Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ActiveHome Pro looks promising again!  (Read 2435 times)

martin

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
ActiveHome Pro looks promising again!
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »

Ok folks, what can I say? I’ve been an active member of this forum when ActiveHome Pro got initially introduced and also helped out finding bugs with the help of a diagnostic CM15A unit.

I’ve stopped coming to this forum when X10 stopped making updates to their software and resolving any associated bugs, that was back in 2007.
My last ActiveHome Pro update was back in 2008 and had my CM15A running flawlessly for the past 2 years but with timers getting out of synch.

Went back to the forum this week out of curiosity and found out that a bunch of updates have been done in 2010 / 2011.  What the f**k!
Got excited and updated the software and worked on my configuration. To my dismay, after downloading my new configuration, none of my modules / sensors would work any more (I have about 20 of them).
Went back to this forum and read a bit more to find out about the “no soft start” module type.
Got excited again and modified my configuration, downloaded and voila! All is working perfectly! No glitch, no delay whatsoever. Macros are running great and timers are in synch. Seams to be way more responsive then before.

My faith is back in X10!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: ActiveHome Pro looks promising again!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

Welcome Back!
The "Timers getting out of sync" problem was one that was raised very early on, and commonly referred to as "clock drift." It is caused by variations in the 60Hz power cycle, and there isn't much that you can do to fix it. A few users had experimented with adding a few capacitors in strategic places on the board inside the CM15A, but that's about it.

Another solution is to keep the CM15A plugged into a running PC 24/7 (which is needed for most of the newer plugins, anyway). You don't need to keep AHP open, as long as the X10nets service is running. The service will sync the CM15A's time with the PC every two hours, which should correct any clock drift issues.

As for the updates, there have certainly been a lot of them since March of 2010. X10 brought in a new development team, so they were able to fix a number of issues with the software, and put out a whole batch of new plugins.

Unfortunately, one of the bugs they haven't yet fixed is the "Check for Update" function. It has been broken for a few years, so you need to go to the website to look for new updates.

Here is a link to the forum thread which lists the current bugs, as reported here by the users:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22373.0
When users report new bugs, they get added to the list (assuming they can be confirmed as a true bug, and not a one-off problem for only that user). When they get fixed, that is noted, as well.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.