dimable switch would be ok code-wise.)

There is definitely a surge preventer on the computer which is on the same circuit. I'll (at least temporarily) remove the surge preventer and see if that makes a difference. A modem, router and printer are all plugged into the surge preventer.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

Thanks guys. I've been using AHP at home for years and liked it so well I decided to use it in our second home. The forum help is appreciated.

The wall switch and the HR12A both turn the lamp on and off off normally and there is change in appearance when it is done from the computer. The code issue makes sense when i think about it. When I change it to the old WS12A lamp module, it doesn't work. I think the best thing is to change the switch to a WS13A. I'm pretty sure there is a neutral wire in the box. (I'm assuming a non dimable switch would be ok code-wise.)

There is definitely a surge preventer on the computer which is on the same circuit. I'll (at least temporarily) remove the surge preventer and see if that makes a difference. A modem, router and printer are all plugged into the surge preventer.

That surge preventor is the cause. If the CM15A is plugged into the surge preventor the powerline signals won't pass to the modules. I use a noise filter on the PC and the modem and router, the CM15A is plugged into a separate outlet NOT filtered.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

carmanah

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

The CM15a is not plugged into a surge protector.
The problem light switch is on the same circuit with the computer, modem etc. The computer stuff was on a surge protector but I have now removed it (temporarily) and the CM15A still turns the light on but not off.
I probably didn't mention it initially but some of the circuits in the house are GFI protected, however I don't think this applies to either the CM15A or the problem light circuit.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

The computers and the rest of the electronics on the same branch circuit. Maybe making power line noise or absorbing the X10 signals. You may need an X10 type power line filter on them.
Is there any way to get the electronics off the same branch circuit just as a test?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »

Is the ws12 soft start?  Is it defined as such in the AHP? 
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

carmanah

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »

I may be responding out of sequence here so pardon me if I'm repeating responses.

Temporarily moving the modems etc to another circuit is doable but not simple. I'm actually returning to my other home Monday and won't be back for here for a month. I'll try relocating the modems etc when I get back and will also see if I can get a filter (see note below). I'll also replace the WS12A with a WS13 (non dim-able) for safety reasons. I may also try replacing the X10 switch with a normal switch and using a lamp module but if its line noise, that is not likely to make a difference.

The WS12A switch is defined as such in the AHP. I tried to change it to the older version of the light module but then it didn't work at all.

I think I probably need to try a filter but I don't really know where to get it or how it is installed.

If the plug is on a GFI circuit would that make any difference?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.