Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Using computer as a recording devise?  (Read 38975 times)

Mr. Jones

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Using computer as a recording devise?
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

A couple of quick questions for the boards. I have an old computer running Windows 98 and wanted to put it to use as a recording devise for my X10 cameras. I have a second home that is very remote and I only get to it every two weeks (in the summer months). I have the X10 cameras all set up with motion detectors and it has been working for about a year now using the VCR commander. The issue I’m having is once the tape hits the end, it rewinds and records over stuff I haven’t had a chance to look at. At times, I can only see a day or two, especially in the summer. I’ve been reading through the boards and see that there is a lot of problems with X10’s software.  I saw some posts from “guitardood” who had some third party free software but it was a little over my head. Is there some easy way for me to make this happen? Would somebody be willing to help? Also, will I be able to set how long the cameras stay active after motion stops? The VCR commander records for 5 minutes and there is no way of changing it. Man I wish there was! How much hard drive space/size would I need to cover two weeks time or more, like even up to a month? I don’t have internet access up there either. Thanks so much for any replys! 

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: Using computer as a recording devise?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »

A list of all the equipment you have would help us help you.  And what X10 software you have if any.  I'm sure there is a way if you have the right equipment!    >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »

The ActiveHome Pro software with the iwatchout (video)plug-in should work for you.
I never had much luck with video capture but found the auto stills feature set to a low interval worked fine for me!
Note: You need a internet connection to install but you could bring the PC home for that!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mr. Jones

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »

Hawk1;I have 3 wireless cameras and I don't have the model numbers. 3 wireless montion sensors. A VCR Commander 2. A wireless video reciever, and a regular Transceiver. Let me know if you need more info.

Tuicemen; being in sales for X10 I understand your motive but as i mentioned...From the posts I see, there are major problems with your software. I don't have time to play games with software programs that don't work. I HATE computers as it is.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:17 PM »

Exactly what software are you talking about?
Both AHP and iwatchout are X10s programs.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »

I don't work for X10, As many users asume.
Note my tag line! ;)
This is why I stated to use the auto stills function.

With that said I do have software I created that will control cams and record.
However I'll let users of said software give it the thumbs up or down as I personaly don't use the function!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mr. Jones

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »

Sorry my bad Tuicemen!!!! I'm new here so looking at your info, it mentions you as a admin. So i thought you worked for X10. Also you mentioned one of X10's products again that's why I assumed. Sorry! You sound like a go to guy if you write your own programs etc. Still's would be a way to go but moving video would be the way I perfer. I just don't want to waste a lot of hard drive space capturing 5 minute chunks. Sometimes a car goes by and that it. I afraid if I use the still mode, I'll just miss a snapshot or only see only half a person if the sensor is slow to react. Thaks for all your help folks!!!!!

Brian H; I assume your talking to Tuicemen, correct?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »

No Problem, Your not the first to make the mistake!
Check the thirdparty software section!
There are several free and trial software links and info there! (even mine)
Some may do what your looking for.
You may also wish to look at Blueiris and combine it with another thirdparty software to get all the X10 features your looking for!
As for getting help seting something up.
Thats what the forum is here for!
 >!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:19:29 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

hawk1

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

Mr. Jones; do you have a va11 or va12 video adapter or some other way to get the video to your computer?  If you don't then that would number 1 to get.  Then like Tuicemen said there is numerous Third Party Video Software  that could try.

Tuicemen's PC Commander has video recording capabilities, as does a program called Vitamin D.  Vitamin D's software is a free for one camera, which with X10 is all you need because you can only have one on at a time.

But Tuicemen's software has a lot more functions and features.

Just my 2 cents.   :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »

Just a quick follow up on Hawk1s post!
A VA11a or Va12A isn't necessary for most video software even mine.
However some form of video capture device is needed.
Just beware some capture hardware only works with the manufacturers software.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »

In the for what it is worth category....

I spend enough money on X-10 cameras and software, and was consistently disappointed. X-10 HA in general I can work with, but finally gave up on their video setups.

Best decision I ever made. There is SO much GOOD stuff out there that can run standalone and with MUCH hgher resloution and with IR illumination that X-10 has ever offered.... and for about the same price, overall. Much better built in motion detection available from tyhe scene in the cams themselves ! HD recording!

My advice to oyu andanyone else looing into video is DITCH x-10. Crummy older stuff that is 3 generations behind.

Try geeks.com, or Q-See, or a zillion other places. You will be happy you did.

Chris

ps. Also dirch 2.4 Mhz wireless. Bite the bullet and go wired. Another great decision for me.

phongluu

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »

Totally agree 100% with glacier991 about x10 video.
I have used and played with x10 products over 10 years+ here. It gives me some fun...I'd recommend my bud to used x10 module, cm15a, ahp, BUT will absolutely not x10 video. VA12A is a joke and buggy.
Go to Costco, or google and check out q-see, swan, ...etc. They are much more better and friendly use and smartphone comparable, build in DVR with motion, audio....

P.L

Mr. Jones

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »

Thanks for all the great feedback folks! I really do appricate it! Since I already have my X10 cameras set-up I think I'll continue to use them so I get my money out of them. Later I'll upgrade and check out the suggestions that glacier991 made.

Hawk1; is the VA11A/VA12A an X10 product? Or is it something I can go out and buy? And will it work with my X10 system? I'm a little if'y because of phongluu comments. The reason being, I don't get much time up there and I don't want to spend a whole weekend messing with a computer. Just so you know, I know enough to get around on computers but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Tuicemen; All I need is some way to get the video signal out of the video receiver into my computer right? Almost like a firewire port/card? Also, like I said I'm new here so, which product is your? Or do i just search for your posts and sift through them?

Again, I'm very greatful for all the support I'm getting from you guys.

hawk1

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »

Yes, the va11 or va12 is an X10 product.  You can use it with almost any video recording software.  I use Blue Iris and iHouse to control my cameras.  Sometimes I use Vitimin D and Tuicemen's PCC.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »

You'll need some sort of Video capture device some video cards have a video input built in.
My Software is PcCompanion as Hawk1 stated PCC
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.