Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP lights turn on but not off  (Read 11031 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: AHP lights turn on but not off
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »

At least in my house, both the desktop PC and the laptop have filters on them.  My wife's first laptop didn't produce noise, but the second one did, so another filter was bought, the third laptop has the filter. 
Like I said, it can't hurt, but filters might not be needed for EVERY PC. Trial-and-error is really the only way to find out.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »

but filters might not be needed for EVERY PC. Trial-and-error is really the only way to find out.
Very true. I have two desktops and two laptops all running at same time, in same room, which is the X10 gateway. None have filters. Requirement is case by case.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bt54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »

Interesting Noise Stuff

A few related Questions ........................

I have APC Power Battery Backup appliances on all of my electronics.  Should I install XPPFs before the APC's. 

All of my computer and audio equipment are behind the APC's - including my CM15A.  Will the XPPFs work in this scenario? 

Should I move my CM15A to an outlet that is not being used by my pc's?
If it doesn't work get a BIGGER hammer!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »

Interesting Noise Stuff

A few related Questions ........................

I have APC Power Battery Backup appliances on all of my electronics.  Should I install XPPFs before the APC's. 
It can't hurt, but it might not be needed on all of them, depending on the issues you are currently having.

All of my computer and audio equipment are behind the APC's - including my CM15A.  Will the XPPFs work in this scenario? 
The XPPF's will filter out any X10 signals, so your signals won't make it out. Depending on the type of UPS, they may not make it out, anyway.

Definitely. You don't want to block the transmission of PLC signals to and from the CM15A. Even if the signals can make it out past the UPS, they won't make it past the XPPF. Putting the CM15A on an un-filtered outlet, as close to your breaker panel as possible, will give you the best chance for the strongest signal propagation. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:18 PM »

Most UPS create nasty noise when in back-up operation and usually have heavy duty filtering to remove this noise. Unfortunately these filters usually effect the X10 powerline signal, so UPS's tend to be "Signal Suckers".

That said, since X10 powerline signals REQUIRE the power to be present for any signal transmission, there is no reason to put the CM15A behind a UPS.

If utility power isn't present the CM15A does nothing.

As far as plugging into same outlet as computer...results are mixed depending on how clean the computer power supply is and wheter it's built in filtering will "suck out" the X10 command or any generated noise will corrupt the X10 command. My CM15A and my Homeseer interface is plugged into same outlet as three computers, with no ill effects. However we have seen examples where CM15A and computer in same outlet greatly attenuates the CM15A powerline signal. So test it at a different outlet or breaker circuit .
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:19:36 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »

My APC BX1000 UPS will absorb most of my X10 signals if not filtered on its AC Input.
Also my tests show no X10 power line signal will pass from the output side of the UPS back to the power line input.
I would try an unfiltered outlet.
Watch XPPFs. They are rated at five amps but some of us have found pushing them close to five amps. They smell and feel too warm for comfort.
Smarthome makes a nice ten amp one, 1626-10 and it even has a unfiltered AC outlet on the front. I have my controller in the unfiltered outlet and the UPS in the filtered outlet. Act also makes a nice fifteen amp one for heavy loads. AF120.

bt54

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »

Brian - Dave - Noam (in no particular order)  #:)

Thanks for the interesting evaluations.  I guess that I'll be moving m CM15A to another outllet.  Do you know if I use a longer USB cable will I lose any signal strength???. 

I did see the 15amp filters that you mentioned.  They would be perfect for my HT and Computer setup.  My HT peaks at 14.5Amps when the TV is on.  When there is a good action scene you can see the lights dim in my neighborhood and hear  glasses rattling for miles!!!    ;D
If it doesn't work get a BIGGER hammer!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »

... Do you know if I use a longer USB cable will I lose any signal strength???.

I can't tell you what will happen in your setup, but I can tell you my experiences.
I am currently using approximately 16 feet of USB cable (6ft cable + 10 ft extension), and I haven't had any issues.
However, a few months back I had tried using several different "extenders", the type that are split with a CAT5 cable between them. I don't know if it was my house, or bad karma, but those things caused all sorts of problems. They were VERY prone to picking up stray electrical noise, and would reset themselves at the drop of a hat. Repeated resetting of the USB connection caused the CM15A to "go crazy," and lock up (resetting the flags to a "known error" state - with some of them on, and some of them off).
I REALLY don't recommend using a USB-over-CAT5 extender if you plan on keeping the CM15A connected all the time.
As I recall, the "official" maximum length for USB connections is about 16 feet. You can use powered hubs to extend that, but don't overdo it.

A better bet is to use a regular extension cord to bring the "outlet" closer to the CM15A, and keep the CM15A physically closer to the PC.
In my case,  I took a 75-foot extension cord, and ran it between the outlet on my XTB-IIR (which is at one end of the house, next to the breaker box), and my computer area (all the way at the other end of the house). I haven't had any issues with this setup.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.