Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Barn camera recommendations  (Read 6158 times)

rjfoster03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Barn camera recommendations
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »

I want to put up a camera in our wood "barn".  Naturally, there is no power to the barn.  The barn is about 125-150 feet away from the nearest TV and / or computer.  A stationary wide angle, black and white will be fine.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Barn camera recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »

I see you posted this in the "wireless Cameras" section.  How do you plan on powering the camera?  Also, may I assume that no power = no lighting?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »

I want to put up a camera in our wood "barn".  Naturally, there is no power to the barn.  ........... Any suggestions? 

I'd suggest you dig a ditch and run power to that barn. And while your at it run a couple pieces of CAT5 and maybe even a coax as well.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »

Yep Dave and Knight have pretty well summed it up. I might add, X10 cameras are not known for their light sensitivity OR their wireless range. Even the X10 B&W "low light" cams need substantial auxillary lighting at night, and I wonder if an X10 wireless cam can even transmit that far(?).

Running power to the barn is the logical solution, and really the only solution if you are intent on using X10 cameras. But an alternative might be to use a wired IP camera with supplemental IR lighting, over CAT 5. Dave's suggestion of two CAT 5 cable is great advice. I think a single 150 foot run will drop too much power to the cam due to wire resistance. Doubling up the power leads in a single CAT 5 (if you can. If the IP cam has audio, you probably will not have any spares) or paralleling the two CAT 5s may help. You may even need to "goose up" the camera power supply to a higher voltage unit. i.e if the camera supply is 5V DC then you *may* need to go to a 9V DC supply at the house.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:52:09 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rjfoster03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »

I think that I will go with running a trench to the barn and have power to the site.  With this in mind, would anyone have any recommendations as to a camera system?  I don't need audio, but only video.  Any other recommendations as to cables to the computer and / or TV would be helpful.

Rick

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

I think that I will go with running a trench to the barn and have power to the site.  With this in mind, would anyone have any recommendations as to a camera system? 

Once you have power and "wire" to and from the barn.... you can do... just about anything. Read here at the forum daily for good ideas... and information. I myself have a X10 floodlight (PR511) that turns a camera on and then a video switcher displays the image on my TV.

I also use a computer voice warning setup.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.