Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SC1200 Annoying background sound while chiming  (Read 12351 times)

kenwmitchell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SC1200 Annoying background sound while chiming
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

I have a SC1200 that I bough about 4 weeks ago. It sounded normal for a couple of weeks. Then, after I triggered the alarm to test a new Powerhorn, it started making a background noise while chiming (or even during siren). It is almost like a loud dial tone in the background. It starts with the first chime and lasts until the last. So it persists through an entire exit delay for instance. Seems to be operating normal other than that. I removed all power and phone, then replugged sans POTS with no effect. Any ideas?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SC1200 Annoying background sound while chiming
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:31:57 PM »

Have not seen an answer but you are not the first one reporting strange background sounds. After a while of normal operation.

vlong

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

I had the same problem on both SC1200s its happen when sound go off and disarm the unit. But if i arm and tipped sensor again then disarm sometime the sound back to normal don't know why maybe something to do with timing i hate intermitten problem. By diconnect power and remove battery will fix the problem.

ROBERTH

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »

Have not seen an answer but you are not the first one reporting strange background sounds. After a while of normal operation.

Hello kenwmitchell ... I had this same issue with my Sc1200 but eventually mine had issues also with the sensors as well as other problems.  I had to send mine back to X10 to get a replacement. It looks like a batch of the new SC1200 have some issues that cannot be fixed.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »

I was doing some tests this morning and also got the loud background sound.  ???  ::)

oneadvent

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »

I had this problem when my buddy brought over his DC700 to test some wireless sensors. As soon as both of them were running I got that background noise. I completely unplugged it and it did not fix the issue, so I did a factory reset and it seemed to. Maybe it is a frequency issue or something?

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »

Today the background "sound" appeared on my sc1200 system after 1 week in operation.  The "feedback/background" sound is present when chiming, when exiting delay via ARM AWAY and when the alarm gets triggered.  Doing a master reset did not fix it.  I had to unplug and take out the backup batteries.  That seems to have the cleared the problem for now.  Next time I will remove the power and backup batteries first to if this would fix it immediately. 

Prior to the problem sound I was in middle of testing a new powerhorn PH508 and changed the house code.  As part of my attempt to fix this problem, I immediately restored the original default housecode and unplugged the power horn with no success. 
Don't know if this additional piece of information was related to the problem at hand.

pseeker

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »

Background sound came back to my unit yesterday.  It eventually "fixed" itself without my help.  However I was testing the remote access  via dedicated magicjack voip line and it will NOT work... The phone picks up and you hear feedback sound on the phone and it will not respond to phone keypad entries.    The sc1 200 immediately started dialing "5" on magicjack dialpad.   I triggered the panic, it did respond with an alarm and but kept on dialing 5s.   

I repeated this test two times and saw the same results.I guess with my particular sc1200 and in this background noise state, you won;t have a usable phone feature: auto dial and remote access.  I have replacement sc1200 that I will swap in this weekend.

jlyndonbrown

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »

As suggested in an earlier post, I was able to clear the annoying background noise by removing the SC1200 power sources, both batteries and AC, for about 15 seconds. My unit had been working flawlessly for months when the noise suddenly occurred and I have no clue as to the cause.

pseeker

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »

I'm on my 3rd Sc1200.  Its been rock solid in 3 months. First two had the funny noises among other problems.  Suggest you do the same via RMA if it comes up again.

aptalca

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »

I don't know if it helps, but I had that happen to me once when I. . .

accidentally tripped the alarm, and then disarmed it using the keyfob while it was just starting to dial out.

So it got stuck while it was dialing the first number "1"

It seemed to work except for the weird sound when armed and disarmed.

But checking the voip records showed that while I had the background sound, the SC1200 constantly kept dialing 1...1...1...1...1...1...1...1...

until I unplugged it and removed the batteries for 10 seconds, then everything went back to normal. I have not had that issue again (it's been about a month since then)

***UPDATE***

I accidentally tripped the alarm again earlier today. It took me several seconds to get to the kr32 to disarm. When I did, I got the weird chime.(Power cycle with the batteries and ac fixed it) I can confirm that it happens when I disarm from kr32's right when it's dialing a number. If I disarm right away or within a second or two, it doesn't happen. Probably because I disarm before it starts dialing.

It is clearly a bug with the system, but for me the powercycle fixes it every time. The only annoyance is having to reset the clock afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:41:02 PM by aptalca »

piper

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »

Thanks for the information about the chime noise.  I installed today, and after multiple tests I got the same noise during chime.  I unplugged and pulled the batteries.....and problem solved, at least til next time.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.