Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simply no go with tm751  (Read 14036 times)

aptalca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simply no go with tm751
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »

Unfortunately Active Phone does not work with TM751 as it does not send rf commands through the palmpad html.

The main (underlying) problem is that the "image?Act=getmodules" command through http does not return the device type. Therefore it is not possible to know whether it is an RF or a PL receiver. Even though one could send an rf command through the http api, the palmpad html only sends plc commands, not rf.

(I realize the TM751 is not a good option when combined with the CM15A as it cannot receive plc and does not know whether another device already transmitted the rf command through plc. So it might end up messing up the signal by resending it. I decided to replace them with rr501's because they have plc receivers, are compatible with other transceivers on the same housecode and they would work with Active phone)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Simply no go with tm751
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

The RR501 is a transceiver like the TM751 but better as it is "polite" meaning it waits for the line to be clear before sending the powerline signals. The TM751 does not wait, which may cause conflicts, plus the RR501 has a outlet which the 751 does not. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »

Dan,

Straight from the TM751 documentation:

"Plug a lamp or appliance into the outlet on the TM751 (observe the ratings
on the back of the TM751).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

Is the module {TM751} defined in AHP as a "Tranceiver Module RF"
I believe AHP knows enough to use an RF signal for a TM751.
I don't have active phone so it may have a problem and I can't verify it.

aptalca

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:07:18 AM »

Yes it is defined as Transceiver Module RF in AHP. AHP has no problems controlling it. ActivePhone plugin's http api can control it too as long as you use the rf command "sendcmd" instead of "sendplc". However, the palmpad html interface that comes with ActivePhone *always* sends the plc command.

the http command "getmodules" returns an xml file with info on everything that's connected (info taken from AHP). It includes info on:

1) a = house and unit code of device
2) t = name of device
3) o = on/off state
4) b = brightness level
5) r = the room it belongs to

There is no info returned about the type of device (rf/plc) so there is no way for the palmpad html interface to know whether to send an rf or a plc command, so it always sends the plc command "sendplc"

aptalca

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »

The RR501 is a transceiver like the TM751 but better as it is "polite" meaning it waits for the line to be clear before sending the powerline signals. The TM751 does not wait, which may cause conflicts, plus the RR501 has a outlet which the 751 does not. 

I just ordered a couple of RR501s. To me the TM751's are pointless. The impolite nature makes things extremely difficult. I had to set the CM15A to *not* transceive at my main housecode because otherwise 30% of the time, signals from remotes would not get to the unit due to interference between CM15A and TM751, but would be recognized by AHP. It would lead to AHP thinking a light is on when in fact it's off. But with CM15A not transceiving, I get dead zones where the signal from the remote doesn't reach the TM751. Hopefully with RR501's and the CM15A transceiving, I shouldn't have any more dead zones and have almost 100% reliability.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »

Hopefully with RR501's and the CM15A transceiving, I shouldn't have any more dead zones and have almost 100% reliability.
Good troubleshooting.
Using RR501 and CM15A as a way around phase coupling issues is a work-around, and *may* work well depending on size of home and how many noise generators you have. However you might want to keep installation of a repeater on the table.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »

I had to set the CM15A to *not* transceive at my main housecode because otherwise 30% of the time, signals from remotes would not get to the unit due to interference between CM15A and TM751

The issue here might be that the TM751 and the CM15A are both trying to convert the RF signal to PLC at the same time, and being that the 751 is not polite it is walking on the PLC signal from the CM15A.  If this is the case, you may have issues with an RR501 due to the fact that the CM15A will send the signal, and the RR501 (being polite) will wait for the CM15A to finish and send the signal again thus giving you 2 PLC transmissions of the same command.  If this is the case, you should see this in the activity monitor after plugging in the RR501 and sending a few signals.  Personally, I would try to avoid using a CM15A and an RR501 or TM751 anywhere near each other because of these kinds of issues. 

If the issue is range on the CM15A and you are using it with just the stock antenna, I would look into some of the antenna mods posted in the forum.  I used the F-connector mod there are links to the mod and more info on this same topic in this thread.  Hope that helps a bit.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.