🔌General Home Automation > User Modified Devices

Need Idea for Pool Water Level Sensor

(1/3) > >>

mrgifford7:
Basically what the subject line says.  I'm trying to figure out how to monitor the water level in my pool.

A little more info:  The Pump/Salt-Chlorine Generator are hooked to an appliance x10 switch.  The general rule is that a pool should run at least 12 hours a day.  This will be taken care of by a macro running 3 hours, 4 times a day.  However, due to a potential leak in the pool and evaporation, there's a chance the pool won't be full enough to run the pump through the skimmer so I'd like a way to set a flag so that the pump won't turn on unless there's enough water.

lodtrack:
A DS10 door switch sensor can be retrofitted to accept a float switch in lieu of the magnetic sensors it comes with. You will need AHP though as it is a security module and will need the software to see the signal to use as a trigger in a macro.

Knightrider:

--- Quote from: lodtrack on April 24, 2011, 06:58:15 AM ---A DS10 door switch sensor can be retrofitted to accept a float switch in lieu of the magnetic sensors it comes with. You will need AHP though as it is a security module and will need the software to see the signal to use as a trigger in a macro.

--- End quote ---

or a powerflash can be used and a macro can be set to check the status of said powerflash.

I thought about this post last night, and didn't post as there's a mechanical aspect of this scenario I can't work out:

I have kids and a pool.  When the kids get in and start splashing around, water gets shoved back into the skimmer, even when the level is below it.

1st question:  Is it an above ground pool with only a skimmer intake?  I have my pump set to take in 50% from the skimmer and 50% from the bottom.

Second question: Can you perform some simple plumbing modifications near the pump to house a self contained float control?  You then would be monitoring the water level available to the pump and not the level of the pool at the skimmer.

Knightrider:
BTW, I use active home pro and some modified hardware to fill the pool for 1/2 hour 3 days a week.  By setting the flow amount manually, it does a fairly good job keeping the level correct.  Tweeking is always involved, but I still go out almost every day and check the chemical balance of the pool.

I doubt my method of filling the pool is any way near code, but it works.

dave w:
An X10 motion sensor (MS16A etc) can also be modified to respond to a contact closure from the float switch if you do not have the "OnAlert" plug-in for the DS10A. For the MS1X mod, the "dawn-dusk" Cds cell is removed and the float with series 10K resistor is wired in its place. The primary address for the motion sensor works as normal. The secondary address, usually used for light/dark detection is now the output from the float switch. The following site outlines the mod.
http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version