Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lousy GUI for AHP 3.306  (Read 12378 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Lousy GUI for AHP 3.306
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »

Hello all!
  My first post here.  Just bought the CM15a and install sw version 3.305 (I think), then upgraded to 3.306 for both the AHP (main) and Smartmacros.
  I DESPISE the interface!!!!
1) The icons are HUGE and cannot be resized   :-[
2) The font size is HUGE and cannot be changed   :-[
3) on THREE different computers, the mouse scroll wheel does NOT function at all for any window  :-\ :-[  B:(
4) the scroll "handle" to move the list for changing rooms in the macro designer does NOT work (only the UP/DOWN arrow buttons, but does work in the main macro window   :-[   B:(
5) There is NO WAY to sort the order of rooms/macros/timers in the tree view, even though the mouse cursor changes to a hand like you could drag and drop to a new location... doesn't work!!!   :-\ :-\
  Every once in a while, when a menu item is selected (like File/New), the particular drop down will not go away, even if an item (like NEW) is clicked, and nothing happens either.  I have to exit and restart AHP.   :-[ :-[
  These are big bugs that should have been taken care of.     ::) ::) ::) :-[
  I also have the crashing problem and have tried the x10net service hack (change the log on setting to my uid with password, rather than system).  The problem I was having is that I could download to the interface once, then when I tried again, I got the Msoft crash report popup and ahp quit.  After that the only way was to unplug the USB, powerdown the interface (power AND batteries), restart windows, install batteries, AC power, USB... then the cycle would repeat!
  It seems that the x10net hack fixed the problem (I think).  UPDATE.... wrong... still crashes!  Will try the earlier version after complete uninstall.
  I have been an x10'er since they first came out with my first starter kit (about 78?? with ONE maxi controller and three dark brown dimmer modules sold at Perry Truman ( no longer around) under the BSR name, then a CP290 (still have), then the CM11 (yech), then Smarthome 1132CUP (non insteon) VERY bad support!!!).  I DO know X10.
  I haven't gone X10 crazy because of the reliabillity issues, but recently built the XTBM monitor after "suffering" with a high pass filter and scope... THIS IS A VERY USEFUL INSTRUMENT!!!!  GET ONE IF YOU NEED TO TROUBLESHOOT X10!!!  #:) :)%
  If anyone has a hint about the crashing, text, icon, scroll wheel problems, PLEASE give a clue!
Thanks to ALL that contribute!
Bill

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Lousy GUI for AHP 3.306
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »

You state your a long time X10er.
Is it possible you have the x10 AHSDK installed? If so that needs to be updated.
 >! 
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pomonabill221

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »

I haven't installed the SDK yet.... Only on one of my computers.
How do I uninstall the SDK?  Do I have to uninstall the SHP software as well?  (NO problem!)
Thanks!
Yes I am a long time X10er'!
I also read somewhere here that adding a few decoupling caps (.01 in parallel to c11,c12,u2 pin 1 to 8, and u1 pin 6 to 11) would help on reliability.  These sound like ps decoupling.  My Cm15A has a date code of 10L49.  I am looking into adding them, IF none exist on my interface.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:58:25 PM by pomonabill221 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »

Let us know what you find. If you decide to open up your CM15A.
X10 has been updating modules and using completely different components.
My latest 2008 CM15A still matches my original one component wise.
Maybe the date code 2010 ones have been updated.

I know the lamp modules, appliance modules, TM751 and PH508 are completely different between the older and later ones. Just wondering if the CM15A was also updated.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:43:14 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »

You Don't need to Uninstall the SDK!
Just make sure it is the latest version if you have installed it after Jan this year you likely have the latest.
How ever if you wish to uninstall I don't believe it comes with a uninstaller.
You'll need to delete the AHSDK folder stop the X10.nets and then delete the x10 common folder in the program files\common files folder this however will stop AHP from working and it will need to be reinstalled.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pomonabill221

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

Brian H;
  I did open the CM15 and there were NO decoupling caps, so I added the four that is mentioned.  It should have been a no-brainer to have the caps!!!  The data sheets always have small caps on the input and output of the regulator, and digital logic is always decoupled... should have been a given!!!  and ALWAYS use the shortest leads possible!!!!  The higher the frequency (noise wise anyway), the more a long wire/trace looks like an inductor and NOT a wire so short short short lengths are a MUST!!!  :o
  How have the TM751 changed?  Did they change to surface mount?  Use a SAW filter instead of the LC?  Use a different receiver (for the RF?)  Do the new TM751's have collision avoidance now?  I heard that the old one's dont but the RR501 do?

TUICEMAN:
  Turns out I did not install the SDK on any of my machines, just downloaded it.  I wound up uninstalling, stopping the service, deleted remaining files/folders, pruned the registry, and reinstalled 3.305.  I still had a couple of crashes on download.  :P
  I looked at all my macros and they seemed to be valid.  For now though, it appears to be working ok with multilple changes, then saving, then downloading with no crashes!  :D
  Don't know what I did (or what AHP decided to do), but now.....
  I have a macro that turns on a recirc pump for 10 minutes and is triggered by 3 time events, or a manual H/U code.  P12 is the trigger, G16 ON, delay 10 minutes, G16 off...  REAL SIMPLE!!!!
  Strange thing is (it used to run ok), I am using the XTBM and when I start the macro, the XTBM displays "P16 Pon... Gxx <---- is the NOT right!!!    It does display G16 Goff when the macro times out though!!!  REAL strange!
  I change the unit code for the macro and I still get the Gxx for the on command.
  SOOOO....  I powered the thing down, and removed the batteries for MINUTES and it now works!  VERY STRANGE!!!  B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »

Kind of a mixture of through hole and surface mount for the newer TM751.
The controller is now surface mounted on the solder side.
The RF Receiver Daughter Board uses the same Himark RX3310A receiver chip as the CM15A.  Looks like LC tuned.

Compared to my older RR501 and CM15A. The new one does have a better RF range.

No the TM751 still is the same. No power line receiver. Not polite and only controlled by RF.

I only got the TM751 as a part of a AHP deal. The one with the CM19A interface. I only wanted the CM19A and the package was very cheap compared to the CM19A alone. Guess I could have used a third party EBay seller. They seem to be reasonable.

I do have one RR501 in use. One that I rebuilt the power supply after it got flaky.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:46:12 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

Brian H;
  I did open the CM15 and there were NO decoupling caps, so I added the four that is mentioned.  It should have been a no-brainer to have the caps!!! 
That would have increased parts cost by eight cents, you big silly!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

pomonabill221

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »

Dave W...
  Whelll... excuuuussse ME!   rofl rofl rofl
  Geezze, a whole EIGHT cents!!!  (IF that!).  And no telling WHAT the reliability would be with the caps!!!
Too soon to tell if the added caps do anything, but I hazard a guess that it will probably perform better?!?!  Only time will tell (hehe ahah hoho... time will tell !?!?!  get it get it???). rofl rofl

Brian H...
   hhmmm.... too bad they didn't make it polite like the RR501!  that with the addition of all 16 unit codes, and transmitting on/off when using the local button, would make this transceiver a JEWEL!...  oh well I am going to try using the CM15A as my only receiver, with the antenna mod, and see if it will work for RF "access point" alone.
  The only "transmitted" RF is to my Ninja Pan and Tilts, although I would need to use the IWatch, and it complains if it cannot find a VA11/12 interface (which I don't have at the moment, and don't plan to use with all the "problems" that others are having, and the resource hog that it seems to be).
  Anyone else have these problems with the VA12?  Is it really all that bad?
  Is there a way to control the P&T's with JUST smartmacros and AHP?
  I am using a different camera mounted to the P&T's, and camera software (server) to handle the video.
  As far as the CM15A, I believe it DOES have "politeness" as far as it's RF section.  Ture?  AND all 256 codes to boot!  If it does NOT have the range that I need, I will use a RR501 as a fringe transceiver.  We'll see!

Thanks for the help... Anyone know about my grips about the fonts, mouse scrolling, and icon sizes?  It really bugs me!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:20:38 AM by pomonabill221 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »

Dave W...
  Whelll... excuuuussse ME!   rofl rofl rofl
  Geezze, a whole EIGHT cents!!!  (IF that!).  And no telling WHAT the reliability would be with the caps!!!
Too soon to tell if the added caps do anything, but I hazard a guess that it will probably perform better?!?!  Only time will tell (hehe ahah hoho... time will tell !?!?!  get it get it???). rofl rofl

"time will tell" OK I deserve that.
[steps on soapbox]
As far as the bypass caps...yeah, why do they do that? It makes no sense. Also IMHO unused chip input pins should be tried high or low, but X10 just lets them float...why? Only reason I can come up with is it reduces the complexity of the PC board and saves copper. But it can create unstable operation. I just think X10 shoots themselves in the foot trying to save a penny here or a penny there which is foolish, especially where their niche products are not well known and must rely on word of mouth.

pomonabill221

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:08 AM »

Yes, I guess so!
  When I was in the CM15a, there were several pins on the uP that were floating (NO copper)!
  I am going to look up the chip to see what these pins are, an see if adding a 10k pullup (or down, depending on what the pin does), will "help".
  I will let you know what I find out.
Bill

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

I will let you know what I find out.
Bill
Great, thanks.
It's just too bad that the customer has to re-engineer.
I love hacking to make it do something not intended, but hacking to make it work reliably is poo-poo, pee-pee, caa-caa. (A little known technical term denoting questionable quality).

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »

Maybe they should have a "customer advisory board" for new hardware products. Make them sign a non-disclosure agreement, and let them look at the schematics and/or the hardware itself. I wonder if they might have changed the design had they gotten the "Hey - if you add 4 capacitors in these 4 spots, it will work that much better" feedback while they still had time to make the changes easily.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »

Decoupling caps should be a part of every electronic design.
It is a basic every Electronic Technician and Engineer is taught in electronics school.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »

Decoupling caps should be a part of every electronic design.
It is a basic every Electronic Technician and Engineer is taught in electronics school.
Maybe the engineer who designed the CM15A was absent the day they taught that ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.