Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Virtual Rain Sensor  (Read 65203 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: Virtual Rain Sensor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Yes I clicked on the gear icon and the form came up blank with A1 as the module address.

I just fixed this for IE8 and know it works in Chrome 18... which browser and version are you using?
I am using FF 11.0.
I will give it another try!

reskin

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

Any news?   :'

pomonabill221

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

The only clue that something is happening is that in event viewer (windows xp pro), I have two entries under applications that say:
polling
and
got result
  I looked in AHP for activity for the appliance modules that I have setup for my sprinklers, and there hasn't been any activity at all, so I don't know if anything is happening.  B:( B:( B:(
  I sure would like to be able to test this, and a little documentation is needed.  I would have thought that documentation should have been provided along with the software. :'
  Remember, users don't have a clue as to what to expect so something should be written, and to be able to create some sort of test to see if AHP is getting the commands to do something.
  I guess that I will just stick to my standalone controller for now.  :-\

reskin

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »

The only clue that something is happening is that in event viewer (windows xp pro), I have two entries under applications that say:
polling
and
got result
You should be able to correlate those entries with the "History" and "Service" tabs on your dashboard.  You won't see any AHP activity unless the program asserts that it actually needs to run a zone you have configured.

http://www.virtualrainsensor.com/Dashboard/History.aspx
http://www.virtualrainsensor.com/Dashboard/Service.aspx

I have started some documentation at...

https://virtualrainsensor.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1

The documentation is community driven right now because I am the inventor, developer, marketer, QA, troubleshooter, technical writer, etc.  And it is a free service.   :angel:

pomonabill221

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

polling
and
got result
You should be able to correlate those entries with the "History" and "Service" tabs on your dashboard.  You won't see any AHP activity unless the program asserts that it actually needs to run a zone you have configured.

I took a look at my account and there is nothing in the history or service tabs.
Since I am uploading solar radiation to wunderground (although not really calibrated), all the data is available.
Here is the link to my weather station:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCAPOMON3
Thanks...

reskin

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

I took a look at my account and there is nothing in the history or service tabs.
Since I am uploading solar radiation to wunderground (although not really calibrated), all the data is available.
Thanks...

It appears your account is set up correctly using your weather station.  I see you have three (3) zones set up. 

I do not, however, show that the service installed correctly or has not successfully started on your machine.  It also may be that it hasn't been able to communicate.  If you can look at your Event Viewer (Windows Control Panel) and filter on "Virtual Rain Sensor" it may give us some insight as to why the application failed, etc.

Or you can try downloading and installing the service application again to get the very latest version:

http://www.virtualrainsensor.com/Download.aspx

Once the installation is complete you should be able to see that the service connected under your Service tab on the website:

pomonabill221

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »

Thanks...

It appears your account is set up correctly using your weather station.  I see you have three (3) zones set up. 

I do not, however, show that the service installed correctly or has not successfully started on your machine.  It also may be that it hasn't been able to communicate.  If you can look at your Event Viewer (Windows Control Panel) and filter on "Virtual Rain Sensor" it may give us some insight as to why the application failed, etc.

Or you can try downloading and installing the service application again to get the very latest version:

http://www.virtualrainsensor.com/Download.aspx

Once the installation is complete you should be able to see that the service connected under your Service tab on the website:

Here is a partial of my event viewer attached.  The only entry that has any data from "got result" is 4/22 at 04:25:08, all others are blank.
The service does appear to start ok, and polls ok.

pomonabill221

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »

I went to the site, downloaded the installer, saved it, uninstalled the version that I had, reinstalled the downloaded version.
  I checked event viewer and it indicated that the service installed and started ok with no errors.
We'll see what happens!

reskin

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »

Here is a partial of my event viewer attached.  The only entry that has any data from "got result" is 4/22 at 04:25:08, all others are blank.

W00t!  It looks like the download did the trick...

timestamp   username   Event   extra
2012-04-23 12:17:17.387   pomonabill221   Connected   Service started...

So now we need to wait until your next poll time and you should see some zones evaluated.   >!

pomonabill221

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »

Here is a partial of my event viewer attached.  The only entry that has any data from "got result" is 4/22 at 04:25:08, all others are blank.

W00t!  It looks like the download did the trick...

timestamp   username   Event   extra
2012-04-23 12:17:17.387   pomonabill221   Connected   Service started...

So now we need to wait until your next poll time and you should see some zones evaluated.   >!
Actually, the events that I attached happened before I did the download and uninstall/reinstall today, and yes we will see what happens.
Wonder why this didn't happen the first time???
The zones that I setup are test zones (they are there, just not being controlled by AHP YET).  I wanted to see how things worked first.
Will I see activity in AHP's log for the zones that I setup on my local computer and AHP?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:31:16 PM by pomonabill221 »

reskin

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 02:00:01 PM »

Actually, the events that I attached happened before I did the download and uninstall/reinstall today, and yes we will see what happens.
Wonder why this didn't happen the first time???
The zones that I setup are test zones (they are there, just not being controlled by AHP YET).  I wanted to see how things worked first.
Will I see activity in AHP's log for the zones that I setup on my local computer and AHP?

There have been several bug fixes and enhancements... it is hard to say but we had a few instances where the program wasn't installing correctly and narrowed those down.

So now what happens the service on your machine will poll once a day to determine if a zone is ready to run, pull the forecasts and historical observations originating from your weather station.  If we actually send an ON or OFF you will see it in the history in AHP and you will see it in the History tab for the zone.  Note: A module with the code for each zone has to exist in AHP to see the history and to keep it from detecting it as another computer (in case you are using bogus X10 codes for testing purposes).

pomonabill221

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

I have setup modules in AHP that match my VRS account, so I should see activity on these modules.

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

still wish I could get the service to install   B:(

>! Ken

pomonabill221

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »

I finally have some activity on my AHP and dummy modules!!!!
Just one question.... on my account page/history, the column labeled "needed" shows a -0.05, yet the "sprinklers" still ran.
  Is the needed in inches?  Why is it negative yet my sprinklers still ran?
Also on the account main page, there is a check box labeled repeat.  I checked it but there is NO mention as to what this is for?
  It would be great if there was something that mentioned what the settings do, and what the history columns mean.
  I know some are obvious, but not all.

reskin

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »

I finally have some activity on my AHP and dummy modules!!!!
Just one question.... on my account page/history, the column labeled "needed" shows a -0.05, yet the "sprinklers" still ran.
  Is the needed in inches?  Why is it negative yet my sprinklers still ran?
Also on the account main page, there is a check box labeled repeat.  I checked it but there is NO mention as to what this is for?
  It would be great if there was something that mentioned what the settings do, and what the history columns mean.
  I know some are obvious, but not all.

All three of your zones have a "minimum on time" configured.  Probably my fault because there is no documentation but it means that the zone will run for at least that long, regardless of how much water you need.  This is for "indexing valves".  I have confused people on this - most interpret it to mean "if the zone goes on, I don't want it to run for less than this amount of time" which there may be a need for a separate parameter for if you can explain why you wanted times in there.

Everything is in "inches" unless you have the "metric" checkbox enabled.

The "repeat" is the same function as in AHP - it sends the on and off signal multiple times to ensure that the message gets through (dirty power, RF noise, etc).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.