Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP Won't Open Reports  (Read 16139 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
AHP Won't Open Reports
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »

Using 3.311 AHP
   using smartmacros.
   NO sdk installed.
   Things SEEM to be working ok.
   PC connected 24/7.
HOWEVER....
   When selecting ANY of the reports (general or macros or status), the reports are generated BUT IE does NOT open.
   I have to manually open the reports by dbl clicking on the file (associated with either IE or Firefox), and the reports will open in the "then" associated browser.
   Any ideas as to why the reports are not opening the browser?
   They used to open correctley when prior to 3.310 (original software when I bought AHP... I believe it was 3.306'ish)., but since 3.310 have not.
   On another computer not connected to CM15a, general and macro reports DO open IE but status report does NOT.
hhmmm...
Both computers have 3.311 installed and smart macros.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:56:46 PM by Knightrider »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: New & Old (outstanding) AHP Bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »

Using 3.311 AHP
   using smartmacros.
   NO sdk installed.
   Things SEEM to be working ok.
   PC connected 24/7.
HOWEVER....
   When selecting ANY of the reports (general or macros or status), the reports are generated BUT IE does NOT open.
   I have to manually open the reports by dbl clicking on the file (associated with either IE or Firefox), and the reports will open in the "then" associated browser.
   Any ideas as to why the reports are not opening the browser?
   They used to open correctley when prior to 3.310 (original software when I bought AHP... I believe it was 3.306'ish)., but since 3.310 have not.
   On another computer not connected to CM15a, general and macro reports DO open IE but status report does NOT.
hhmmm...
Both computers have 3.311 installed and smart macros.

Cannot reproduce on my XP systems.  I do have the SDK installed, and plug-ins with exception to the last 4.  IE opens fine.

IE ver 8.0.6001.18702
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

pomonabill221

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

oops... forgot to mention that I am running XP sp3 with all the latest updates as well.
hhmmm....
Would like to know how IE is called when the reports are generated....
  I was running an app called file monitor (by sysinternals... lots of great stuff!!!) and the log showed that the reports was written, but IE was never called or attempted!
  Could a popup blocker be interfering?  I don't think so because other reports (on my second computer) are being opened, just not all of them.
  Does AHP call it?  Is there a registry setting that would be used to open IE?  I looked thru the registry and could not find any entry under AHP/X10 that would indicate this.
  I will have to dig deeper because this is a MAJOR part of AHP that I use alot, and it is a pain to have to keep opening the file every time I generate it!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »

oops... forgot to mention that I am running XP sp3 with all the latest updates as well.
hhmmm....
Would like to know how IE is called when the reports are generated....
  I was running an app called file monitor (by sysinternals... lots of great stuff!!!) and the log showed that the reports was written, but IE was never called or attempted!
  Could a popup blocker be interfering?  I don't think so because other reports (on my second computer) are being opened, just not all of them.
  Does AHP call it?  Is there a registry setting that would be used to open IE?  I looked thru the registry and could not find any entry under AHP/X10 that would indicate this.
  I will have to dig deeper because this is a MAJOR part of AHP that I use alot, and it is a pain to have to keep opening the file every time I generate it!

The answer is a flat no.  All reports generated by AHP call IE, that's what was programmed, probably with the first version of it.   Even if you have Firefox, it still calls IE.  Files for modules are generated by AHP with the file suffix .ahx.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

pomonabill221

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »

The answer is a flat no.  All reports generated by AHP call IE, that's what was programmed, probably with the first version of it.   Even if you have Firefox, it still calls IE.  Files for modules are generated by AHP with the file suffix .ahx.   

Well then why, on one computer, do NONE of the reports open IE, and another computer, only general and macro reports open, and NOT the status report, even though they are ALL being generated???  hmmmm....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:22:33 AM by Noam »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »

Well then why, on one computer, do NONE of the reports open IE, and another computer, only general and macro reports open, and NOT the status report, even though they are ALL being generated???  hmmmm....
My only thought on this one is something with your IE. Perhaps the AHP report generator IS calling it, but IE isn't opening for some reason. Maybe there is some sort of permissions issue on your system?
Have you tried removing and re-installing IE? (Depending on the version of IE and XP, that may not be easy or even possible).

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

I played again with this last issue on 3 different machines.  All three of my computers had no problem generating any of the three report options.  Could it be that a small portion of the code got corrupted when you downloaded the latest software version?

Have you tried to re-run the bootstrap?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

It is possible the AHX file got corupt. Test with a different or new AHX file.
Hope you backed up your AHX file! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my XP SP3, or on my Win7 Pro 64-bit PCs.
I haven't seen other reports of it, so it sounds like it might be something localized to your PC.

pomonabill221

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »

HHmmm... I too have look and looked for others that might be having this problem and have come up empty handed, so I agree that my situation must be unique.
  I will take the plunge and remove and reinstall and see what happens.
  I cannot think of anything that might have corrupted AHP, but we all know that things CAN happen without a clue!
  Yes, I do have a backup of my AHX file, so a reinstall won't be too painful.
  So calling IE is hard coded???  Would be nice to have the option to use Firefox or another browser is desired, rather than be tied to IE.
  I am using ver. 8.0.6001.18702.  Anyone have a clue about how to get ride of the annoying popup for IE8?  The one that asks about setting it up that occasionally pops up?  Have tried suggestions and even ran it and it still pops up once in a while... REAL annoying!!!!
  Does add/remove completely remove AHP, or do I have to delete files after running add/remove to FORCE a complete install like some other programs?  How about the registry?
  Thanks a ton for all of your help!!!  These forums are great and I have gotten ALOT of info on AHP and the flukes and tricks to make it work!
  I know this is off topic but I looked up the receiver's chip and found that there is a pin that can be monitored with a scope to look at the RF signal strength from a wireless transmitter!!!  It is pin 10, labeled CPC.
  It is the output of the limiter amp, and the datasheet states that it can be used as an RSSI monitor!!  (RSSI=Received Signal Strength Indicator).
  I have been using it to monitor the effectiveness of antenna mods to transmitters and it shows a definite improvement!

BTW.... Happy Easter everyone!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »

I'm personally glad to have pamanobill221 with us.  His deconstuction mods are great, if not just for the info.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

pomonabill221

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

I'm personally glad to have pamanobill221 with us.  His deconstuction mods are great, if not just for the info.

Well THANK YOU Knightrider!!!  >!
I am happy to pass along my thoughts and ideas, and I appreciate any and all ideas that others have as well!

pomonabill221

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »

Well I did a little more investigating into the browser failing to open and...
File monitor shows that AHP is trying to use Google Chrome and NOT IE!!!!
VERY STRANGE!!!
So I installed Chrome, and the path that chrome was install in was different to where AHP was trying to open from.
So I copied the complete directory that chrome installed into to where AHP was trying to open from and no go.
Probably a registry setting for the configuration for Chrome, or a configuration file that Chrome was using for it's support files, were not where they were supposed to be, so I uninstalled Chrome.
I have a party to go to (Easter) and will continue later to see what is going on!
IF chrome will work, then Firefox should also.  Evidently the call for IE is not hard coded in AHP, and AHP is relying on a registry setting to open the reports.
Will look into that as well!
Happy Easter everyone!

pomonabill221

Re: AHP Won't Open Reports
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »

I HAVE HAD A EUREKA MOMENT!!! and FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!

As I said, registry monitor said that it was trying to use Google Chrome to display the reports.
  I had installed Chrome some time ago, and uninstalled it, probably after upgrading to 3.310, then 3.311.
  Evidently I didn't discover the problem until I tried to create reports just recently.
  Registry monitor wasn't telling me the REAL registry key that it was using to open the reports, so I just searched the registry for "google\chrome.exe" and FOUND IT!!!
  Registry monitor was showing that it was trying the key for html files in HKCR, and the shell\open\command that I had set was for Firefox.  EVEN if it was IE, Chrome was STILL listed in file monitor as the app to open and display the reports.
  Chrome, however WAS NON INSTALLED!!!!
 Soooo....
  I searched the registry for google\chrome and FOUND it under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\command!!!
  I changed the complete path under this key to IE and I GOT MY REPORTS!!!! ALL OF THEM!!!
  Soooo (2)....  I changed the path to firefox, AND IT NOW OPENS FIREFOX FOR ALL THE REPORTS!!!
  Conclusion is:
  1) The browser used for displaying the reports is NOT hard coded
  2) IF YOU KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE REGISTRY.... you CAN change the browser to use for your reports
  3) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS BACKUP THE REGISTRY BEFORE MESSING WITH IT!!!
 YOU CAN CREAM YOUR SYSTEM.
  A BETTER thing to do is to BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM or MAKE A BOOTABLE IMAGE OF YOUR DRIVE.  That way if you trash your registry, you can restore the image and boot into windows.  Using system restore may not be enough if you cannot boot windows!
  Of course, if X10 would incorporate the option to pick and choose the browser used for reports (SIMPLE), THAT would REALLY be nice!!!
  I have purposely NOT included the complete change to the registry because everyone's system is different and arbitrarily merging someone else's registry entry into their registry could really do some damage!!!
  Once again...  ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE REGISTRY!!!  I can and WILL not be responsible for someone creaming their system by messing with the registry!!!

pomonabill221

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »

AHP displays the reports by what is in the registry and is NOT hard coded.  I have Firefox displaying all my reports now by a registry change. (see my previous post as to what I found).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.