Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP Won't Open Reports  (Read 16137 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: New & Old (outstanding) AHP Bugs
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

I played again with this last issue on 3 different machines.  All three of my computers had no problem generating any of the three report options.  Could it be that a small portion of the code got corrupted when you downloaded the latest software version?

Have you tried to re-run the bootstrap?

Hi KnightRider..
  Yes I uninstall AHP, found and removed ALL references in the registry to AHP /x10 /x10commander, deleted ALL files and folders for x10,AHP.
  Then did a complete reinstall of AHP 3.311 and smartmacros 3.311 and the problem persisted.... hhmmm  B:( B:(
  That is what made me really look into the registry and do some deep digging as the registry is the Holy Grail for windows, and everything must use it to operate.
  I thought it might be corruption as well, but on two different computers, the chances (I thought) were probably low (although stranger than strange things HAVE happened before)!
  Thanks a lot for your ideas though!
  EVERYONE's ideas are ALWAYS appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:47:17 PM by pomonabill221 »

pomonabill221

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »

The answer is a flat no.  All reports generated by AHP call IE, that's what was programmed, probably with the first version of it.   Even if you have Firefox, it still calls IE.  Files for modules are generated by AHP with the file suffix .ahx.   

Well then why, on one computer, do NONE of the reports open IE, and another computer, only general and macro reports open, and NOT the status report, even though they are ALL being generated???  hmmmm....
My only thought on this one is something with your IE. Perhaps the AHP report generator IS calling it, but IE isn't opening for some reason. Maybe there is some sort of permissions issue on your system?
Have you tried removing and re-installing IE? (Depending on the version of IE and XP, that may not be easy or even possible).
  Tried permissions also and they all seemed correct.
  My "theory" was that if I can dbl click on an html file, and IE opens (or whatever program is associated with an html), if there were permission issues (or file corruption), it STILL would not open (maybe?)
  I ALMOST tried uninstalling IE, but after thinking about it, I just kept that as an option for later, but did NOT discount it!
  Thanks for your idea though!

pomonabill221

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

It is possible the AHX file got corupt. Test with a different or new AHX file.
Hope you backed up your AHX file! ;)
  After this and other problems with AHP... YOU BET I KEEP A BACKUP!!!! :D ;D
  Thank you!

pomonabill221

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my XP SP3, or on my Win7 Pro 64-bit PCs.
I haven't seen other reports of it, so it sounds like it might be something localized to your PC.
  Yes it was local to my computer... THE REGISTRY ENTRY FOR HTML!  It was in a different location than where I was looking, and google chrome caused it!

pomonabill221

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »

I'm personally glad to have pamanobill221 with us.  His deconstuction mods are great, if not just for the info.
  As long as my mods aren't DESTRUCTIVE  rofl rofl rofl

ErikP

Re: AHP Won't Open Reports
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »

We use ShellExecute to display the generated HTML files.  As you already figured out it is possible for the windows registry to get corrupted in the values used by the system call to open and navigate the default web browser.  This primarily just reiterates what you have already found out, but for more technical information about the root of the problem here is an article from MSDN on opening HTML files using ShellExecute http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224816.

I personally had this problem after installing the Opera web browser for testing purposes.  When I removed Opera from the system, the registry did not get set back up correctly and when I clicked the links in the mobile application email invite dialog nothing happened until I manually repaired the registry.

In short, we do allow you to choose the web browser to open your reports with.  We just rely on the default built in behavior of the windows operating system to do it.  If only the various browser companies would stop breaking this functionality we would all have a lot less headaches...  B:(

pomonabill221

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »

In short, we do allow you to choose the web browser to open your reports with.  We just rely on the default built in behavior of the windows operating system to do it.  If only the various browser companies would stop breaking this functionality we would all have a lot less headaches...  B:(

So when you say that "we do allow you to choose the web browser to open your reports with.", you are referring to what windows "says" in the registry?  As far as I know, there is no way for the user to choose the browser, just windows?
  I have tried to change the "open with" for html files, and my setting did not change... still opened with what was in the registry key that I mentioned.
  Would deleting THAT registry key, and using the OTHER reg key (that gets changed when "open with" gets changed) enable the reports to open with MY selection instead?
  I don't know where (or what) the key that I found opera in was created with.  Possibly Opera?  don't know.
hhmmm... will have to try it out!

ErikP

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Anytime you click "Set as Default WebBrowser" in any browser it is supposed to set all the registry keys mentioned in this thread so far.  In my testing even IE is noncompliant in this, so I'm not sure what Microsoft's plan is on this one.  Our code just asks the OS to please open the file using whatever the default is.  Checking these registry keys all occurs on the system end and AHP doesn't directly touch any of it.  See the MSDN article i linked in my last post for a list of keys which are supposed to be updated when a browser sets itself as the default.

pomonabill221

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »

Ahha!!!  That is another question I had and you just answered it!  -:)
  I was curious as to whether or not AHP wrote it's own keys into the registry or not for the browser.  NOT... that is good!
So when I installed (and removed) chrome, the key was NOT removed and AHP used THAT key to try and open the browser!
  That is the problem that I was having.
  It is annoying when someone tries an application (not AHP) that is supposed to do wonderful things, then the person finds that it will not do what he/she wants, uninstalls it and junk is left behind that affects other things, and the user has no idea what changed... just that things are not working the same... all too typical!
  Thanks for the info!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.