Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advantages of cm15a over cm19a??  (Read 4892 times)

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Advantages of cm15a over cm19a??
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »

I was wondering what the advantages of CM15A are compared to CM19A and whether they would be important for my planned use.

From what I have read, I guess the two differences are:
1) CM15A has PLC capability.
2) CM15A has a memory and can perform scheduled tasks without a dedicated(always on) pc.

Number 2 is a non-issue for me since I will already be using a dedicated pc as a server (I am planning to integrate the x-10 system with my xbmc media center such as when I play a movie, all lights off, curtains closed; when I pause, lights brighten by 30%; etc., possibly linked by eventghost)

and about number 1, that's where I'm really confused. Is the plc function really necessary? I was under the impression that all products nowadays (such as dimmers, switches, motion detectors, etc.) have rf capability, so the CM19A should be able to control them, correct?

I am looking at both the product details and the "how to" guide for the LM465 and see no mention of either RF or PLC. It does however tell you to plug it into the same wall outlet as the controller to test initially. And my question is what controller??? I am assuming some sort of PLC equipped controller such as CM15A?? What about an RF remote?? Would that work by itself through RF??

If this lamp module is plc only, then what other commonly used X-10 devices also plc only?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Advantages of cm15a over cm19a??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

#1 Yes it is necessary. None of the X10 modules use RF.
Except things like CM19A, motion sensors and remotes. They send an RF signal to the CM15A or a transceiver. That then sends the X10 power line signals to the modules.

The CM19A uses a TM751 or RR501 transceiver to take the RF and convert it to power line signals. The CM19A can also receive RF signals from remotes and motion sensors.

I guess if you only wanted to send power line signals through the CM19A/TM751 setup it may work, but AHP would have no way of receiving any power line signals for triggers and macros.

IMHO CM15A setup is much more versatile.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:59:32 AM by Brian H »

aptalca

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »

Thanks Brian,

I see now that the said "controller" mentioned in the how to guide must be the tm751. I also see that it is included in the lighting starter kits, and I now get that the remotes (and the cm19a) communicate with the modules through the tm751 transceiver (or the cm15a if present).

I was mainly confused because on the $149 19-piece security package deal page on x10.com, they are advertising the onAlert add on package that comes with activehomepro and cm19a so I assumed it was all I needed to control all the units. (I know what happens when I assume :-) )

Another quick question if you don't mind. . . Is one cm15a sufficient (in terms of rf range) for the entire system in an average sized home (2 bedroom, 3 floor rowhome) or does installing another tm751 on another floor extend the rf range without duplicating the signal? (I realize that x10 signals are one way and they do not have command confirmation like zwave, so I guess sending multiples of the same signal might be interpreted as separate signals??? such as dimming twice when there was only ONE original dim signal but generated by two separate devices???)

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

Actually the SC1200 Console also acts like a transceiver for X10 RF devices. For the House Code set in it. Mine is presently doing mine and my RR501 is back in the spares box.

Is the CM15As RF coverage good enough for your house. Probably not unless you do one of the CM15A antenna modifications.

Now the TM751 has no power line receiver in it and is not polite. It will step on any power line signals if the CM15A or SC1200A also received the RF and sent the power line signals. I recommend the RR501 as it is polite and though not easy to find on the X10 site. Many of the EBay X10 dealers have them for about $12.50 each. Most include shipping.

There are some threads here covering the SC1200 and onAlert. You may want to do a search here.

aptalca

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »

Oh so the tm751 does not play nice with CM15A. Hmm. . .

does sc1200 play nice with cm15a??

Would it work if I had the sc1200 on the first floor, cm15a on the second and an rr501 on the third?? Would they all play nice?? Also does the rr501 only work with 1 house code + 8 channels, either 1-8 or 9-16, but not all 16?

(By the way the rr501 was listed at $34 on x10.com, but their ebay site has it listed for $12 w/ free shipping :-) thanks for the tip)

I read some threads about sc1200 and onAlert having issues, but the comments were kind of all over the place and I was not able to draw a conclusion based on them. What I kinda got was that arm&disarm is recognized by AHP when the keyfobs or the remote is used, but not when the console is used. I understand that the sc1200 is fairly new, and onAlert/AHP might need a couple of updates. Either way it's not that big of a deal if they don't work 100%.

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »

The SC1200 has no power line receiver in it.
So in theory. It could step on another power line signal.

Both the CM15A and RR501 are polite so again in theory. If the SC1200 was first to send. They should wait for a random time and then try again.

I don't know if onAlert would ever be able to detect a disarm from the console. It sends no signals when disarmed and when armed all it does is send the standard X10 On and Off to the HouseCode/Light Code address set in it. Same two codes are sent during an alarm.

The RR501 can do all sixteen Unit Codes for the House Code it is set to. The 1-9 switch selects the address the internal appliance relay responds to and yes a power line signal to the address can turn it on and off. Unlike the TM751 that only responds to an RF command on Unit one.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.