Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non invasive monitoring  (Read 5888 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Non invasive monitoring
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »

FWIW
I stumbled across some interesting DIY ideas on Cocoon Tech.

A user who wanted to monitor the operation of the new high efficency washing machine without voiding the warrenty,  ended up attaching a cadmium sulfide cell over the washing machines "Status" LED http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062590 . The output of the Cds cell was tied to an ELK system, however another Cocooner confirmed that the Cds could be used to trigger a Power Flash. If it works on the Power Flash it should also work on DS10s or DS12s. I wonder if a red LED will drop the Cds cell resistance low enough to trigger the Power Flash,  so experiments follow.

Even better, another user suggested attaching extension wires to the Cds cell in a xxxxEye motion sensor and using the "Light - Dark" transmissions to inform a home automation system the status of anything where a LED or pilot light indicated the pertinent information.

Very "thoughty" ideas worth passing on... I thought. (I'm sorry, that was bad wasn't it?)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Non invasive monitoring
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »

hmmmmm, a photo cell duct taped to the main consol of the washing machine.  When I turn up in the hospital with a cast iron skillet shaped lump in my skull, you'll know the WAF wasn't that great.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »

I missed that one.
I did see the one where they used a current sensor to signal when an appliance was complete and the power turned off.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »

hmmmmm, a photo cell duct taped to the main consol of the washing machine.  When I turn up in the hospital with a cast iron skillet shaped lump in my skull, you'll know the WAF wasn't that great.

rofl

I didn't say it was pretty. For WAF improvement I think you should use package sealing tape...that way you can see the status light through the clear tape.

(Maintaining a straight face, he continues the dialog)

Now I REALLY liked the idea of remoting the Cds cell from a motion sensor. I am going to that for all our wall switch controlled CFL fixtures with nightlights across the socket. That way I will know when the night light burns out...  :'
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:30:22 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.