Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the MorningLinc X10 compatible?  (Read 15139 times)

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Is the MorningLinc X10 compatible?
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »

Can an x10 address be set? I thought all new Insteon modules could, but it doesn't mention it in the ML manual.
I was wondering because I'm wanting to install a Morning Industries RF door lock but have a x10 only setup except for 1 keypadlinc.
If not, I guess I could mod the MI keychain remote with a Powerflash and use an x10 remote

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Is the MorningLinc X10 compatible?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:03:15 AM »

Insteon can not directly control a MorningLinc lock. An Insteon MorningLinc Interface Module is used.
I don't think the Insteon MorningLinc Interface module can have an X10 address added to it.
The sales sheet doesn't mention a X10 primary address.
http://www.smarthome.com/2458A1/MorningLinc-INSTEON-Morning-Industry-RF-Doorknob-Deadbolt-Controller/p.aspx

"Important Note Regarding Lock Status: The MorningLinc converts INSTEON commands to Morning Industry's RF commands. Since this RF is one-way, an INSTEON system cannot confirm whether the lock has received the RF command or not. Please exercise your best judgment when remotely controlling or automating door locks."

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:19:48 AM by Brian H »

B.A.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »

That's what I figured. I may contact smarthome to confirm.

Brian, are there controllers that send both Insteon and X10 PL signals?
What do users with mixed systems normally use?
My system works flawlessly with X10 but my Keypadlinc only responds about 30% of the time.
I'm using a CM15A with AHP. I did notice improved signal response from a PAT01 transceiver over the CM15 signal, but
still not 100%. I don't have any filters or signal boosting currently in place.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »

Yes there are controllers that send both X10 and Insteon.
The 2413S and 2413U Powerline Modems can, but are not standalone. They need a computer or controller sending signals through them.
Mine is controlled by a ISY99i.
They do make a few other interfaces that I believe can stand alone, but I am not that versed on them.

Your KeypadLinc. Is the problem it does not respond to power line commands or the X10 commands it sends not received by the module being controlled?

Like most two way devices. It has a powerline transmitter in it. That can absorb both Insteon and X10 signals. If the signals are borderline or they is noise on the line. They may not respond.

Insteon signals get resent while X10 does not. By the modules.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:02:43 AM »

I always get nervous when someone mentions X10 and locks in the same breath.
X10 has just 256 theoretical house/unit codes.
Great for convenience - really, really, really bad for security.
X10 controlled locks may void your home insurance against home invasion/theft.

Your best judgement on automating locks should consider the odds of your friendly burglar/murderer chancing across your X10 lock code, as well as the fact that Insteon freely admit that your automated lock may not secure your door when you want it to :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

B.A.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

Your KeypadLinc. Is the problem it does not respond to power line commands or the X10 commands it sends not received by the module being controlled?

The problem is with receiving. It sends x10 perfectly.

beelocks; As far as security, Ihear what you're saying. The door in question is actually inside the garage and into the house.
Someone would have to break into the garage first. I realize that's also a possibility.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:41 AM »

I an educated guessing here.
The KeypadLinc may need a stronger X10 signal or it may have AGC in it and noise is setting the receivers detection level too high for the signal being received.

B.A.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »

Smarthome has confirmed that the MorningLinc can not be assigned an X10 address.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.