Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is my x10 package right for my target?  (Read 9436 times)

Pdozie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is my x10 package right for my target?
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »

Hello good people,
Just placed orders for x10 products (first ever). Took advantage of the promo and got AHP (shipping with CM19A though - no CM15)

Fist of all I've gone through a lot of write ups dating down to 2009 and beyond. One striking thing is the consistency in the support given by some sets of people till date. That is the likes of Brain, Dan Law, Noam, Knightrider, Dave_x10, Dave w and many others. Guys this is a selfless service you give and really I pray you get your deserved rewards.

Again I believe some of the questions has been answered. Actually my head is a bit confused having gone through a lot of write-ups. Do refer me to the right link if you will be duplicating efforts in replying:

1. I'm shipping the x10 products to Nigeria. Here we use 220v power (not 110v). X10 confirmed they don't have 220V products yet. It means I have to arrange for step down transformers/converters. Question is do I expect to have phase distortion issues/coupling issues? And would the step down transformers have any impact to signal?

2. My neighborhood is being burgled almost on daily basis. My house has been burgled 2 times in 1 month. Which is why I searched and found X10 community. My target is to have secrity system that will deter intruders and if not at least give me evidence (video or photo) of who broke in. So I got the follwing package: (DS10A, KR10A, LM465, MS10A, SC1200, CM19A,IN80A, PR511 (flood light motion),  SC546A+SS13A (want to use as door bell),  TM751, VR36A, XX20A-). Hope I didnt over-buy :)
Question is are these enough to meet my target?

2a. I want the XX20A to record on motion and also show on a TV if one is at the gate. Also intend having the SS13A switch as door bell. Will it be an overkill since I may be able to use AHP to configure the XX20A (camera) to trigger the CHIME.

3. Can the MS10A (motion sensor) be installed outdoor. Will like to have it close to the fence so it can, as much as possible, deter intruder before coming closer to house? if it cannot any suggestion?

4. What do you advice; security wise, is it better to have the floodlights on all night or to may be, configure it to flash at intervals before day break.

5. I've downloaded the following: Not sure I need to install all of them. Please help confirm:
     sw31a_setup_ahp: Believe this is basic AHP software. 1st to be installed
   sw26a_vanguard: Not sure if I need this
   sw32a_smartmacro: Believe I need it if using XX20A to trigger CHIME (2a above) is feasble
   iWatchOut: Not sure exactly what it does
   sw39a_onalert: Not sure exactly what it does

Apologies if I've asked too many questions in one post...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Is my x10 package right for my target?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »

Question is do I expect to have phase distortion issues/coupling issues? And would the step down transformers have any impact to signal?

So I got the follwing package: (DS10A, KR10A, LM465, MS10A, SC1200, CM19A,IN80A, PR511 (flood light motion),  SC546A+SS13A (want to use as door bell),  TM751, VR36A, XX20A-).    
Thank for the kind acknowlegement of we "hardcore" X10 users.

I only feel comfortable addressing your initial question.
Many of the items in your X10 purchase depends on communication taking place over your homes powerlines. i.e. LM465, PR511. Also the TM751 and SC1200 receive RF (radio frequency) signals from wireless RF senders (DS10, MS10, KR10, SS13, etc) and outputs signals on the powerline to control lights, alarms, switching ON or OFF wireless cameras, Wall Switches, Lamp and Appliance Modules, etc. These powerline signals are digital pulses which do not transfer through a step down transformer easily (probably closer to reality to just say "not at all").  This is not easy to solve. My first though would be to use a passive phase coupler to "jump" the X10 signal across the step down transformer, but I do not know that the X10 Pro XPCP is safe for 220V.

This may be a big problem. Your 220V power, is it 60Hz or 50Hz?
Marmitek  http://www.marmitek.com/en/  sell 230V 50Hz X10 units, but I do not think they will work at 60Hz. More to come.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:07:37 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:07:45 AM »

#1 Yes I would expect power line signal problems with a step down transformer or a converter.

Some converters just have a diode in them to use half the AC. They would not work with X10 devices.
Step down transformers may not couple the X10 power line signals very well.

Your country is 50Hz and we are 60Hz power line frequency.
Not sure what some X10 modules may do running on 50Hz.

Though not as inexpensive as X10 USA. There are European X10 manufacturers that make 220 volt devices. As dave mentioned.

Also our RF frequency is 310 MHz overseas units are 433.92 Mhz. Modules from here will work with modules from here but not ones made for overseas countries.  Not sure if your country would have a probelm with you using 310 MHz signals.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:13:06 AM by Brian H »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

First of all, I've never had a friend from Nigeria before, so I'm deeply honored.  Second of all, it's not all selfless (my contributions).  I'm feeling pretty good right now having my name mentioned with the above company.

I, too, concur that the transformer would kill the x10 signal.  I think Ido Bartanna has documented 220 conversions to most of the older style modules.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »

Unfortunately the SC1200 has a power 120 volt power transformer in the wall wart supply. That also has the power line transmitter in it.
Yes that is where I adjusted mine from 123KHz to 120KHz power line transmit frequency.

Pdozie

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »

Many thanks guys. I have no doubt now that I made a wrong move buying before posting here. I actually asked one of x10 agents during a live chat (specifically wether they have 220v appliancesto be used in areas using 220v) and she said No; that I will have to buy a converter. One would have thought at that point that she will discourage me or paint the right picture to me.
Unfortunately I've ordered $346 worth of appliance en-route to me now!! Bad investment.
Have to chek out the site suggested by Dave and see how it goes. Now demoralised. Hope I get ship the items back to x10 and get some refunds.

Thanks all

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:36 AM »

Well there also is an X10 European web site that sells 240 volt stuff.
http://www.x10europe.com/

Pdozie

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »

Thanks Brian. Checking out most of the sites. Few I've seen are selling the products individually and not a 'solution'. I guess I will go ahead andtake the orders from x10. Take some of the items there that are only battery powered and keep the rest in the store :(

I hope I will be able to integrate any other  product I buy else where with the ones I will retain from the order. E.g if I manage to get a security console & CM15A elsewhere, it should be able to work with the AHP & other consoles like motion sensors & door sensors.

Your take?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »

I remember reading somewhere here that the wireless frequencies used are different for the European devices. Even the battery-powered wireless components might not work with the European system.

Pdozie

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »

Thanks Noam. Guess I'm done for :(

Too bad

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »

Just a thought....if you were to run a single 15 amp 110 volt "security" circuit you would be able to stay with the X10 products,salvage what you paid for and avoid mixing and matching. The RF sensors will work fine with the Sc1200. What I propose is to feed the new circuit from a stepdown transformer 220 -110 volt at 2 kva. Such a transformer would have all the powerline X10 devices on the secondary side and should work unless the supply frequency is an issue. It would easily feed the horns,cameras, and lights that would be needed. Adding a circuit is not really all that big a job depending on how your home is constructed. Your situation described re frequency of breakins would seem to warrant an investment in deterrence?

Pdozie

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »

Thanks lodtrack.
I've just finished conversing with x10 agent. I'm returning all the products for a refund.
Besides, Its not been long we survived a fire scare from electrical wiring. So I'm honestly not ready to toy with that now.

I remember reading somewhere here that the wireless frequencies used are different for the European devices. Even the battery-powered wireless components might not work with the European system.

You are right on this. Just confirmed it witrh X10 agent too.

Well there also is an X10 European web site that sells 240 volt stuff.
http://www.x10europe.com/

Thanks again. got other sites too (http://x10modules.com/shop/) but all selling more expensive that x10 USA. Guess I will have to stick with one of them and be buying/adding modules gradually.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »

Just a thought....if you were to run a single 15 amp 110 volt "security" circuit you would be able to stay with the X10 products,salvage what you paid for and avoid mixing and matching. The RF sensors will work fine with the Sc1200. What I propose is to feed the new circuit from a stepdown transformer 220 -110 volt at 2 kva. Such a transformer would have all the powerline X10 devices on the secondary side and should work unless the supply frequency is an issue. It would easily feed the horns,cameras, and lights that would be needed. Adding a circuit is not really all that big a job depending on how your home is constructed. Your situation described re frequency of breakins would seem to warrant an investment in deterrence?

The user will still have a problem because the X10 USA modules are designed to work on 60 Hz power, while he has 50 Hz power. Stepping the 220V down to 110 won't change the frequency.

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:06:42 AM »

should work unless the supply frequency is an issue.
I was not sure of the frequency in Nigeria. A moot point now as he is returning the equipment. When I was in Greece, a friend had some North American equipment fed from a 220 volt to 12 volt dc supply feeding an inverter outputting 110 volts at 60 hz. An expensive way around the problem.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

This is one of those scratch your head and wonder questions.  ???

I don't think NTSC standard video cams will even pretend to work at 50Hz or with PAL TVs. But I wonder about the simple control stuff like TM751s controlling Appliance, Lamp, etc Modules. Since all are driven by the zero cross point, do they have enough slop to work at 50 Hz?

One of those - not very important - inquiring minds questions.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.