Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BIG Attaboy for JeffVolp and jvde.us  (Read 5293 times)

alek

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
BIG Attaboy for JeffVolp and jvde.us
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »

I've been a long-time X10 users who has a rather unusual X10 application ... allowing people to control my Christmas lights over the Internet!   ;-)

More info at that link, but it's a pretty crazy home-grown setup cobbled together with dozens of X10 Super Sockets, Appliance/Lamp Modules, CM19's, TM751's and various other stuff that controls a couple of dozen circuits so that anyone in the world can click their mouse and turn ~20,000 lights on/off along with inflating/deflating of giant blowups such as Elmo, Frosty, Santa, and Homer Simpson - D'OH!    ;-)

It gets a fair amount of web traffic during the holidays (plus has raised over $50,000 for Celiac Disease), and my software limiter of two seconds for each X10 request often engages ... so it's a bit more extreme than your typical "on at dusk, off at dawn" X10 application ... HO-HO-HO!

As many of you can relate, getting X10 to work reliably can be difficult, and it's been a major headache every year trying to figure out the "magical" placement of the TM751's such that they are "seeable" from the CM19's and also have every circuit fire ... at least most of the time ... until some unknown CFL is turned on - double D'OH!  :-(

So I stumble across JV Digital Engineering and ummmmm, those XTB products sound like they would really, really help me. I end up chatting with Jeff Volp (turns out he's well known here on the X10 Forums) who is incredibly helpful with all my dumb questions. He ends up recommending an XTB-IIR and I received it yesterday. The packaging and product fit/finish is absolutely top-notch ... very professional.

WOW, what a difference it makes!!!

Some simple testing on a handful of circuits with/without the XTB-IIR showed a big increase in reachability/reliability ... and I can't wait until I can "production test" when I "warm up" for Halloween and then Christmas ... HO-HO-HO!   ;-)

There are numerous other threads talking about how good the JVDE products plus how great a guy Jeff is - his sharing of information is incredibly generous/useful - so he already comes highly recommended. But I figured an appropriate first post here would be to give him public attaboy - thanks Jeff.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:04:07 PM by alek »

pondo

Re: BIG Attaboy for JeffVolp and jvde.us
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »

Yes, and I will give Jeff another even bigger attaboy.
 I've been dealing with him and his XTB-IIR since late February '11 and have asked him numerous highly technical questions, not meant to trip him up, which none of them did, but Jeff is a real TRUE-TRUE-TRULY TRUE Professional and an outstanding Engineer like I loved to have with me in My General manager's organization of BellSouth Corp for State of Georgia.

He will tell you, right up front  when he doesn't know the answer, and does not engage in any Marketing Consultant's BS.

His XTB-IIR  I believe has worked flawlessly, but he never said it would.

Thanks, Jeff for you  products and you pro advice.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »

So I stumble across JV Digital Engineering and ummmmm, those XTB products sound like they would really, really help me. I end up chatting with Jeff Volp  ends up recommending an XTB-IIR and I received it yesterday. The packaging and product fit/finish is absolutely top-notch ... very professional.WOW, what a difference it makes!!!

This is probably a good time to point out that Jeff and JV Digital Engineering uses very high quality components. He could save money and increase his margins by using cheaper components, but he does not. Quality components definately make a difference in the performance and the reliability of a product.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »

Amen!  Excellent quality!!!    #:)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

alek

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »

Just circling back for a followup on this as I now have the XTB-IIR in production and man, does it work GREAT!!!

Since Halloween is the warmup for Christmas, I've "only" put up out 8,500 lights (and inflatables) drawing 35 Amps over 9 different circuits. You can view and control all of it on the Controllable Halloween Decorations for Celiac Disease webpage.

As mentioned before, it's always been a royal PIA to the find the "right" combination of TM751 transceivers (on the "right" circuits!) to hopefully maximize reliability ... and sometimes things would just flake out with circuits/zones getting "stuck" - who turned on the Microwave Oven?!? ;-)

The XTB-IIR/III (pictured below) seems to have addressed most of those issues (with one exception - noted below) via a single box in the Haunted Office. This is a MUCH simpler setup that addresses an aggravating problem I've struggled with for years.

So in case there is anyone on these forums who doesn't already know how awesome JV Digital Engineering is, yet another attaboy for their great products (the craftsmanship is exquisite) ... plus Jeff Volp is a genuine pleasure to work with.
alek

P.S. There is still one circuit which is erratic - located in the master bedroom. Like all the circuits, it is on the same phase ... but must be an especially long run from the circuit breakers and/or have a lot of noise on it. What's puzzling is even if I unplug everything else on that circuit, the problem persists. I might have to take a look at the XTB-ANR ... although my simple/cheap work-around for now is to simply put a TM751 transceiver on that circuit.

pancho

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

Hello!  I have been lurking/reading these home automation & X10 forums for several weeks, but I don't typically sign up to post on them.  However, I wanted to share my experience with Jeff & the XTB-IIR.    I ordered one from him with the hopes that it would eliminate the problems that I was having with my few X-10 modules for lighting.  (controlled from my alarm system)
I was pleasantly surprised at every step of the way;
-- ordering process;  I got super fast communication from him at every email request for info,  I couldn't believe how fast the unit arrived via priority US snail mail. (from St. George UT to Elk Mills, MD)
-- product;  As soon as i opened the box, i was impressed by the finish of this unit.  Very well engineered.  Every detail is of high quality.  Including the circuit board & components & connections.
-- installation; I didn't even have to drive this unit directly from the X-10 control!  I simply installed next to my Elect Panel and tied into a 240v breaker (both phases to breaker, neutral to its buss bar, and ground to its bus bar)
-- performance;  Wow!  It eliminated all of the issues I was having.  I even hooked my TED5000 back up (energy monitor which communicates over power).  No issues at all!    I like how the red LED flashes whenever it is relaying the X-10 signals.  I have an alarm system motion sensor in my basement that sends signal to X-10 which turns on light over my electric panel.  Whenever I moved around I could see the unit 'working'.   Kind of cool to have a 'window' into the fact that signals are present & being forwarded.

While it may not be good for us 'end users' - I don't know why X-10 does not buy this product from Jeff for a handsome amount, then resell it making it widely available.  ( and giving Jeff a nice payday for his efforts )

Please add me to the list of VERY satisfied customers!
Kevin Hughes

DrJ

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »

I really need to jump in here.  Jeff is not only an X10 wizard, he's a man of impressive integrity.  I purchased one of XBT-IIR units last Feb and like everyon else was thrilled with the improved reliability and performance.  Until just a few months ago, when things started getting flaky.  I figured I must have a signal sucker or noise generator, so I contacted Jeff last night to order a XBTM signal strength meter to track down the problem.  Before selling it to me, he suggested that I check the settings on my ActiveHome Pro that I had to re-install just about the time the problem started.  Sure enough, that fixed my problem and saved me $90--and cost him.  Savvy and fair; I wish that combination was more common.  Thanks, Jeff!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.