Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Component Prices  (Read 28322 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Component Prices
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »

I went to place an order for another batch of transformers for the backlit XTBM and forthcoming XTBM pro.  The Digikey price jumped from $8.53 each to $18.07 in unit quantity since February.  Obviously, the price comes down at higher quantities ($11.89 at 25 pieces), but the price has still more than doubled.  When I contacted Signal Transformer directly about the huge price increase, they said they had received another report of very high prices at Digikey, and that the transformers could be bought directly from Signal for a much lower price.

I have been seeing similar price increases on some other components.  The IRL630A has been discontinued by Fairchild.  They were $.87 each.  The least expensive IRL630 stocked by Mouser is $2.28, and its specifications aren’t quite as good as the discontinued Fairchild part.  Fortunately, I made a major purchase while the Fairchild part was still available, so my stock is OK for now.

Some of the capacitors have almost doubled in price over the last year.  I know the value of the dollar has been falling and the cost of raw materials is going up, but price increases like this are more than I expected.

Update:  Further communication between Signal and Digikey identified their price as being incorrect, and it is being adjusted to the same as purchasing directly from Signal.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:36:46 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Component Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »

With all the distruction in Japan. I expect to see other parts made there scarce or at a much higher price.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »

Don't know about the electronics supply chain, but here in the world of construction, we've received notice that when diesel hit $4.50/gallon our supplies are going up 28%.  I imagine that something similar is going on in other fields.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »

Boy, did this thread ever get hijacked...

Jeff

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »

not Jeff.

I hijacked this thread, and the corn thing was all me.  I since deleted said post to get this thread back on track.

I humbly implore the forgiveness of all involved.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »

I since deleted said post to get this thread back on track.

Well if you think that will somehow help or please Jeff.... I happily did the same.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »

I've been doing this XTB stuff for 5 years.  Except for the first year when I adjusted for kits being priced under my actual cost, prices have been stable.  Over that period some component prices have been inching up, but usually less than ten percent at a time.

What made me start this thread was the fact that the price of the power transformer had more than doubled.  Later that turned out to be an error by the distributor, but several other components have also doubled in cost over the last year.  And one component ordered last summer is still on backorder with no firm delivery date.

When I designed these devices, all components were readily available stock items at Mouser or Digikey.  Now some are being discontinued, and many are on backorder.  It is a challenge to maintain an adequate inventory to produce these units.  I'm sure other manufacturers are facing the same issues.

Update:  Just got a projected shipping date on that backordered component for mid-July.  And the factory lead time is now 92 weeks.  Wow!

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:37:21 AM by JeffVolp »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »

Jeff,

I've noticed a similar increase in prices as well as an increased number of part numbers being discontinued. I've been out-of-action for over a year due to health issues and was really surprised by some of the changes.

My guess is that distributors like Mouser and Digikey are seeing a big drop in business due to the worldwide economic downturn and are trying to compensate for it.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »

......... seeing a big drop in business due to the worldwide economic downturn and are trying to compensate for it.

I had nothing to do with that post Jeff.  rofl

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »

My guess is that distributors like Mouser and Digikey are seeing a big drop in business due to the worldwide economic downturn and are trying to compensate for it.

Hi Dave,

Good to see a post from you...

That could be a factor even at the manufacturer level.  And the rising cost of copper and other raw materials is probably also rippling into the price of the components.

You may have noticed that the inventory isn't as deep at the suppliers as it was a couple years ago.  Mouser had been excellent, but now I often see a couple of backorders on a typical order.   And with some lead times being a year or more, I worry about supply problems.

Jeff

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »

..... I worry about supply problems.
Me too.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »

More supply problems...

The big honking inductor in the XTB-IIR went from $2.22 at my last order to $5.22 at 100 pieces, and when the inventory is gone, they will be special order only (500 pieces minimum!)  I can't find stock elsewhere or an equivalent that will fit, so this may force another PCB change.

I'm only beginning the ordering process, and I wonder how many other surprises await...

At least my order of .22uF line-rated capacitors ordered last summer were finally delivered.

Update:  I just found out that Polycase raised their prices and now has a 100 piece minimum for the light colored cases used for the XTB, XTBR, and pending XTB-232.

I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on the 232 due to component issues.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:35:12 AM by JeffVolp »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

Sorry to read about the supply problems.
I honestly don't see much getting better these days.
Guess it is who is doing the information spinning.  ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »

I honestly don't see much getting better these days.
Yeah.  I think we need to fasten seat belts because it's going to get real bumpy.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »

Boy, am I glad I got my XTB-IIR LAST summer!  ;)

Jeff - Good luck with the component search. You sure know a lot more about this than I do, so I really have no helpful advice to offer. sorry.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.