Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sould I or Shouldnt I  (Read 4725 times)

Winkman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sould I or Shouldnt I
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Im Running AHP and plugins at ver 3.310 and everything is Working Perfectly [ timers lamps Etc ] well execpt My House online . I Gave up on That. Now for the Millon Dollar Question. Should i Keep It Updated  ?  Or Should i just leave well enough alone?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Sould I or Shouldnt I
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

Should i Keep It Updated  ?  Or Should i just leave well enough alone?

Yes. And I mean that! If you have everything working the way you want it why would you change a thing? But are these setups ever complete and who wouldn't want the latest improvements?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »

I recommend updating. The last few versions had some bug fixes for MyHouse in them, so you might want to try and see if you can get that working.

Winkman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:01 PM »

Well ok this is what i Learned with X10 Updates ... If its working fine with no problems and your happy with it LEAVE IT ALONE or your gonna have more Problems ... Sad Isnt It ! But Soooo True.... Love my Working Sys,But I will Never update again if i Dont Have To ........................... >*<

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »

I've gone the route of update, uninstall, reinstall gradually bringing it up to a somewhat stable version since early 2000's and I've had my overwhelming share of #$#UW@#$&@#@ is wrong with this software upgrade.  I say read the messages and see what is really working for the majority and then decide.  For me the last version 3.314 has been ok for my needs and MyHouseOnline has been working OK - just group pane issues but that's cosmetic.  Unless you are very comfortable with doing complete uninstalls, and I mean wiping out every trace of X10 and reverting to a known stable software base, then slowly doing incremental add-on installs before main AHP install and testing to see if it anything breaks in between, wait before installing the "latest" and "greatest" release till the rest of the community shakes the living daylights out of the release and reports back.

DeliBaker

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:35 AM »

Good advice delibaker.

So many times when X10 fixes one problem a new fault is accidentally introduced. That isn't unique to X10, however I do suspect that AHP is "messy on the inside".
FWIW I switched to Homeseer several years ago, and on more than one upgrade have introduced problems, so I have learned (as you recommend) to patiently wait for upgrade shake down before downloading. The exception is when the newer version will fix a problem my system is having,  as noam suggests.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:28:55 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »

I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment as I dive right in with the newest updates.  Fortunately I have software that monitors the software installation process and saves the changes so I can roll back the system fairly easily, most of the time  :', if the "new & improved" turns out flaky.

difend

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »

I agree with dave.
If you're thinking about an upgrade and your current system is running well, better have a roll back plan. I did my upgrade on a relatively vanilla W2k machine I had been using to run the house for three years.
Currently I'm running AHP from an xp laptop that has never had AHP installed, till we can figure out what the installation issue is. Even at that I am not sure i need all the bells and whistles of this software.
I'm reminded of when letterman said, can't i just get a cell phone i can make a call on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.