Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding camera screwed up everything  (Read 6348 times)

captainjerky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Adding camera screwed up everything
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »

Hello all-

You know, just when I thought I had a handle on this X10 stuff, I had to get greedy.  I had a working 3 cam system (X20 b/w night cams) that worked with the AHP Iwatchout plugin and all that stuff.  Everything worked- I recorded snapshots, set up my phone to watch my cameras, etc.
So I ordered another camera to toss on the ninja base I got free a while ago.  Plug in the new cam, and of course just static.  I reboot, put the cam right next to wireless receiver, unplug/plug in VA12 USB wireless receiver, etc, and by the time its done, none of the cams are getting a signal through.  Oh, they work, I just get the meaningless static.  I tried reinstalling the VA12 driver off the X10 site, still no dice. 
Any suggestions other than reinstalling everything?  If it comes to that, I'm done, I just don't have to free time to start over.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Adding camera screwed up everything
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

Do the original three work if the forth is not connected?
Cameras default to ON so if you didn't turn it off by selecting another camera or directly.
It could be steeping on the others.
It is in the same Unit Group as the other three and on the same House Code.
Is the transmit channel switch set to the same frequency as the other three?

captainjerky

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »

Original three worked, with the fourth just giving static.  I tried to force the system to find the camera by rebooting the computer, then turning off the VR-36A. After that, all I got was the thick static lines which always seem to mean the signal is getting through, but not displaying right.  I can switch cameras- they're not stepping on each other or anything.  Basically, my system is working perfectly with all 4 cameras except for the fact that the signal is garbage.  I have them on codes G-1 through G-4.  They switch fine and are all on the same camera/receiver channels.
I've tried several versions of the VA12 driver, in addition to reloading the Iwatchmobile Pro module.  After the original Iwatchmobile Pro install, everything worked perfectly, so I figured this would fix it.  No dice.  Any suggestions?

captainjerky

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »

Alright, I got my camera reception issues fixed thanks to another poster on a different topic.  I unplugged the VA36 Wireless Camera Receiver from the wall, waited, then plugged it back in and voila, the camera images are back.  That's twisted, because simply using the switch the turn the thing off is what sent my whole system into chaos, but physically unplugging the thing from the outlet fixed it.  Both methods cycle power, but I guess it needed a hard reboot.
Now, can anyone offer some suggestions why my fourth camera isn't working?  My other three are G-1 through G-3 and are part of macros, and when I access the fourth (at G-4), I get static, so AHP knows the camera's there and on, but no picture.  Do I have to add the module in a special magical order or plug it in right next to the receiver first?  I tried troubleshooting by plugging it in right across the bench from the VA36, but no luck.  Anyone with advice for adding that fourth cam to my setup is desperately needed!

Thanks for the help so far!

Ryan

GMAN

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:32:42 PM »

Just a thought...

Using the correct power supply for powering a Ninja base and Cam?

If I am correct  XM13A Camera only

XM14A Ninja Base w. Camera

captainjerky

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »

Yeah, I used the higher rated one (which was the same plastic color) for the ninja base, plus I tried the camera separately with the lower rated power supply.  I did notice that the ninja power supply got quite hot.  Will try again tonight...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.