Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wonder about wireless cams used outdoors, what is temperature rating, etc.  (Read 5338 times)

IvannaSeeMore

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,
I have 2 x10 wireless cam systems set up in the home. Due to some problems with a neighbor, throwing light cigerattes and such over the fence, the only way I can prove what is happening is to catch them on video recording. I have a couple of cams aimed towards the outside in window sills. But the angle is not always great, and we get problems with the windows frosting up, if it gets really cold.
I have a total of 7 cams, 5 b/w indoor/outdoor cams, and 2 color ones on ninja tilt bases. One system goes to the television (with a built in vhs recorder) with 4 cams on it. The other system is the Vanguard one on an XP computer, with 3 cams on it. I bought these cams back in 2007-2008, to monitor the home inside at the time, They've been in the boxes a few years now. Due to the problem with the neighbor lately, I hauled them out again. Other than the odd "lines" and interferance, with the microwave oven. I get pretty good reception. I just wish I had the audio receiver, the video receiver is just a video one.

It is really troublesome, because the neighbor's teens are throwing light cigerattes and today I found a book of all burnt matches and what appears to be a drug pipe of some sort, that they toss over the fence to our side. WE are not on speaking terms with the adults of the house, they have the attitude that their "angels' would not do such a thing. So you can see my circumstance. We tried once to complain to the city, who said cause the cigerattes were lite, that they'd send over a by-law officer. The only result we got was the by-law officer saying, we'd have to catch them in the act of it, aka meaning caught on video. Without video proof, they could just deny it was them etc.  I'm really worried about them starting a fire. I smoke outside myself. But I'm always careful, and put them out in a sand ashtray. I worry the neighbor's teens will start a fire, by tossing the lite cigerattes over the fence, and then try to blame me.

Sorry about the rant, perhaps some of you can see my circumstance and understand my concerns.

We are up in Canada. Alberta area. I'd love to put a cam outside where I can angle it to catch what is happening on "both" sides of the fence. Our temperatures up here can hit, minus 30C or minus22 F some winter days/nights . I keep the backyard and side of home pretty lite up with outdoor low-wattage light sets etc.
I thought of trying to put a cam in a bird house with the lens peeking out of the birdie hole, as a means of somewhat protecting it from wind, snow etc.

If anyone has some ideas, or knowledge on temperature ratings of the cams, I'd really appreciate the input.

Otherwise, I'd like to say, that my husband has finally seen the value of having these cams in the home. And we are for the most part very pleased with the products.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

If anyone has some ideas, or knowledge on temperature ratings of the cams, I'd really appreciate the input.
The cameras do not have any motors in them (i.e. fixed focus, fixed aperture) so should work in the cold, but you may have problems with a pan and tilt device like the Ninja. Why don't you try one of your existing cameras?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

captainjerky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I live in Wisconsin and have 2 cameras outside.  This was their first winter, but I never had temperature related reception issues.  They always started right up and provided an instant picture.  Reception was unaffected by temperature as well. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

.... Due to some problems with a neighbor, throwing light cigerattes and such over the fence, the only way I can prove what is happening is to catch them on video recording. It is really troublesome, because the neighbor's teens are throwing light cigerattes and today I found a book of all burnt matches and what appears to be a drug pipe of some sort, that they toss over the fence to our side. WE are not on speaking terms with the adults of the house, they have the attitude that their "angels' would not do such a thing. So you can see my circumstance.
We are up in Canada. Alberta area. I thought of trying to put a cam in a bird house with the lens peeking out of the birdie hole, as a means of somewhat protecting it from wind, snow etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice or input.
The X10 cameras are tough little work horses... they do well in weather... and hide well in bird houses too. I don't know the laws around Alberta... hope your recording plans are legal. I can't even imagine how pointing a camera at someone's propriety could be legal... I know it's not moral.

I live in Ohio. Here it's recommended we befriend and get along with our neighbors. I've never heard of even ONE single time... that video recording a neighbor... made anything better. I guess you don't invite those neighbors to your party's or have them over for cake and coffee. But I'd work a little bit at the social part rather than at the amateur detective part.

Of course sometimes doing the right thing can be like wearing depends. You might get a warm feeling... but no one else notices.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:16:20 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.