Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't open AHP  (Read 3593 times)

douggalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can't open AHP
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »

After several years of using AHP today it refuses to open and pops up the following error message.  "Error Getting X10Net Interface" I only connect to it a few times a year.  I have replaced the batteries and my computer recognizes it's attached to it.  Any ideas?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Can't open AHP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

X10nets.exe resides in C:/Program Files/Common Files/X10 Common. It should load when Windows starts.  If somehow it's not there, you need to back up your .ahx files to another drive or removable media, then uninstall AHP totally, reboot the computer and re-install it.   Good luck!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »

Uninstalling and re-installing seems a bit extreme if it is a setup that has been working for years.  If the x10nets.exe file is missing, you have to ask yourself, WHY is it missing.  Or did the file get corrupted and if so why?  If it is missing, you could just request one of the forum users to e-mail you a copy of that file and try placing it in C:/Program Files/Common Files/X10 Common.  Then run the file and see if AHP works.

There is the chance though that for one reason or another the service did not start.  You can check this by clicking start>run and typing "services.msc" (no quotes).  Once in services, scroll down to the bottom and find "X10 Device Network Service" and look in the status column.  If it does not say "started", double click on that and in the properties box look at "Startup Type".  If that is not set to Automatic, set it to that and click Apply.  Then click the start button under "Service status" and click OK.  Try running AHP again after that and see if it works, which it should.

Though uninstalling and re-installing would probably do the trick, I like to look for reasons why things happen.  Missing and/or corrupted files can be a sign that possibly the hard drive is going bad.  I work as a computer hardware tech and I see bad hard drives all the time.  Not saying that your drive is actually failing, I would try the steps above first and if that does not work, do as Dan says and uninstall/re-install after backing up your .ahx files.  If you continue to have problems though I would look into scanning your hard drive for errors.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »

After several years of using AHP today it refuses to open and pops up the following error message.  "Error Getting X10Net Interface" I only connect to it a few times a year.  I have replaced the batteries and my computer recognizes it's attached to it.  Any ideas?
Since the original post doesn't mention this, and nobody else did, I'll quote a line from my new favorite British sitcom ("The IT Crowd"):
"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

A reboot might be all that is needed to re-establish connection with the x10nets service.

douggalt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »

Thanks all for your help.  I had tried rebooting and was considering the un/reinstall bit, but I tried looking at the services that dbemowsk mentioned.  It was disabled.  Gee, I wonder who did that!  :'  That did it and I'm up and running.  THANKS!! :)%

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »

Happy to be of service
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.