Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Play a mp3 file or CD via smart macro windows program?  (Read 6555 times)

shaniebanannie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Play a mp3 file or CD via smart macro windows program?
« on: April 11, 2011, 03:28:54 AM »

I've been searching high and low on this forum for very simple language of how to program a smart macro to execute windows program to play a mp3 file or CD via smart macro windows program? I have little knowledge of computer lingo and its the only thing I haven't been able to figure out (with lots of how to instruction thanks to this forum) for two weeks now. And what is this argument line and how does this work? I'm so confused! I just want to program the Marco so that if my security alarm goes off, my computer plays this barking dog MP3 (or CD, I have both) and when it's disarmed, that it stops.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Play a mp3 file or CD via smart macro windows program?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

Playing MP3s or CDs is simple with the windows command option.
PC Companion (PCC) will do this as will any media playing program that will accept command line arguments.
You don't state which program your using to play your sound with so it is hard to go into detail as how to set this up.
However If your using PC Companion the setup is like this:
Place the mp3 file into the sounds folder of PCC then you can leave PCC running or close it although sounds will fire quicker if left running.
In AHP create the macro triggered by your specific module you wish.
Add the windows command  and locate the path to PCC.
In the argument line put the name of the file you wish to play followed by the number of times you wish it to repeat eg:
BarkingDog.mp3 6
Hope that helps!
Note: PCC will play your CD or DVD as well though the arguments for that slip my mind at the moment!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shaniebanannie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »

Thank you so much for your help but you lost me here.... Add the windows command  and locate the path to PCC. what's a path and how do i identify it? I wasn't kidding when I said I have little knowledge of computer lingo.

shaniebanannie

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »

Oh and BTW I'll probably run the MP3 using Windows Media Player. But I also have iTunes and Amazon Cloud and probably a few others that have been inadvertantly downloaded. I need to clean my computer up

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »

in AHP when you place the windows command option in the macro click the little button  at the end of the command line that will bring up another window that allows you to find the program (thtas the path) ahp will place that in the command line.
in the arguments line you need to place the info that the program needs to play the specific file.
for PCC it would be the filename and number of repeats.
If you wish to use another program you'll have to find out what you nee to enter there!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shaniebanannie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »

Awesome, thank you!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »

No problem. ;)
If your just looking at playing a sound file you may wish to have a look at the freebie app X10WavPlayer.
Although there are other programs that will do this as well that you can read about in the Thirdparty add-ons and Software section
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.