Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SC1200 RF Range  (Read 19039 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SC1200 RF Range
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

I also found the antenna wrapped around the case in the grove between the top and bottom pieces.
Did your case open easily. It looks like the case has small catches between the top and bottom and I broke a few during the opening ceremonies.  ;D

spectrum

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »

Hi all,

I recently replaced my old console with the new SC1200.  The range sucked - half of my door/window sensors would not make the trip to the new console - even with the console in the middle of the house.

So, I decided to investigate the guts of the SC1200.  The internal antenna is a joke.  It's just a piece of wire run along the case edge and ending up at the middle of the unit.  It's probably 6 to 8 inches long.

I was thinking that a whip antenna would be a great replacement, but placing one in the case is tough.  I decided on installing a 30" whip (which I purchased at Radio Shack) in the upper left corner of the case by carefully drilling a hole in the top cover.  The siren speaker is mounted inside in this location, and there is a piece of plastic that works well as a mounting point for the antenna base. 

Once the antenna was mounted, I ran a new wire from it to the RF module antenna point (the old antenna wire would not reach that far).  I moved the internal wire antenna connection to the "ground" point next to the antenna connection on the RF module - I figured it would help provide a bit of a ground plane for the whip to work off of.

To make a long story short, my SC1200 now has better range than my old PS561!  I can turn on my outside lights as I'm driving past my neighbor's house (I used to have to be parked next to my house to get the PS561 to hear my remote).

Making this modification made the SC1200 a much better console!  I'm working on taking some photos of my work to post here so others can give it a try.  It's not an easy mod, but if you're handy with a soldering iron, a drill and have some patience (and willing to give up your warranty), I highly recommend it!

Good luck,
- Greg

Greg, is the modification still working well for you?  I am considering doing the same becuase of similar issues with my sc1200 control panel.  Look forward to seeing the pic to help me plan this out

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »

I've tested the very simple technique described here...
with door/window switches. It works quite well although just how you mount the wire might be problematic on windows. (horizontal vs. vertical antenna is not an issue - I saw little difference in range). I haven't tested it but suspect a thin strip of metallic tape would work just as well - maybe even better. It's certainly worth a try.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.