Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't get time program to work but can control module from laptop  (Read 11149 times)

Livingston

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Installed a new controller and have set up some modules.  I'm able to turn the modules on/off from my computer but can't get them to run from the controller.

I've entered a simple timed event (on dawn off a bit later) but the programs, downloaded to the controller, don't work.  I have a phase coupler installed so, although not guaranteed, don't suspect an issue with the phases.

First time with ActiveHome sofware.  Am I missing something?

The modules are 3-pin appliance modules (AM466) with lights plugged in.

Thanks

Liv

Suspect this should probably have been posted in Troubleshooting.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:27:32 AM by Livingston »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Can't get time program to work but can control module from laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »

If you can control the devices manually from within the AHP software, then it sounds like you probably don't have a phase transmission issue.
Here are a few other things you can check:
1) What version of AHP are you running? 3.314 is the latest (as of 6/1/2011). What (if any) other plugins do you have installed?
2) Check to make sure that your location is set correctly within the AHP software, and that the Dusk/Dawn times look to be about right for the dates listed.
3) Make sure that your time AND time zone are set correctly in Windows.
4) Make sure the modules are set using the correct module type in AHP (don't set an Appliance module up as a Lamp module, etc)
5) Make sure to check the "Store in Interface" box when you set up the timer. Without that box checked, the timer will only work if the CM15A is connected to the PC, and the AHP software is open.
6) Check your Activity Monitor. Does it show the commands being sent at the time you expected them?

Some users have reported problems with dusk/dawn based timers. You can troubleshoot by trying to set the timer based on a specific time (ex: 6:30 AM) instead of using Dusk/Dawn, and see if that works for you.
If that works, let us know here. I don't work for X10, but I've been working closely with the developers over the past year to try and track and resolve a number of AHP issues, so I can report this to them for further troubleshooting.

Livingston

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »

Thank you very much for your post.  Having a diagnostic checklist is exactly what I was after (right now).

I can answer some of you question now and others (replacing dusk/dawn with clock settings) will take a 24 hour cycle to observe.

1) What version of AHP are you running? 3.314 is the latest (as of 6/1/2011). What (if any) other plugins do you have installed?

I'm running AHP 3.313 (check for updates shows it current).  The only other plug-in currently installed is an RF/motion sensor but I don't have that defined yet in AHP..  I do have a 3 receptacle and a couple switch modules installed.  Once I get things working I may replace some or all since they are quite old (assuming they don't work reliably with AHP).

2) Check to make sure that your location is set correctly within the AHP software, and that the Dusk/Dawn times look to be about right for the dates listed.

I had made sure the location was set correctly when I first installed AHP.  As I understand it the initial setting in AHP comes from my laptop setting which was right (i.e. I didn't need to change).

As mentioned, I have replaced the dusk/dawn used in the timers with clock setting to eliminate that variable.

3) Make sure that your time AND time zone are set correctly in Windows.

As noted earlier, I think AHP picked up its initial configuration setting from Windows which was correct.

4) Make sure the modules are set using the correct module type in AHP (don't set an Appliance module up as a Lamp module, etc)

I'm fairly certain the module setting are correct for the 2 plug-ins I'm testing.  Although I have a new plug-in lamp module available, I'm not using it currently.  I may eventually replace an appliance module with the lamp module.  Just need to remember not to use a compact florescent.

5) Make sure to check the "Store in Interface" box when you set up the timer. Without that box checked, the timer will only work if the CM15A is connected to the PC, and the AHP software is open.

I have to look for the check box you mentioned.  In the mean time, I make it a point to "download the module and timer setting" to the controller via the menu whenever I make changes so I assume it's producing the same effect.

6) Check your Activity Monitor. Does it show the commands being sent at the time you expected them?

I'm not currently in a location where I can check the Activity Monitor right now.  I'll do a check tomorrow (now that dusk/dawn are removed) to see what the log shows.  I'll post back if it shows something out of sync with the intent.

Again, thanks for the post.  My first impression of this forum is that it's a good one.  On the other forums I use I'm pretty diligent about making sure results are posted back.

Liv

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

I'm running AHP 3.313 (check for updates shows it current). 
Unfortunately, the "Check for Updates" function has been broken for a number of years. You can check for new updates here:
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
The latest version (as of 6/1/2011) is 3.314.

... I may replace some or all since they are quite old (assuming they don't work reliably with AHP).
If they are Lamp modules (a category that includes hard-wired wall switches designed control lights), They may be the older "non SoftStart" versions. Around 2008, X10.com changed the design of certain modules, but kept the model numbers the same. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell by just looking at the modules. However, there is a simple test. Turn them on, one at a time, and watch what happens. If they come on immediately at 100% brightness, they are the older (non-SoftStart) models. If they slowly dim up to full brightness (takes about a second or two), then they are the newer, SoftStart model.
The difference is important. AHP (since version 3.302) has defaulted to using the newer SoftStart behavior for modules in the "Lamps" category. The older (non-SoftStart) versions of those modules won't respond properly to those commands, though. If your modules are non-SoftStart, then right-click on them in AHP, and click "Edit Module." From the "Type of Module" drop-down, choose "Older Lamps (no SoftStart)", and then pick the correct module type from the "Module" drop-down.
Save and re-download your programming to the CM15A.

I'm fairly certain the module setting are correct for the 2 plug-ins I'm testing.  Although I have a new plug-in lamp module available, I'm not using it currently.  I may eventually replace an appliance module with the lamp module.  Just need to remember not to use a compact florescent.
See my note about the SoftStart and non-SoftStart modules (above)

I have to look for the check box you mentioned.  In the mean time, I make it a point to "download the module and timer setting" to the controller via the menu whenever I make changes so I assume it's producing the same effect.
It is not the same thing. When you download the program to the CM15A, it ONLY downloads those items that are marked as "Store in Interface." There are a number of functions (specifically macros that utilize some of the newer "online" software plugins) that cannot be run from the interface, and require that the CM15A be connected to the PC, and that AHP be left open 24/7.

One other thing I didn't ask earlier:
You ARE using a CM15A, right? X10.com sells a package that has AHP with a CM19A, and a TM751. That combination requires the PC to be connected and turned on, as there is no memory in the CM19A.

Livingston

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

Things have gone from bad to worse.  I can't get the plug (I'm testing with) to respond to commands from the PC.  I even moved it to the same circuit the controller is on.

I did find the check box in the timer window.  I assume you mean the "store in interface" one and its checked.

And it is C15A.  In fact, I ordered quite a few modules with the controller last week.

I can also pretty much assure you the receptacle and switch modules are old.  I suspect I installed them close to 10 years ago.  I'll run a test with the changes you suggested later today.

Also checked the Activity Report.  It just continues to add a status check every half second or so.

I'm not willing to start thinking about a bad controller but it's still in the "possible" list.  Although I'm quite comfortable understanding the software, I'm still assuming operator error.

Liv

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

Is the CM15A connected to the same outlet as the computer equipment?
Computers and accessories can make power line noise or absorb X10 signals.

Is the CM15A on a power strip that may have a surge and noise filter in it?
Noise filters in them can also absorb X10 power line signals.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »

Things have gone from bad to worse.  I can't get the plug (I'm testing with) to respond to commands from the PC.  I even moved it to the same circuit the controller is on.
What is the model number of the module you are testing with, how (exactly) do you have it defined in AHP?

I did find the check box in the timer window.  I assume you mean the "store in interface" one and its checked.
Okay, so the CM15a SHOULD be trying to run the timer (but you may still have issues with dawn/dusk based timers - that is a possible software bug they are investigating)

And it is C15A.  In fact, I ordered quite a few modules with the controller last week.
Thanks for verifying.

I can also pretty much assure you the receptacle and switch modules are old.  I suspect I installed them close to 10 years ago.  I'll run a test with the changes you suggested later today.
The difference is only important for "Lamp" modules (which includes wall switches that can dim). It shouldn't affect Appliance modules (as long as they are defined correctly in the software).
How were you controlling them before you got the CM15A? If you have another controller (plug-in, or wireless) that you can test with, make sure those modules are still responding.

Also checked the Activity Report.  It just continues to add a status check every half second or so.
That's really strange. that sounds like two-way module behavior to me.

I'm not willing to start thinking about a bad controller but it's still in the "possible" list.  Although I'm quite comfortable understanding the software, I'm still assuming operator error.
It can be tricky to get the system set up initially, which is probably the root of the trouble you are having.

One other thing to check is to go into the "Hardware Configuration" screen, and set the "Transcieved House Codes"  to "Manual." Then, make sure to check any house codes you are using.
Make sure that the HouseCode/UnitCode combinations on your modules match what you have in AHP. You might also try rotating the code wheels all the way around a few times. Sometimes the contacts get dirty, and they don't make contact in the right combination for the codes you want.

Livingston

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »

Is the CM15A connected to the same outlet as the computer equipment?
Computers and accessories can make power line noise or absorb X10 signals.

Is the CM15A on a power strip that may have a surge and noise filter in it?
Noise filters in them can also absorb X10 power line signals.

Brian, the last time I ran tests I didn't have the computer (laptop) plugged in at all.  And the controller is plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Tom

Livingston

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »

What is the model number of the module you are testing with, how (exactly) do you have it defined in AHP?
It's AM466 3-pin Appliance Module.  It's defined as Type:Appliance, Module:Appliance Module (3-pin).

I did find the check box in the timer window.
A follow-up question just to confirm.  So, when the "store in interface" is checked in the timer screen, AHP will automatically send any changes as soon as I change them (or when I close the app)(?)

The difference is only important for "Lamp" modules (which includes wall switches that can dim). It shouldn't affect Appliance modules (as long as they are defined correctly in the software).
How were you controlling them before you got the CM15A? If you have another controller (plug-in, or wireless) that you can test with, make sure those modules are still responding.

Before buying the new controller I was running one from SmartHome (a PowerLink 1132CU) that appeared to have failed completely.  I decided to replace and it was the folk at SH that referred me to X-10.com and AHP.  Since, with one exception (a 2-pin plug-in Insteon lamp module currently not in use and unplugged), all the modules are X-10 they were nice enough to recommend a much less expensive option.  Very nice gesture on their part!

Since I think the 1132CU is questionable and I'm not sure would work with AHP, I suspect that's not an option as an alternate test device.

That's really strange. that sounds like two-way module behavior to me.

I decided to unplug the controller and remove the batteries (in attempt to get it to reset).  I wanted to eliminate the "receive status" activity getting in the way of the controller doing anything else.  After I plugged it back in (with batteries) the Activity was still getting a receive status every half second.

It can be tricky to get the system set up initially, which is probably the root of the trouble you are having.

I'm still operating on the belief that it's set up issues.

One other thing to check is to go into the "Hardware Configuration" screen, and set the "Transcieved House Codes"  to "Manual." Then, make sure to check any house codes you are using.  Make sure that the HouseCode/UnitCode combinations on your modules match what you have in AHP. You might also try rotating the code wheels all the way around a few times. Sometimes the contacts get dirty, and they don't make contact in the right combination for the codes you want.

The button is actually called "specific".  I've selected it (instead of "automatic") and confirmed the house code.

Thanks again for hanging in there.  I really appreciate the time you're spending with me.

Liv

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »

...A follow-up question just to confirm.  So, when the "store in interface" is checked in the timer screen, AHP will automatically send any changes as soon as I change them (or when I close the app)(?)
No.
When the box is checked, then that timer (or macro) is included when you download the programming to the interface. When the box is NOT checked, then that timer (or macro) will ONLY work when the CM15A is connected, and AHP is open.

Before buying the new controller I was running one from SmartHome (a PowerLink 1132CU) that appeared to have failed completely.  I decided to replace and it was the folk at SH that referred me to X-10.com and AHP.  Since, with one exception (a 2-pin plug-in Insteon lamp module currently not in use and unplugged), all the modules are X-10 they were nice enough to recommend a much less expensive option.  Very nice gesture on their part!
Any SmartHome lamp modules MUST be defined in AHP as "Old Lamp" modules. They don't respond to the newer "Extended Dim" commands.

Since I think the 1132CU is questionable and I'm not sure would work with AHP, I suspect that's not an option as an alternate test device.
The 1132CU is certainly not compatible with AHP.
You had mentioned that you were no longer able to control the modules when the CM15A was disconnected from the PC. How are you trying to control them? In order to control anything directly from within the AHP software, the CM15A needs to be connected to the PC. I'm not sure what you were using for testing.

I decided to unplug the controller and remove the batteries (in attempt to get it to reset).  I wanted to eliminate the "receive status" activity getting in the way of the controller doing anything else.  After I plugged it back in (with batteries) the Activity was still getting a receive status every half second.

Sounds like something is still putting out those commands. Do you have ANY other X10 equipment (like the security sensors, or some Smarthome X10/Insteon modules)? If you can tell us exactly what yout are seeing in the log, we might be able to help narrow it down. You can export the Activity Log to an HTML file, then open that in your browser and copy/paste it here.

I'm still operating on the belief that it's set up issues.
Good! that means you're not giving up yet ;)

The button is actually called "specific".  I've selected it (instead of "automatic") and confirmed the house code.
Sorry, I was going from memory on that one.

Livingston

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:49 AM »

No.
When the box is checked, then that timer (or macro) is included when you download the programming to the interface. When the box is NOT checked, then that timer (or macro) will ONLY work when the CM15A is connected, and AHP is open.
Good clarification.  It sounds like I still need to send the changes to the interface (via the menu).  The "switch" just determines which modules and timers are sent when the download is executed.

You had mentioned that you were no longer able to control the modules when the CM15A was disconnected from the PC. How are you trying to control them? In order to control anything directly from within the AHP software, the CM15A needs to be connected to the PC. I'm not sure what you were using for testing.

I think I understand this one.  I don't expect a manual on/off to be successful unless the PC is connected to the controller.  What's interesting right now is that doesn't seem to work any more.

Sounds like something is still putting out those commands. Do you have ANY other X10 equipment (like the security sensors, or some Smarthome X10/Insteon modules)? If you can tell us exactly what yout are seeing in the log, we might be able to help narrow it down. You can export the Activity Log to an HTML file, then open that in your browser and copy/paste it here.

From memory, the "loop" is simply a time stamp and the words "receive" and "status".  I'll look more closely the next time I have the laptop connected to the interface and do a screen shot to attach then.

This is the complete inventory of devices on the wiring.  There are 2 brand new appliance 3-pin plug in modules (both are defined in AHP).  One is the test module I moved to the same circuit as the controller.  There are 4 wired in receptacles (all are defined in AHP).  There are 1 or 2 wired in light switch modules, one is defined in AHP.  There's also a plug-in RF associated with a motion sensor that is not defined in AHP.

And I haven't given up yet.  It's funny that you can get pretty dependent on having the lights on/off automatically.  We've had the luxury of living with a working system for a very long time.  Even if we determine that the controller is suspect, I assume X-10.com will be very cooperative in getting the issue resolved.

I still owe you a screen print of the Activity report.

Liv

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:14:05 AM »

The 1132CU {I have a few myself} will not run AHP as you suspected.
Only the Smarthome Manager Essentials or the Plus Version.

Smarthome called the 1132CU legacy and never updated the software for the new DST or any Windows version newer than XP.
We did came up with t DST workaround and someone did rewrite the Installer script to do Windows newer than XP.

AHP may not control you LampLinc Dimmer as X10 and Smarthome chose a different method to do dim commands.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:18:29 AM by Brian H »

Livingston

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »

Brian, thanks for confirming my assumption about the LampLinc.

The LampLinc was the only module I bought that was Insteon so it's not too disappointing to hear it may not work with AHP.  I don't use dimming anywhere in the house so it might be salvageable although I may have enough plug-in lamp modules.

I found out the 1132CU was no longer available when I started having problems with mine and was thinking about a replacement.  Good to hear a more thorough explanation.

I repeat my praise for Smarthome for their referral to X10.com and AHP (as probably best for my installed hardware and plans).

Appreciate your posts.

Liv

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »

As for modules,  you can get X10 lamp and appliance modules from X10, Automated Outlet (http://www.automatedoutlet.com/) and other sources on the Web.   I use Automated Outlet, their prices are fine and they have flat rate shipping regardless of order size.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »

An On or Off to the LampLinc should work fine. Dimming maybe a problem. Though calling it a Old before Soft Start Lamp Module. May have AHP send a stream of dim or bright commands.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.