Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have a problem with cam switching  (Read 5760 times)

geeforce

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
I have a problem with cam switching
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

I have had 4 cameras working perfectly. When 1 cam is activated the other on cam would cut off and switch to the newly activated cam. I don't have and outside power source for the side of my house. I have a power plug in my bathroom on that side of the house so i drilled through the plug's box to the outside. I then connected a outdoor weather box and pluged in a Xcam2 cam (#XX20A) and a Flood lamp from Lowe's using a appliance module (AM486) as a switcher. I have a motion sensor (MS14A) as a trigger for the cam set to the same house code as the cam. The sensor and cam set to the same housecode and code works better for me. They are working fine coming on and off after motion stops.

My problem is the newly installed cam does not always switch off when another cam activates on and i get interference. Both cams are trying to supply feed at the same time and i have ghost images from both cams. I tried to make a switching macros, but it didn't work. I also have a floodcam that i want to install at the rear of the house to watch the back window. I used a cable and  plug on it and tried it at different outlets with the same problem. Anyone have an idea as to what i can do to make smooth switching between cams or a working macro to do the switching. Thanks in advance.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: I have a problem with cam switching
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:23:05 AM »

Standard incandescent Flood Light bulb?
Does it work better if the light and appliance module are not connected?
Was this camera one of the four that was fine and did you move it from where it originally worked?

Sounds like the power line On signal to the other cameras is not getting to the camera with intermittent response. You probably know cameras work in groups of four. Same House Code Units 1-4,5-8,9-12 or 13-16. An On to one in the group turns Off the other three.

Have you had any problems with the MS14A's Dusk Dawn Sensor? Where it sends an On at dusk and an Off at dawn to the next highest unit code from its motion address?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:37:25 AM by Brian H »

geeforce

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late one. I'm using a incandescent light bulb in the flood light. I haven't tried it without the appliance module because then the light would always stay on. The problem cam is the newly installed one. It is cam # 5. As far as the dust to dawn. When i installed the sensors i just set the housecode and unit code. Should i have done more? When i set the cams i set the code on the base of the cam and the power plug. Is there more to do there?  I just switched all my sensors and camera's housecode from B to C. It worked pretty good during the day switching with no problem and great video, but tonight it is terrible. I get static from all my cameras and i still have the problem with the switching. The cameras seem to work better on B. I'll wait to hear from you before changing them back. P.S. the camera in question is only 15 feet from AHP and i can switch it easily in the program.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:00:37 PM by geeforce »

geeforce

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

I couldn't wait any longer so i changed everything back to the B housecode, because i have to work tonight. All of my cams are now displaying with no static, But cam B5 still won't turn off everytime. I would still get feed from B5 and any cam that turned on, because B5 wouldn't always turn off. So i tried to create another switching program to help it turn off. I had to use a lot of else macros " else B1 on turn B5 0ff. Again with the next. Else B2 on turn B5 off. ETC. First test it's working fine. I'll see how it works tonight using my cell from work. I believe I'll still have cam 1 turn off after the first activation and turn back on after the next. I believe it's going to be something I'm going to have to live with. I'm not mad about it because if somebody is trying to come in the door they will cause a reactivation of the motion sensor. Another observation the only cams I'm having problem with is the outside ones. B1 is the outside porch (needs reactivation from the sensor to stay on & B5 oil drum won't turn off when another cams turn on.) i guess i can say the cams are now running at 95%. any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is my lay out B1 porch, B2 bedroom, B3 Livingroom, B4 Kitchen, and B5 oil drum. Oil this time cost me $405. It would normally cost me per month, but i have been stretching it to lasting about 3 months.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:36:00 AM by geeforce »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.