Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 appliance or lamp module for fluorescent / cfl?  (Read 9423 times)

freeballer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 appliance or lamp module for fluorescent / cfl?
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »

probably a stupid question. I bought a few appliance & lamp modules. I'm not sure which one would be best for one lamp i have. The appliance module says its best for fluorescent.. But reading between the lines I'm guessing its "best" when the lamps are beyond 300w. Is that true?

The lamp is a simple desk lamp. The bulb wattage is only 18w.. Its not huge (wattage/output) but its not dimmable so the lamp module and appliance seem to do exactly the same thing in this case.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: x10 appliance or lamp module for fluorescent / cfl?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »

Appliance Module.
The dimmer circuit in the lamp module even on 100% on. Could be a problem. Also the new soft start ones would ramp on and off on a load that does not like dimmers.
You may also see a safety warning on the CFL. Not to use on dimmers.

freeballer

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:17:10 PM »

Interesting.. I guess it wasn't a stupid question after all. Its funny you mention the dimmer.
I've seen warnings on CFL for dimmers and even timers.. So thats what made me ask the question.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »

Some of the dimmable CFLs do work with a lamp module. Though most have a limited dim range.
I have used a dimmable LED bulb with a lamp module. One that has electronics designed to dim smoothly.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »

I use a XPFM module to control a fluorescent ceiling light in my Breakfast Room (adjacent to the kitchen).   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

freeballer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »

I've seen a few with 2-3 dim settings. You must mean those.. Haven't thought of LEDs but thats a good idea
The room I'm in (bedroom) has no fixtures or switches. I might wire one later, or get someone to..

Are those small enough to conceal easily into/onto a fixture? do they have some mounting brackets?
What is its default state? on/off
eg. you switch the light on with a wall switch does it go on without issuing an x10 command as well?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »

The XPFM is not dimmable, it turns fluorescent lights  on and off only, no dimmable.

freeballer

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 01:35:22 AM »

thats cool I don't think I have anything thats dimmable in the house, actually.
its enough I have the right module for the right job..  If that changes though, at
least I'll know. Thanks

eddennis

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »

I am very confused!!!  Why is X10 not addressing this CFL issue directly.  It seems strange that x10 is withholding information and confusing consumers with their advertisement.  Frankly, I feel x10 over promises.  The qualifications and modification that sometimes have to be made to get x10 to perform as advertised are seldom mentioned in x10s advertisements.  The expense of electricians that are often involved to get x10 to work as advertised are never mentioned by x10. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »

I am not sure most of us here can answer your question on X10 addressing the CFLs. As we are all end users not associated with X10.

X10 has revised the Applance Modules to work with CFLs.

The electronics in CFLs don't like any brand dimmer. X10, Insteon, ZWave, UPB, photoelectric light controls.

X10 and other automation protocols have relay style switches that do not steal power through the load and are fine with CFLs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:37:55 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »

I am very confused!!!  Why is X10 not addressing this CFL issue directly.   
FWIW
Not sure what you are referring to. As Brian said, X10 has addressed some CFL issues with the newer Appliance Modules. Dimmable CFL bulbs can usually be used with a Lamp Module for dimming, but the Lamp Module can not be used with a standard CFL. Smoke from one or the other usually is the results after some period of time.

No "two wire" X10 wall switch (WS467, WS12, etc) can be used with CFLs or LED bulbs. The same is true for most all non X10 wall switch dimmers, they are only for incandescent appliacations. There is nothing X10 can do to address that.

As far as CFL noise wiping out X10 control signals; X10 came first, CFLs came much later. When X10 was desighned there were no noisy CFL bulbs or noisy switching power supplies, or UPS signal suckers, etc. X10 has addressed this problem with optional filters. The filters must be used on the offending noise source to stop the noise at the source. It will not work to try and filter at the X10 device. In other words noise filters can not be incorporated into the X10 modules and switches.

As far as X10 not mentioning the foibles of "noise", "phase coupling", and "signal suckers", no X10 does not advertise their products weakness. But then neither does GM, Ford, Verizon, GE, Samsung, Cisco, Motorola, etc.  I agree, X10 should explain in their marketing pages that repeaters and filters may be needed in certain applications. They do explain this in the wiki however, but new buyers do not usually know about the wiki's unless they drill down through all the "Only takes 5 minutes to set up!!" propaganda. 

I think there are X10 products where X10 Inc should be addressing problems, but they have probably done everything they can regarding CFLs.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »

I am using X10 appliance module to swtich CFL without problem.
Some CFL designed dimmeable. Most of them are not.
You can not blame X10 for CFL designed differently. that just not fair to X10.

I do see some problem with some X10 appliance module that when the CFL is really low power, it flickering when powering off. I think that has something to do with the switch not totally off.  Some X10 appliance module are working better than others for lower power CFL.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »

The older Appliance Modules with local control did turn back on with some CFLs. The later CFL friendly ones are much better.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »

I use Socket Rockets to control CFLs since they don't dim.  An ASK search for "CFL friendly" yealds nothing.  How does one find them?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

Dan; All the presently being sold X10 appliance modules are CFL friendly.
I believe the change happen at least a year ago.
Any indication of CFL friendly in the part number. No.
Some of the sales pages also don't point out that feature either.
Mentioned on a sales page for AHP with a free CFL friendly module.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:43:26 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.