Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CP290 DOS Software  (Read 11151 times)

TwinCreeks

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CP290 DOS Software
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »

Just in case anybody is interested I have some really good third-party DOS software for the CP290.   It is "XA X10 Command Interpreter, Version 3.0, January 1995," by Bruce Christensen.  Also there is a 70 page instruction/reference manual that goes along with it. 

I have been unable to track Christensen down for several years, so I guess he is out of the business. However, you can still download version 2.1 of XA from http://www.dtweed.com/circuitcellar/ftp_area/areahom2.html along with some other DOS/ based X10 software

The XA software has great IF-THEN logic and a number of other features, including a "restore to previous state" after power  outage.

If you are interested in version 3.0, contact me. Also, I think I still have the original X10 software that was included with the CP290.

XA - X10 COMMAND INTERPRETER - VERSION 2.1
Send X10 commands/events to CP-290 directly
from DOS prompt, batch file, or script file.
Supports all COM ports (IRQ's not required).
Includes DEMO program for new users.
Features: POWERFAIL RECOVERY - restores all
modules to last programmed state, expanded
DATE handling, SUNRISE/SET calcs, automatic
Daylight Savings adjustments, clock synch,
report generator, event monitor/logger.
Registration enables additional features.

By the way, I have been using X10 since the early 1970s.  I still use an original Ultrasonic Command Console and several of the brown colored modules. I have also been using the CP290  for the past 20 years. Currently, it is running on a dedicated IBM 386 PC DOS 6.2 (circa 1988--they built them for a nuclear attack in those days).  It does a fine job running my house, including water heater, outdoor lighting, irrigation system, and lighting, draperies/blinds,  etc.  I did give up on the TW523, though.

I also have a CM 11 on my Windows 7 machine that I used for direct control from my desktop, and for its macro capabilities. And at my bedside I use a ControLinc Maxi 4071.  I use a lot of occupancy/motion detectors linked into my X10 system. I had to add a filter when I bought my 52 inch flat screen

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: CP290 DOS Software
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »

I suspect you may be the only one still using a CP290 for anything.  As Windows 7 takes over much of  the PC world, DOS is vanishing. In Windows XP it's called a "Command Prompt".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

Just in case anybody is interested I have some really good third-party DOS software for the CP290.   from DOS prompt, batch file, or script file.

Honerable sir, we hereby bequeath the title of "Ancient X10 Dude" to you. Neal so we might whack your shoulders with the sword of X10.   ;)

Dan might be right about you perhaps having the last working CP290. I had at least two CP290 go south on me with power supply failures. By that time the CM11A was released which allowed for two way communications with PC so I never tried fixing the CP290s.

Do you have a working ultrasonic remote to go with the Ultrasonic Command Console?

Somewhere in the bowels of the forum there are pictures from "TTA" which has many of the old BSR branded X10 goodies.

However you might check the calibration on your "Way Back Machine". BSR X10 did not hit the streets until 1978. It evolved from the electronics control system Pico Electronics developed for the BSR AccuTrac Turntable in 1975-1976.

Practically all of my old BSR stuff has failed, the caps in those reactive power supplies do not have the life of a good ole transformer. Wish I would have kept a few modules for nostalgia.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »

The way I understand it, the accutrak was project X9.  ;)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

TwinCreeks

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

{quote] I had at least two CP290 go south on me with power supply failures. By that time the CM11A was released which allowed for two way communications with PC so I never tried fixing the CP290s.

Do you have a working ultrasonic remote to go with the Ultrasonic Command Console?

Practically all of my old BSR stuff has failed, the caps in those reactive power supplies do not have the life of a good ole transformer. Wish I would have kept a few modules for nostalgia.
[/quote]

Your observations are on target.  I have been waiting the CP290 to fail for at least  five years now. I have heard about the failure problems with them. So far it just keeps on going and going . . .  I picked up a spare on eBay some years ago, but it has been sitting in the closet awaiting its call to duty.  I also keep wondering when the IBM PC is going to finally give up on me. I haven't even had to install a new BIOS battery in the 20+ years it has been alive. 

The PC is on an appliance module which the CP290 turns on once a day. Then, the PC, through the autoexec.bat file, runs XA to update the CP290, and then turns itself off. Takes about 3 minutes. By running it once a day, it keeps the dusk/dawn calculated times right on the money. The CP290 is notorious for it inability to keep accurate time.

And, as a matter of fact, I do have two ultrasonic remotes.  And they still work.  But I have put them aside in favor of RF remote controls.  The ultrasonic command consoles I am still using will occasionally respond to keys jangling or pots and pans being used in the kitchen. 

I still have a couple of BSR products around--16 unit command consoles, I think.  I also have a Regency ("Regulator") hardwired X10 electric water heater module  and a couple of Regency Regulator modules. (By the way Regency manufactured the very first transistor radio.) I also have a  Nutone RF X10 controller and a Rain 8 X10 irrigation controller. (I got rid of the GE branded home control unit 20 years ago before personal computers, after two failures. I was told that the failure problem was with the microchip. I can't even remember what it was called. I think it was also sold by Radio Shack.)  I also have several Leviton products as well.

I do have to note the quality improvements in X10 products over the past 10+ years. I had many of the original lamp modules go south on me, particularly when a bulb burned out. And the original appliance modules seemed prone to fail with power line surges.

Originally, my gas fired furnace was X10 controlled, but when I switched to a heat pump, daily control of temperature settings did not make much sense.  Now, I may manually adjust the thermostat 4 times a year or so for maximum comfort and efficiency. 

I am slowly gravitating to Insteon modules as the need arises.

All in all I am a happy camper and have been since '72.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »

I still have a couple of BSR products around--16 unit command consoles, I think.  I also have a Regency ("Regulator") hardwired X10 electric water heater module  and a couple of Regency Regulator modules. (By the way Regency manufactured the very first transistor radio.) I also have a  Nutone RF X10 controller and (I got rid of the GE branded home control unit 20 years ago before personal computers, after two failures. I was told that the failure problem was with the microchip. I can't even remember what it was called. I think it was also sold by Radio Shack.) 
Please sit down...are you ready? I still have a few Regulator Lamp Module and Appliance Modules. Large rectangular boxes with a total of four address dials for 100 house codes and 100 unit codes. Did you have the Regulator Timer? Did you get the System from "DAK"? I also had the Nutone controller with a steroid-ed up "Palm Pad" with 16 ON-OFF buttons. How about the Leviton Telephone Responder that could send all 256 house codes/unit codes from touch tone input?  And yes I had the GE "Home Minder" also, which connected to the TV. Originally GE sold these at (I think) $500 to $1200 bucks a system. Sort of a "Kirby Vacuum", "Amway" marketing scheme.

All manufactured by X10 in Singapore and branded GE. The Home Minder modules were the same as the old two board BSR modules but beige in color. I believe the frequent problem was with the large scale video chip which had a heat problem. GE got burned pretty bad and unloaded thousands of unsold units to Radio Shack who dumped the Home Minder unit for $29.95, figuring they would generate sales of their own Plug-N-Power modules.

BTW what did you use to control your old gas furnace, the X10 Thermostat Controller which mounted under the existing thermostat?

Wow! your recollections fired my one remaining neurons to bring some of my own memories. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:02:54 PM by dave w »

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:16 AM »

Dave, Do you offer guided tours of your museum?  :D

TwinCreeks

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »

Home automation and remote control, as envisioned in the 1980-90s, never really took off. I think part of the problem is that automation is less convenient than the alternative. It really is not adaptable to a family oriented living unit. Big companies such as GE and IBM got into the business and out of it relatively quickly. And a bunch of smaller companies tired to join in as well.  I really never needed a PC to control my refrigerator. 

I do believe I purchased the Regulator modules from DAK.  I never had the Regulator timer.  I still have two telephone interface units that are looking for a purpose in my life.  I suppose if I had a cabin in the woods somewhere (with a phone line, of course), they might be useful. 

For the gas-fired furnace, indeed I did use the X10 thermostat controller. (I still have it.)  It took a bit of tweaking to get the settings just right.  But it worked fine for me in the heating and cooling seasons. I suppose I could have just as easily purchased a mechanical timer set back thermostat that were available. (Now they are electronic.)

For me, the primary advantage of the X10 system is multiple location remote control, rather than automation.  If the lawn irrigation system is on, and I need to let the dog out, I can turn it off at the back door or front door, or garage, or even bedroom. Secondary for me, is light dimming, scene setting. Thirdly for me are occupancy sensor light controls.

By the way, after leaving the TV on downstairs for the nth time, I hooked up the X10 IR remote transmitter. Now if I can turn it off (and on) from the bedroom upstairs.

The best home automation is still, and will  forever be, a full-time maid, butler and chauffeur.  Sigh. . .

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

Dave, Do you offer guided tours of your museum?  :D
Sure, the muesum is three "banker boxes" full in basement. Admission is free.

Fan of Zappa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

I also dug deep into my old X10 box of goodies after purchasing AHP and CM15A less than a month ago. I still have my CP290! Although I have not used it in years. Thanks for bringing back the memories of the XA program! It was very advanced for its time. I enjoyed programing with it back then. But, what to do with it now? Maybe run all your timers from the CP290 to save more memory for macros in the CM15A? Who knows.

Bob
Fan of Zappa - His music was way before it's time and died way before his time!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »

Sure, the museum is three "banker boxes" full in basement. Admission is free.

Wow, so small...  Ours is the better part of 100 boxes that haven't been unpacked since our last move.  Unfortunately, even though the boxes are labeled, they don't list every item.  So sometimes it is quite a hunting expedition to find something.

Oh, I've got one of those Leviton telephone transponders too.  No Home Minder stuff though.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »

Sure, the museum is three "banker boxes" full in basement. Admission is free.

Wow, so small...  Ours is the better part of 100 boxes that haven't been unpacked since our last move. 
! 100  boxes?!    :o

Jeff you need to start selling your inventory, that's probably from back in the days when X10 had better process controls. i.e. "the good stuff".

leo_keil

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »

After about 20 years, I'm afraid my CP-290 system running Bruce Christensen's XA - X10 Command Interpreter version 01.06 has failed. For the last year, it's been running on a Windows 7 PC. I had to install DOSBox v0.74 to run the software under Windows 7 and use a USB to serial port adapter to hook up the CP-290.

I'd like to replace the CP-290 with an  Activehome Pro CM15A. Is there any software that will let load a command file to the CM15Ain a way similar to the way Bruce Christensen's XA lets me load the CP-290?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:19:25 AM by leo_keil »

jfcl

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

My, my.  My CP-290 is still running fine as it has for 25+ years.

I'm using command line software I wrote and distributed around 1990 called x10com.  I currently run it on Windows 7 and Raspberry Pi, but it also will run on the DEC Rainbow, VAX/VMS, RT-11, Cygwin, WIndows 10, and other unix systems.  It has sunrise/sunset offsets and stores all the info in the CP-290 so don't need to keep the current state on any particular computer.

I also have a CM11A, CM15A, and a firecracker, but I never got around to finishing the interface code for them.  So they sit in the big box of X-10 modules in my laboratory (also known as a basement).

The only problem I've had with the CP-290 over the years is getting RS-232-spec serial ports.  A lot of the junk that is out there doesn't have the -ve voltage needed to meet spec.

If you want the x10com sources, let me know and I'd be glad to share them!
                --tom

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.