Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless cameras, non x10 to work with x10  (Read 9642 times)

xboxhaxorz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless cameras, non x10 to work with x10
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »

I found this IP camera, its on amazon as well for about $80
http://www.diy-buy.com/wireless-pantilt-internet-ip-camera-support-2-way-audio-pan-coverage-270-degree-tilt-coverage-90-degreefi8908w_p6525.html

I bought the color wireless x10 camera with pan and tilt base. It works ehh alright, but at night its totally useless. It seems even the low light cameras dont work too well either. The camera i link has IR so its obviously great at night. My problem arises with choosing. I am in the process of x10ing my house with active home, camera, and the new home security system which looks pretty cool. I plan to do voice command and all that as soon as i learn.

But the camera is greatly lacking. So i will be looking elsewhere, i assume the IP cameras will meet my needs. I basically want something that records to a hard drive and is viewable from anywhere in the world.

I am pretty new to activehome but i assume there is quite a bit that can be done with incorporating the cameras.

So as per my topic title, can i make a 3rd party camera work with x10 in any way? If not, then i guess as far as camera stuff goes i will leave it to another company.

xboxhaxorz

Re: Wireless cameras, non x10 to work with x10
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »

i forgot, will it work with say a eagle motion sensor?

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »

My thought is you could incorporate a third party camera with X10. However the camera you are looking at has no composite out. X10 uses RF from the uniquely addressed cameras to a RF receiver. From there the signal is composite to a USB converter into your PC. Active Home Pro and the camera system palmpad can select one of many cameras as they each have an address set on their power supplies. The system is able to switch cameras as the RF unit receiver can only process one signal at a time. As mentioned above, if you only need the one camera, you can feed a wired camera into the USB converter(it must have composite out) and use an X10 module to turn the camera on and off based on motion detection. If you want multiple cameras that are third party, then AHP would not be a good fit for mutliple camera control and WEB access.

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »

P.S. I have X10 daylight cameras and they work well. Perhaps another member that has night cameras (low light)can verify your comment as to their clarity if you only"heard" they are not good. Good luck.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »

All cameras have a purpose! An IP camera can function along side of... but not integrated into... your X10 setup. But your IP camera may be able to email you video clips of any activity. read up on it before you buy.

I have used an IP camera setup in my living room when out of town.. so I could look in on the house. But that was before some new apps now available.

If your X10 camera doesn't have enough light to get a decent picture... the intruder will have enough darkness to to feel safe. You need more light! I like IR cameras but they don't take the place of motion sensing floodlights.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

DeeJayT

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »

You won't be happy with any wireless, 1/4 cmos fixed iris cameras. I have tried many wired and wireless including every one made by X10. The color X10 Anaconda does a decent job in daylight none of them worked at night without a lot of light. You want at least a 1/3 cmos 480 line resolution camera with auto iris to adjust to varying light conditions with IR illumination. This camera by ApexCCTV
http://www.apexcctv.com/p-50-vandal-resistant-weatherproof-ir-dome-security-camera.aspx  is the one I finally settled on I have bought 2 and have 2 more ordered does a great job day or night and the picture is crystal clear. I have the cameras connected to a video capture card along with the output from the X10 video sender for the X10 cams I have in the house and I use Blueiris for viewing and motion detection.  Many here have made non X10 cameras work with AHP using appliance modules to turn them off and on and I had mine connected that way for awhile but as my setup grew I found the capture card and Blueiris to be easier than all those appliance modules hanging on my plug strip. I will attach a photo captured from my cell phone showing my front porch Apex camera view. Later tonight I will post one in low light conditions so you can see how well these cams work.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »

....... I have tried many wired and wireless including every one made by X10. The color X10 Anaconda does a decent job in daylight none of them worked at night without a lot of light. You want at least a 1/3 cmos 480 line resolution camera with auto iris to adjust to varying light conditions with IR illumination.

Please let me make two points. 1. For the best home security camera images... you want 1/3inch CCD (not cmos). 2. Lights.. particularly the motion sensor outside lights are known to deter criminals.

Whereas the IR cameras can get decent video in low light... low light conditions are also what attracts criminals. So whats the point? I thought the cameras was to deter the people that would take our stuff and harm the people we care for. Not to make them a part of our home videos. I like IR cameras myself... but NOT as a replacement for safe lighting. Are all proper steps for securing a home.

A secure safe home doesn't arrive in the mail in a package. Securing your home is a series... or layers... of protective actions. Good lighting, clear landscaping (no dark or overgrown areas), good locks on solid secure doors and windows, alarm signs (and alarm), security cameras, and good security practices.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:15:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »

DeeJayT

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »

Dave you are correct (CCD not CMOS) memory going bad from all the artificial sweeteners! Very good point about the lighting, I always have lights on even with the IR cameras.....

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »

Hope I didn't sound like a jerk. I like X10.. and cameras, and alarms. And, I am big fan of technology! But too many seem to think screwing a camera to the wall, or putting an alarm on the door will somehow protect their family. I feel compelled to speak up.

DeeJayT

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »

Not at all Dave, whats a 200 pound Rottweiler cost? Now that's security!!!!!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

Not at all Dave, whats a 200 pound Rottweiler cost? Now that's security!!!!!!!
'specially if he has a Glock as a squeekie toy.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

xboxhaxorz

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »

Well in my case i use the x10 camera as security but not for deterring burglars, its to know who is at my door before i go to it. I am currently looking for an intercom system so that i can talk to the person as well before getting the door.

I got a chamberlin and i am setting that up soon.

I was considering getting the motion sensor flood lights, or motion flood cam is there enough light with that so that the picture will be clear to look at the person?

I guess i will have to consider the best options. I was asked by a guy i know to setup some security cameras in his small business. They will be inside, so i guess i could set it up so that when motion is detected all the lights come on. So for that setup i think the x10 will be fine.

My front door though, hopefully the flood lights work

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.