Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SecuriLink Systems with older door/window sensors  (Read 12966 times)

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
SecuriLink Systems with older door/window sensors
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »

I see a lower price on the 19 piece SecuriLink systems, but they now include the older style door / window sensors.  I see they are a little different physically, and the older sensors use AA batteries instead of AAA.  Other than that, is there any advantages of the new sensors over the old?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SecuriLink Systems with older door/window sensors
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

The new DS12A can have an extra magnetic switch wired to a terminal block in it. That set of switches would act as a separate zone as each gets registered separately. Yes if the inside switch is Zone 1 the external would be Zone 2. If I do them in order.
Smaller physically than the DS10A.
No external wired switch as it is an all in one. Though in some cases can be a problem.

In some cases the older DS10As maybe better physically. In my home all the doors and windows frames have rounded features. Having to mount the complete sensor on the door or window frame is looking like a challenge to me. Unless I make some brackets or use a chisel on the frames. B:(.   
Also one of my outside doors opens from Left to Right. Only way to line up the magnet and sensor arrows. Is mount it upside down or on the top of the door frame horizontally.

-:) Maybe I could mount the sensor on the flat wall and just use an external switch. Not registering the internal one.

With the DS10A in my house. I could mount the sensor itself on the flat wall. Then mount the switch connected to the wire pair on the door and frame.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:52:49 AM by Brian H »

Jeff M

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »

Thanks.  I was just wondering if one sensor was "better" than the other.  Curious as to why they switched to the older sensors.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

Lower priced package deal.

They also had a DS10A sale last week. They where very inexpensive in the deal.
Maybe they need to move them out to make room for the DS12As.

The price of the older console systems has also dropped.
Maybe they feel the SC1200 system will make the older ones less desirable.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »

I see a lower price on the 19 piece SecuriLink systems, but they now include the older style door / window sensors.  I see they are a little different physically, and the older sensors use AA batteries instead of AAA.  Other than that, is there any advantages of the new sensors over the old?

To me it seems like they are trying to save a little cash going with the older door/window sensors opposed to the newer tamper resistant ones. They don't even mention Tamper Resistants in their adds anymore. This really seems like a cost saving effort, and now you will have a mixture of tamper resistant and non tamper resistant units. Really seems to take away one of the major advantages of the new system.  :(  :-\

Tom j.

Jeff M

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

I didn't know that they were not tamper resistant.  I purchased and installed an SC1200 system in my house.  The new door/window sensors worked even when mounted on curved door moldings.  Wanting to purchase another for my girlfriends place.  Maybe I should wait until the old sensors are gone and they include the new sensors again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

Sorry I forgot to include the tamper switch not in the older DS10A's in my other post.  ???

The DS10A does not have a tamper switch or the added zone input terminals. For an optional second zone on the sensor.

In the next few weeks. Don't be surprised if the weekly special again has the DS12As in it. They maybe out of them right now.

Thanks for the information on your DS12A's working on curved door frames.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:55:42 PM by Brian H »

tom j

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »

I didn't know that they were not tamper resistant.  I purchased and installed an SC1200 system in my house.  The new door/window sensors worked even when mounted on curved door moldings.  Wanting to purchase another for my girlfriends place.  Maybe I should wait until the old sensors are gone and they include the new sensors again.

Some people were actually having problems with the newer tamper resistant door window sensors and found the placement difficult. You're really only giving up the tamper resistance and an extra input for more flexable mounting. What do you think Brian.  ???

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »

Well on my rounded door and window frames. It looks like a challenge to get the thing fairly straight and get the magnet close enough to the sensor, for reliable operation.

My side door is an open from Left to Right. On that one I guess it goes upside down or on the top of the frame. Anyother way and the arrows don't point to each other.

So for some users the older DS10A. Where you could mount the sensor on a flat wall and just mount the switch and magnet. Would be a help.
Some installs may actually be better with the older DS10A's over the DS12A's.
Also not sure how many will actually be using the second external sensor input for a second zone.

I don't have any DS10As to see if they have a better RF distance range over the DS12As.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »

Well on my rounded door and window frames. It looks like a challenge to get the thing fairly straight and get the magnet close enough to the sensor, for reliable operation.

My side door is an open from Left to Right. On that one I guess it goes upside down or on the top of the frame. Anyother way and the arrows don't point to each other.

So for some users the older DS10A. Where you could mount the sensor on a flat wall and just mount the switch and magnet. Would be a help.
Some installs may actually be better with the older DS10A's over the DS12A's.
Also not sure how many will actually be using the second external sensor input for a second zone.

I don't have any DS10As to see if they have a better RF distance range over the DS12As.

Hi Brian say quick question I know you would know are those new Decorator light switches if they still flash or just ramp up and down. I really don't necessary like the memory function do they all have that feature. Thanks

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »

I don't know about them having the resume dim feature.
The wiki entry points to having it, but is not specific.  :'
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

I don't have data on them flashing correctly with either the DS7000's console or new SC1200.
I do know my early softstart LM456s didn't but the later ones do.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 02:10:40 AM »

Say whats up just noticed they now have the older MS10a's Motion detectors what happen to the tamper resistant ones they just swapped out the newer sensors for the old non tamper resistant ones Guess they thought no one would notice hun. Well I did!  ::)   :'

Tom

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 06:25:31 AM »

Well actually. The kit price also went down I believe $20 with the DS10A kit. Over the kit with the DS12A's. A short time ago.

Maybe they have low stock on the new DS12As; MS18As and KR32s or they have another boat from China full of DS10s, MS10s and KR10s.  rofl
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:16:58 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:52:25 AM »

Now I see the MS18A Motion Sensor was replaced by the MS10A, the DS12A Door Window Sensor with the DS10A and the KR32A Keyfob with the KR10A.
Price went down another $10 to $119.99. From the original $149.99 with DS12A, MS18A and KR32A modules.

So the kit has changed twice recently. Since I bought mine.
Few days ago DS12A replaced by DS10A price was $129.99
Now replaced the DS12A with DS10A, replaced MS18A with MS10A and KR32A with the KR10A. Price now $119.99.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:15:17 AM by Brian H »

tom j

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:24:49 AM »

Now I see the MS18A Motion Sensor was replaced by the MS10A, the DS12A Door Window Sensor with the DS10A and the KR32A Keyfob with the KR10A.
Price went down another $10 to $119.99. From the original $149.99 with DS12A, MS18A and KR32A modules.

So the kit has changed twice recently. Since I bought mine.
Few days ago DS12A replaced by DS10A price was $129.99
Now replaced the DS12A with DS10A, replaced MS18A with MS10A and KR32A with the KR10A. Price now $119.99.

Well it's back to 149 with all new sensors, taking out the new key fob and substituting the old one was really surprising and I don't believe that substitution was because of availability. I don't know whats up but someone sent me a personal email about my post and said they were going back to the newer tamper resistant go figure.  ???

Tom j.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.