Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP Migration from XP to Win 7 Pro  (Read 4395 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
AHP Migration from XP to Win 7 Pro
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »

Greetings,

I am considering retiring my 5+ yr old XP PC.  The only purpose left for this system is hosting AHP.

I already have a Win 7 Pro system running.  I have done some forums searching and it looks like other than making sure I have current versions of AHP and the macros there shouldn't be any issues and AHP will run in emulation mode.  It does appear that I am out of date on most (if not all) of the assorted software.  I will update my existing system to the latest versions first and then consider the move to the new host PC.

Any suggestions/comments/concerns?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: AHP Migration from XP to Win 7 Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

I would update to the latest version of AHP (3.306) and any plug-ins you have on the XP box first.  Once that is done, back up your .ahx file(s) to a flash disk along with the install for 3.306 and the installs for the plug-ins.   When you install on the Win7 Pro box, everything you had on the XP box will be there.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »

I've never taken the leap past xp cepting on a laptop out of necessity.  There's a slight issue with permissions on the newer Windoze OS'es that has to be dealt with, but that's been documented well at this forum.

Good Luck and Godspeed!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

I already have a Win 7 Pro system running. 

Me too, and I installed AHPro into a virtual XP window (free download from MS).   Works just fine.

I'll admit I did that a while ago in response to some Win 7 issues being reported, and that eliminated any such problems for me.  Those problems might not be accurate, and might not be relevant anymore with the latest version of AHPro.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

I went from an XP machine running AHP 3.228 to a Windows 7 machine running AHP 3.228.  The only issue I had was getting Windows 7 to accept the VA12A drivers, which is used for the cameras.  Finally was able to load the drivers after going to AHP 3.301 on the Windows 7 machine.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »

You may want to upgrade to 3.306 as that is the latest version of AHP available.  You can get it at http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Billaban

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »

Re: Upgrade to latest AHP.  Agreed.  I did that yesterday.  Along with my collection of macros.

Currently I'm waiting for a 10Amp Filter (new PC is creating too much noise) to arrive and I will verify all is well and then work the migration to Win7. 

Thanks for the input.

Billaban

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »

Wow, that was easy.  No problems, period.  Thanks for the advise.

ggrote

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »

Downloaded and installed 3.306 today onto Win 7 Home Premium machine ... previous system was 3.228 on XP Pro ... was forced into it because my old PC has been relegated to the basement and I needed to update my CM15A for DST ... sickningly simple system (just timing some lights), so I just did a clean install (glad I saved the license key e-mail!) and rebuilt the settings from scratch ... no issues, and the lights turned on tonight exactly on schedule!  Cheers!  >!
"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.